Jessica the leech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jessica the leech

New York: Despite a media blitz, the biography of America's best-known soldier from the Iraq war, Jessica Lynch, today appeared unlikely to translate into big cash as the first day of sales fell short of expectations.

After days of magazine covers, TV movies, tabloid tales and television interviews, first-day sales of her authorised biography, I Am a Soldier, Too: The Jessica Lynch Story, fell well short of other high-profile books like Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton's memoir, which had buyers lining up around the block.

Not a single copy had been sold by midday Veterans Day, at a Barnes & Noble store on Chicago's North Side, said an employee who declined to be identified.

"I've yet to have anyone ask about it," the employee said. At a Manhattan Barnes & Noble, an employee described interest as "moderate". "It certainly has not been exceptional." Another nearby store sold one copy by lunchtime.

An online bookseller Amazon.com, said the book ranked 21st in sales, well short of top-selling novel The Da Vinci Code and the latest get-slim-quick fad, The South Beach Diet.

A spokesman for the Lynch family could not be reached for comment, while her publicist at publisher Alfred A. Knopf did not return calls.

Lynch, who joined the Army to get an education and become a teacher, was captured in Iraq in March and held for more than a week.

When her story broke, some painted her as a "Rambo" who went down shooting - an image Lynch herself debunked in the book, saying her rifle jammed and she went down on her knees praying to God.

Her story captured the hearts of many Americans.

Author Rick Bragg, formerly a reporter at The New York Times, wrote in I Am a Soldier, Too that her public appeal was apparent from the start.

"She was a pretty, blonde American soldier and would look good on television," he said.

Knopf offered Lynch and Bragg a $US1 million ($A1.4 million) advance.

How the money was split was not made public and although Lynch will also earn all the book's royalties, sales would probably have to top 275,000 for her to see more money.

Knopf is a unit of Random House, which is owned by Bertelsmann AG.

Lynch, who appeared at a Glamour magazine award ceremony yesterday using two crutches to walk as she continues her rehabilitation, has appeared in television interviews and on the cover of Time magazine to coincide with the release of the book.

She was also the focus of the NBC TV movie Saving Jessica Lynch, which aired on Sunday night.
    I am a Soldier Too, The Jessica Lynch Story.

Public relations expert Lou Colasuonno, who handles celebrity crisis management, gave Lynch high marks for trying to dispel myths about her capture and rescue.

"She stood up and said she thought she had been used, that her story had been manipulated," Colasuonno said, referring to charges the Pentagon used the story of her rescue to bolster patriotic feelings during the war in Iraq.

Some soldiers who also risked their lives in Iraq seemed uncomfortable with Lynch being singled out for celebrity.

Pfc. Patrick Miller, awarded the Silver Star for saving the lives of Lynch and others in her capture, was asked by 60 Minutes if he was bothered by her fame "Mmm, somewhat," he said

Should Jessica make money from simply doing her duty ? Whilst others on veterans benefits struggle ? Including those who have lost loved ones due to Gulf War Syndrome ? I believe she should be put on trial for crimes of embarrassment against the US military machine - making the US military look inept and pathetic when staging her recue in an unguarded hospitial. Then she should be asent back to Iraq to finish her tour before she starts making millions at the expence of others. Buy her lies and be damned by the lord.

This "copy and paste" was brought to you by Marko.

Comment

Plenty of people post these educational columns. I remember one that was so ridiculus Marko himself later called it 'crap' or somesuch. Nothing particularly bad or surprising in this one: sour grapes from pfc Miller at the end and from whoever titled it (Marko?). When Miller says Lynch embarrassed the army it was actually the army embarrassing itslef if anything, although the whole incident did not trouble me.
      ...a man that can stand up for a principle and sit down on his own stool.
      -the Firesign Theatre

Comment

Originally posted by Prester John
        This "copy and paste" was brought to you by Marko.

Another great insight there from Pister John. Thanks John. And lets not forget to thank the British for forming our small Pacific State.

Many people cut and paste - or provide links - not illegal and to most useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Marko
          Should Jessica make money from simply doing her duty ? Whilst others on veterans benefits struggle ? Including those who have lost loved ones due to Gulf War Syndrome ? I believe she should be put on trial for crimes of embarrassment against the US military machine - making the US military look inept and pathetic when staging her recue in an unguarded hospitial. Then she should be asent back to Iraq to finish her tour before she starts making millions at the expence of others. Buy her lies and be damned by the lord.
          Okay...

Are you saying the soldiers shouldn't write their own memoirs? Or that they shouldn't make money at all?

Then I suppose we all shouldn't read Rommel's Paper, Manstein's Lost Victories, US Navy SEALs' memoirs in Vietnam War, Thyudidcules' account of Pelopponesian War, Ulysess' Personal Memoirs, and countless others...

Sure, they all had better personalities, commanding abilities, and were in position to influence the outcomes of wars, and things like that, but does that make them any less honorable than a fellow comrade in arms?

Marko, the soldiers either on duty or retiring were going to make some money long before you were born and will do that long after you die.

I say let Jessica Lynch have her 15 minutes of fame and she will be forgotten in due time...

Dan
          Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

I say let Jessica Lynch have her 15 minutes of fame and she will be forgotten in due time...
            Which, judging by book sales to date, her 15 minutes is up....

Comment

Hehehe...Marko...making cash is what America is all about. I've seen post-surgery pictures of Jessica's legs (gunshot wounds). She's messed up for life. At least she'll live it comfortably for the forseable future.

America is about supply and demand. If the populus demands bread and games, Ceasar delivers. If they want to read dramatic stories of Jessica's adventure, they get 'em.

But I do agree with you that ordinary troops don't get recognition for their efforts, look at my signature on the bottom.

What I don't understand why somebody like you, somebody who boils with hate for everything American like a teakettle on the stove, somebody who's so outspoken against the Iraq war is all of a sudden interested in recognition for ordinary American troops "because they don't get media attention". You want them recognized for slaughtering your beloved Iraqis?
              Last edited by MonsterZero; 23 Feb 04, 15:23.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
              --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by Marko
                Another great insight there from Pister John. Thanks John. And lets not forget to thank the British for forming our small Pacific State.

Many people cut and paste - or provide links - not illegal and to most useful.
                Let me guess. You dropped your pants and waved your backside at the monitor at the same time that you posted this. Good to see some original thought after all.

Now why don't you copy and paste and provide links.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero
                  Hehehe...Marko...making cash is what America is all about. I've seen post-surgery pictures of Jessica's legs (gunshot wounds). She's messed up for life. At least she'll live it comfortably for the forseable future.

America is about supply and demand. If the populus demands bread and games, Ceasar delivers. If they want to read dramatic stories of Jessica's adventure, they get 'em.

But I do agree with you that ordinary troops don't get recognition for their efforts, look at my signature on the bottom.

What I don't understand why somebody like you, somebody who boils with hate for everything American like a teakettle on the stove, somebody who's so outspoken against the Iraq war is all of a sudden interested in recognition for ordinary American troops "because they don't get media attention". You want them recognized for slaughtering your beloved Iraqis?
                  I don't hate Americans and you are not at war with Islam either. Nor am I anti-American.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X