Eureka! Bush has found them!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eureka! Bush has found them!

No...not WMD's, but all those missing manufacturing jobs!

He's just going to reclassify burger flipping as "manufacturing" and then crow about how many manufacturing jobs have been added to the economy on his watch. Now, does he think the American voters are really that stupid to fall for it, or to let him get away with it? You aren't...are you?

In the New Economics: Fast-Food Factories?

By DAVID CAY JOHNSTON

Published: February 20, 2004

Is cooking a hamburger patty and inserting the meat, lettuce and ketchup inside a bun a manufacturing job, like assembling automobiles?

That question is posed in the new Economic Report of the President, a thick annual compendium of observations and statistics on the health of the United States economy.

The latest edition, sent to Congress last week, questions whether fast-food restaurants should continue to be counted as part of the service sector or should be reclassified as manufacturers. No answers were offered.

In a speech to Washington economists Tuesday, N. Gregory Mankiw, chairman of the president's Council of Economic Advisers, said that properly classifying such workers was "an important consideration" in setting economic policy.

Counting jobs at McDonald's, Burger King and other fast-food enterprises alongside those at industrial companies like General Motors and Eastman Kodak might seem like a stretch, akin to classifying ketchup in school lunches as a vegetable, as was briefly the case in a 1981 federal regulatory proposal.

But the presidential report points out that the current system for classifying jobs "is not straightforward." The White House drew a box around the section so it would stand out among the 417 pages of statistics.

"When a fast-food restaurant sells a hamburger, for example, is it providing a 'service' or is it combining inputs to 'manufacture' a product?" the report asks.

"Sometimes, seemingly subtle differences can determine whether an industry is classified as manufacturing. For example, mixing water and concentrate to produce soft drinks is classified as manufacturing. However, if that activity is performed at a snack bar, it is considered a service."

The report notes that the Census Bureau's North American Industry Classification System defines manufacturing as covering enterprises "engaged in the mechanical, physical or chemical transformation of materials, substances or components into new products."

Classifications matter, the report says, because among other things, they can affect which businesses receive tax relief. "Suppose it was decided to offer tax relief to manufacturing firms," the report said. "Because the manufacturing category is not well defined, firms would have an incentive to characterize themselves as in manufacturing. Administering the tax relief could be difficult, and the tax relief may not extend to the firms for which it was enacted."

David Huether, chief economist for the National Association of Manufacturers, said he had heard that some economists wanted to count hamburger flipping as manufacturing, which he noted would produce statistics showing more jobs in what has been a declining sector of the economy.

"The question is: If you heat the hamburger up are you chemically transforming it?" Mr. Huether said.

His answer? No.
    I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

This is what congress have degenerated into dealing with?

A lot of people are paid to do unimaginably stupid work on taxpayers' sweat-stinking money. Go to Brussels, there'll you find thirteen to every dozen.

I keep my old rant up; we the west suffer from welfare sickness; any country which can afford or allow this kind of ridiculous wasting of resources is doomed. Those little f-s accepting to do this kind of reality twisting nonreal-work should be sent on fortification duty. I'll pay.

Bush et al in this case is exchangeable to any government, it sucks.
    "You can't change the rules in the middle of the game."
    "Hey, you just made that rule up."

Heil Dicke Bertha!

Comment

What's the problem with imposing such high tariffs or taxes on companies that move abroad that staying in the US will be more profitable to them? I always wondered why the government isn't doing this. Moving plants abroad is not really a cost reducing move, a car made in Venezuela is going to cost as much as one made in Detroit. A handful on individuals on top of the corporate ladder stuff their pockets with extra bonus money but other than them nobody benefits...

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
      --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by Dicke Bertha
        Those little f-s accepting to do this kind of reality twisting nonreal-work should be sent on fortification duty. I'll pay.
        What is fortification duty?
        "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

– George W. Bush

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero
          What's the problem with imposing such high tariffs or taxes on companies that move abroad that staying in the US will be more profitable to them? I always wondered why the government isn't doing this. Moving plants abroad is not really a cost reducing move, a car made in Venezuela is going to cost as much as one made in Detroit. A handful on individuals on top of the corporate ladder stuff their pockets with extra bonus money but other than them nobody benefits...
          Really Monster, you do know that for most products when they are ripe for thirld world, they will be produced cheaper there? With mechanised warfare, ay industry, it's all about production cost. Production cost is very labor-dependent. Venezuela is cheaper, period. Is today. Big capital looks at today, has no patriotic stance, goes with the flow. Big capitalism is, every little sod saving, putting his money into the flow. Fight it and die (remember the Clash? I fought the state anf the stete won).

