Warring Nations China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warring Nations China

This thread is devoted to the period in Chinese history (about 160 A.D. to 260 A.D.) that China was splitted by 3 major kingdoms which fought to unite/conquer each other during 100 years, following the collapse of the East Han Dynasty. Finally China was united under Jin Dynasty, only for a short time though.

Indeed, it devoted more to the games about this history. There are dozens of such games on the market. Most of them were made by Japanese companies ---- the Japanese were big fans of this history story, even beyond the Chinese themselves, the reason is there is a famous novel written in 15th century in China, which has been very popular in Japan since it reached the island. The novel is called "San Guo Yan Yi" in Chinese, meaning "the history stories of the three nations." KOEI, a Japanese major game producer, had a series of its "historical simulation" games on this topic. Now it is pubishing it is "Sango VIII". (sadly, I had the CD, but somehow it does not go with my system. ;( )

John: I will work on a spreadsheet about the characters for you ... tomorrow .. maybe ... too much US open these days .. and tomorrow, Steeler will be visible for me : )
    Last edited by ER_Chaser; 08 Sep 02, 15:58.
    Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Take your time,I just found my cd,it's VI Awakening of the Dragon.
    I'll have to start a new game to get the officers right,forgot that they grow old or get sick and die,theres also been several executions(those who will not submit must perish).Let me hop on the Red Hare then so i can swiftly get those names.

(I will miss the game tomorrow gotta work nights,hope the stillers get some payback on the patsys,that glass slipper of theirs is probablely getting a bit tight by now.)

Comment

ok here is a first part

of the spreadsheet, I will complete it in the next few days.

Everything were from my memory (or/and understanding :P) ... but please take a look at the names, are they appeared the same way in the game? I doubt if the japanese would have put them in the same spelling as Chinese. hmm... if completey incompatible, then the list could be useless for me. Let me know if that is case, then I may need to see the Chinese characters in order to figure the naming system in the game.
      Attached Files

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

Thanks ER,i'll have to look over these a bit later.I'm just curious about something,What did the chinese consider barbarians?was it people who lived differently then themselves or was it like the greeks and romans,if you didn't speak the language.i'm also curious about the role ethnic division played in this period if any.

Comment

Sad loss of Steelers

how disappointing the Monday night was

Actually you raised a very good question, John, about the acient Chinese. In fact, even until very recently, even after 1840, the Qing Dynasty was defeated by Great Britain, Englishmen were still considered "barbarian" ---- the traditional Chinese culture were very closed and self-centered. From the long prosper of over 3000 years, the idea of being the center of the world was formed so firmly that not even one Chinese ever questioned this. Partially this was due to the fact that in the very early acient time (around 1500 B.C.), the Chinese, surrounded by mountains to the west and ocean to the east, did not know any other living forms than themselves. Then they first time were challenged by nomads from northern border, roughly speaking the predecessors of the Turkish (not the mongols). Those people lived on horses and herding, very different from the agricultural "middle land" (so they called themselves). The Chinese defeat the invaders by a more powerful central control system and more advanced technology (bows, bronze and later, iron weapons) --- since then they started to know there are other races in the world, and called all of them barbarians. In Chinese, the word is "Yi". But it is also true that the meaning of "Yi" changed throughout history, in many late dynasties, it meant more like "foreigners" than "barbarians", but they all share a common implication: strong discrimination upon foreigners. This false image stayed in minds of millions of Chinese generations and generations, until it was replaced by another false image and another discriminative word "Yang Ren" ---- in late 19th century after China became colonies of all kinds of countries. This "Yang Ren" went to the other extreme, which means the foreigners are superior to us Chinese by all standards and on every aspects, "Yang Ren" almost means "God" ---- and Chinese were being ashamed about ourselves--- another strong discrimination, this time, toward ourselves. And this false image was only changed in the last couple of decades and still in the process of changing right now.

The two extremes are actually because of the same reason: ignorance. This is changing fast, esp. after the reform started in 1980s and even faster now after joining the WTO. Only when China completely knows the rest of the world and understand each other, the Chinese culture can develope a truly healthy image of people who live differently from ourselves. And this, I believe, won't take long

Comment

ER what program does the file run under?I tried everything i got and much of it is non-readabe.

Comment

MS office

OH, sorry, I did not ask you beforehand. It is a zip file ( I am sure you can unzip it) and inside, it is an Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. Do you have MS office or anything containing Excel? .... If not, I can make it a plaintext and send it to you tomorrow. But the problem is that the alignment could be confusing in different editors.

Comment

thats what i thought,i run off win.95.none of the newer stuff
                i got adobe acrobat and whatever else comes with the program.

Comment

http://www.3kingdoms.net

anything you ever wanted to know about the RTK stuff.

also, Romance of the Three Kingdoms is named for the book that was written x00 years ago. Very good history done in the same way as Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire.

I have RTK1,2,3,4 and 6 - 3 is my favourite - 4 starts getting weird with magic and stuff, and 6 is, well, lame. You can dl 1,2,3 from Underdogs I think. The books just worth readong for the historical stuff though
                  Last edited by Ivan Rapkinov; 15 Sep 02, 16:27.
                  Now listening too;
                  - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Hey thanks Ivan whenever i sober up i'll have to check out site. You read Edward Gibbon?i bought the penguins abridged addition and found it lacking.

Comment

Yeah, I read anything

currently reading Soldiers in Cities - Military Operations on Urban Terrain editted by Michael Desch. Is basically a compilation of articles on various urban operations and their outcomes, and the future of MOUT. Has a good section on Lebanon - both the initial Israeli occupation and the USMC placement there. Most of the contributors are ex-military, so it makes good tactical sense for the most part
                      Now listening too;

Comment

I should mention with the 3kingdoms site, if you have a question check out the forums - some very knowledgable people. Or they act very knowledgable...

they answered my questions anyhoo <G>
                        Now listening too;

Comment

lol

I did not even know there is such a site... very good, it saves me a lot of time to write up the stuff myself It wil be also extremely fun to visit that site to see if those guys are really "knowledgable"

Comment

Thanks for the help ER,appreciate the effort you put into it.

Comment

all my pleasure

John, you are more than welcome. And maybe we can dig out some fun stuff from the site the Ivan pointed out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X