Catholic Clergy Celibacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catholic Clergy Celibacy

Based on the growing list of past sexual abuse incidents reported by Catholic authorities in the USA, what should be done about celibacy in the Catholic Church?
    Abandon celibacy. This is a medieval idea that's actually provoking abnormal sexual activities, e.g. pedophilia.
    70.59%
    Leave celibacy alone. Those incidents are too few and it's too early to make a move against celibacy
    17.65%
    Undecided
    11.76%

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

If marriage is such a Holy Institute, let them get married and have families. I do not think that it would increase or decrease the number of incidences by sickos. I do not believe they are related. Someone who was not a sicko that needed to 'get some' would just go get a hooker or a woman. A sicko is a sicko.

Goblin
    Mega Campaign Screaming Eagles and Das Reich Design Team Member
    DAS REICH CAMPAIGN, and THE SPWaW ICON GUIDE AVAILABLE AT: The SP:WaW Depot
    In difficult ground, press on. In encircled ground, devise strategems. In death ground, fight.

Comment

Here's one thing though...Just because a pedophile has an opportunity for normal sexual relations with the opposite sex, will he/she lose his/her interest in minors?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
      --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

I do not believe so. I think the reverse is true. I think that he will hunt children exclusively, regardless of other opportunities. Thats why I believe that the celibacy thing is not responsible for these sick pukes.

I have gone 2 years before without 'getting some'. I felt no urges to go feel up a poor little kid. Now if Denise Richards had wandered by....

My point is that a sicko will do what sickos do. The priests would do a much better job at counseling people on marriage if they had a frame of reference like the shared experience of it. I also think they deserve to be able to be married.

Goblin
        In difficult ground, press on. In encircled ground, devise strategems. In death ground, fight.

Comment

2 years
          Black & blue from the TOAW learning curve!

Comment

Hello,

Interestingly enough, the institution of celibacy was established centuries ago precisely because of incidents like this. Originally, there were married popes and priests, however, their sexual lives were interfering with the Church's spiritual matters. In fact, so many people during the time of chaos (from the collapse of Roman Empire to about 1000 AD) found the church officials to be repungant.

In 1049, a man named Hildebrand (Gregory VII), whom the Roman Catholic Church considered one of the great popes, worked in five successive papal administrations and witnessed numerous preverted acts of priests and popes. He considered two great issues that needed to be reformed promptly, simony and Nicolaitism. It wasn't until 1073 that he himself become the new pope, did he began to reform the Church.

By making the priests take celibacy vows, it was believed they would remain loyal and give up on worldly things to focus more on the spiritual matters.

Even so, many priests and some popes continued to prostitute their spiritual offices and committed grave sexual acts in secret. In fact, several secret graveyards of buried babies were found under the nun convents and monastaries. The Catholic Church had and still do take extreme measures to cover up the sins of its priests.

I believe such incidents continue today, and the pedophile priests are just the tip of a huge iceberg about to crack.

Dan
            Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Foggy
              2 years
              I know. None as defined by Clinton anyways.

Goblin

Comment

It's unfortunate but it would seem likely that perverted priests have been around for a long time.
                I agree though that celibacy is not really the problem but sick minds. Kids are abused not just by some priests but also by people in the wider community as well.
                The big scandal is that the Catholic hierarchy knew that specific priests were abusing kids going back many decades and did little to nothing about it. It would appear that they tried to sweep it under the carpet and/or just move the offender on to another post.
                Well they are paying a price now as young people today turn their back on the Church and view most priests with deep suspicion. Unfair perhaps but who would leave their child today in the care of a priest unattended?
                http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

I don't know if there are any statistics on this, but, I think that when most priest's break their vow of celibacy they do it with adult female parishoners.

Comment

well, getting rid of celibacy is needed out here, there is large shortage of priests, because most youths, like me arent belevers. Or dont think celibacy is worth it.

[i only go to church for funeals weddings and bathisms]
                    French Soldier: You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

Comment

Originally posted by screamer
                      [i only go to church for .................. bathisms]
                      I hope that you mean baptisms, I'd hate to think that you go to church just to take a bath.

Comment

Mayhaps fair screamer bespeaks us of that Tart of Olde, to regale and entice with her tale so bold...the Wife of Bath.

Upon an amblere esily she sat,
                        Ywympled wel, and on hir heed an hat
                        As brood as is a bokeler or a targe;
                        A foot-mantel aboute hir hipes large,
                        And on hir feet a paire of spores sharpe.
                        Last edited by JAMiAM; 02 Mar 04, 12:21.
                        I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Originally posted by JAMiAM
                          Mayhaps fair screamer bespeaks us of that Tart of Olde, to regale and entice with her tale so bold...the Wife of Bath.

Upon an amblere esily she sat,
                          Ywympled wel, and on hir heed an hat
                          As brood as is a bokeler or a targe;
                          A foot-mantel aboute hir hipes large,
                          And on hir feet a paire of spores sharpe.
                          Yeah, I think it's just one of those European things.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                            Berlin.1945
                            by casanova
                            The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                            Yesterday, 23:41
                          • casanova
                            AW 169M
                            by casanova
                            The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                            Yesterday, 23:26
                          • JBark
                            What changed?
                            by JBark
                            There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                            Yesterday, 18:54
                          Working...
                          X