I'll cheer you on though. May even take part if my backbone needs the stiffer, or I get just **** cross with things.
          PS Tariffs are ****. You are not the nation with the highest patents-pro-capita, thus you'd not be the ultimate gainer of research-industry-restraints?

Heil Dicke Bertha!

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Dan
            What is fortification duty?
            They'd be put digging trenches along the Berezina before the mighty Soviet onslaught, and with the prospect of manning them. Sorry, still in my Götterdämmerung in Osten haze......

Heil Dicke Bertha!

Comment

Well, if you have the buns lined up like on an assembly line and your job of putting meat patties and vegetables into them is a repetitive one it is a kind of an automated/industrial/manufacturing process. With the staff properly dressed in blue overalls I'd be almost convinced.

Comment

Moving plants abroad is not really a cost reducing move
                Then why do they do it? Instead of paying an American $6 dollars an hour (or whatever minimum wage is there) plus benifits, etc, you can pay a Vietnamese kid a couple dollars a day to make sneakers. The added transport costs surely don't make much of a dent, especially nowadays where shipping is usually registered in some off-shore tax-free haven.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Schenkel
                  Then why do they do it? Instead of paying an American $6 dollars an hour (or whatever minimum wage is there) plus benifits, etc, you can pay a Vietnamese kid a couple dollars a day to make sneakers. The added transport costs surely don't make much of a dent, especially nowadays where shipping is usually registered in some off-shore tax-free haven.
                  I should have been more clear. Yes, there are terrific savings but the savings are not reflected in the price of the final product the American customer purchases. The difference ends up in private bank accounts of the enterpreneurs. The American middle class is being destroyed due to the disappearance of quality jobs, the Vietnamese are just as stinky and dirty as they have been for centuries (because their American wages are still slave wages) and only the greedy capitalist wins. These outsourcing schemes look like they're straight out Jeffrey Skilling's book, I don't know.

Comment

I should have been more clear. Yes, there are terrific savings but the savings are not reflected in the price of the final product the American customer purchases. The difference ends up in private bank accounts of the enterpreneurs. The American middle class is being destroyed due to the disappearance of quality jobs, the Vietnamese are just as stinky and dirty as they have been for centuries (because their American wages are still slave wages) and only the greedy capitalist wins. These outsourcing schemes look like they're straight out Jeffrey Skilling's book, I don't know.
                    ?

Have you ever wondered why Walmart, if it were a country, would be the 15th largest economy in the world? Because an absurd percentage of their products are imported direct (no middlemen) from China. I believe that percentage is in the high 90s. Lower priced consumer goods gives the American consumer more money to spend on yet more goods, driving up consumption and fueling growth. I'm certain CEOs are patting themselves on the back with multi-million dollar bonuses after a hard days work of signing a contract to move a few factories overseas, but Walmart makes the concept of savings being passed onto consumers demonstratable.
                    "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

– Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

Comment

Walmart is the very foundry of Hell! Pure Evil.
                      I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Wal-Mart... the two syllables just bring to mind a strange flying smiley face and weird old people pushing carriages at you...

Yes Jam.. I agree with you all the way. The Foundry of Evil.. all that is evil. Everyone in China seems to like those Wal-Marts, and that just furthers what you said.. Example:

Wal-Mart=China=Communism=Evil

Therefore.. by the Communative property, Wal-Mart is Evil.
                        Furthermore, they had calculated that if 25,000 of them died for every one of us, they would finish us first, for they were many and we were but few.
                        -Hernan Cortez

The Pacific is our ocean. The power that rules the Pacific, therefore, is the power that rules the world. That power is and will forever be the American Republic.
                        -Senator Albert J. Beveridge, 56th Congress

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X