Digging out the Foxbat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digging out the Foxbat

Some forgetful Iraqi squirrel has sown this Mig-25 Foxbat into the desert hoping that once the Americans go away this and others like her will sprout into the new Iraqi Air Force.

I've seen lots of different aircraft types burried in this fashion in the Iraqi desert.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.co...5/story019.htm

P.S. Note the famous "Let's Roll" quote on the cab of the transporter vehicle. I have often wondered why the Iraqis did not mount even a single intercept against the allies. If I were an Iraqi Foxbat pilot I'd go for it because it would be so classic: me against the entire air effort of the Allies! Just like in the movies. I could eject if I knew trouble was imminent. They have shown lots of self-sacrifice in the partisan war...Maybe flying is just not their thing...the'd fly because Saddam would make them.
    Last edited by MonsterZero; 21 Feb 04, 13:30.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

That's pretty funny. I know that Iraqi air training isn't that good but they could at least crash their plane into something like everyone else.

It's a shame that the Russians sold such a fine aircraft to such an inept Air Force. The Foxbat is one of my favorites. No one should ever even think of burying a 31. Did they have a protective covering to preserve the airframe? Or was it just straight sandbox digging. I think it would probably be the latter. It looks like it has a nice HUD.

Iraqi going up into American skies =
    Furthermore, they had calculated that if 25,000 of them died for every one of us, they would finish us first, for they were many and we were but few.
    -Hernan Cortez

The Pacific is our ocean. The power that rules the Pacific, therefore, is the power that rules the world. That power is and will forever be the American Republic.
    -Senator Albert J. Beveridge, 56th Congress

Comment

I don't rate the Foxbat that highly - it was/is an excellent bomber interceptor due to it's high speed and climb rate, but when it comes to a dogfight it is next to useless - give me a MiG 29 anytime.
      "Teamwork is essential - it gives the Enemy someone else to shoot at"

Comment

The most important thing to know about Foxbat is that its combat radius is a pathetic 150 miles making it little more than a human-controlled long range SAM. It goes straight up almost like a rocket, achieves an astonishing speed for a few minutes but then it runs out of fuel.

Allow me to take you for a Foxbat ride. Video extremely poor quality but you get to ride in the cockpit during low level pass. Download, unzip and play.

http://www.bushcat.com/mpics/avi/m25fby5.zip
        Last edited by MonsterZero; 21 Feb 04, 15:46.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
        --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Who said anything about dogfighting? The reason why I like this sucker is because it inspired the F-15. The similarities are obvious. This is one of those aircraft that would probably be fun to fly. Mach 2.5 never looked so damn good.
          Furthermore, they had calculated that if 25,000 of them died for every one of us, they would finish us first, for they were many and we were but few.
          -Hernan Cortez

The Pacific is our ocean. The power that rules the Pacific, therefore, is the power that rules the world. That power is and will forever be the American Republic.
          -Senator Albert J. Beveridge, 56th Congress

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X