Happy Birthday to President Reagan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday to President Reagan

Happy Birthday to President Reagan. He won the Cold War without firing a shot. Sun Tzu would be proud.

Originally posted by Custer6
    He won the Cold War without firing a shot. Sun Tzu would be proud.
    Well.....Only a few million people died in proxy civil wars relating to the Cold War power struggle, but other than that not a single shot was fired.....

Comment

Happy Birthday to President Reagan. He won the Cold War without firing a shot. Sun Tzu would be proud.
      Don't forget the Pope. I'm not a fan but he did contribute a lot of people power while Reagan worked the other side of the street (with Star Wars and such).

Comment

Originally posted by Prester John
        Don't forget the Pope. I'm not a fan but he did contribute a lot of people power while Reagan worked the other side of the street (with Star Wars and such).
        And don't forget Gorbatchev. Without him the end of the USSR wouldn't have been so peacefull. Imagine if he had been as Staline.

LaPalice.
        Monsieur de La Palice est mort
        Mort devant Pavie.
        Un quart d'heure avant sa mort
        Il était encore en vie...

Comment

Yes, they all the had courage to do what they thought was right.

Comment

He was there at the collapse of the Soviet Union. As for no shots being fired during the 'cold war', you may want to check out the Korean and Vietnam War Memorials on the Mall in Washington DC.
            And we are here as on a darkling plain
            Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
            Where ignorant armies clash by night.

Matthew Arnold

Comment

Originally posted by LaPalice
              And don't forget Gorbatchev. Without him the end of the USSR wouldn't have been so peacefull. Imagine if he had been as Staline.

LaPalice.
              If Stalin had been alive then the Soviet Union would have survived. As he told his comrades in the last years of his rule: ' When I am dead the Capitalists will wring your necks like chickens'.
              Looks like he was right about that anyway!
              http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Originally posted by Brevet
                He was there at the collapse of the Soviet Union. As for no shots being fired during the 'cold war', you may want to check out the Korean and Vietnam War Memorials on the Mall in Washington DC.
                Hi Brevet,
                Actually, President Reagan wasn't there for the collpase of the USSR. George Bush was President at the time. My post may have been to general. I believe it was the repudiation of the "detente" (appeasemnt?) foreign policy of Kissinger/Realpolitic and the enactment of the "Reagan Doctrine", allied with Pope John Paul and European leaders (deployment of the Pershing II's) that was the prime factor in this collapse. The bold flouting of the "Breshnev Doctirne" (Grenada) coupled with the hi-tech economic "Star Wars" approach by Reagan and the allies was the prime factor in forcing the Soviets away from military proxy wars into an "economic" Cold War. This was a war that the Soviets could and did not win.

To me, when you consider we were living in a world in which "activists" had the nuclear clock just a couple minutes from midnight, the fact that Reagan and the allies brought about the collpase without a nuclear shot is truly amazing.

I hope that in thirty years when China and India go down the same road of confrontation, a "President Reagan" in that part of the world will come forward with such wise strength of conviction to stop a nuclear exchange then.

Comment

The bold flouting of the "Breshnev Doctirne" (Grenada) coupled with the hi-tech economic "Star Wars" approach by Reagan and the allies was the prime factor in forcing the Soviets away from military proxy wars into an "economic" Cold War. This was a war that the Soviets could and did not win.
                  There were many, many factors (and decades of events) invovled in the Soviet collapse, in addition to Regean's or Gorbachev's policies. It's impossible to pin it on a single person or policy. It was the culmination of many policies and the efforts of many people.

Comment

Well this might seem a bit "sick"... but a few million casualties is pretty good compared to the number a cold war turned "hot" might have created.

Comment

Yes a very Happy Birthday to him. It makes me sad, though, to see such a great man suffer with alzhimerz

Thanks for looking!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scythe
                        Well this might seem a bit "sick"... but a few million casualties is pretty good compared to the number a cold war turned "hot" might have created.
                        In a way you're right.

My point was that the Cold War was hardly calm and quiet, and many shots were fired via proxy and civil wars, often through deliberate action of the two super powers.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Schenkel
                          There were many, many factors (and decades of events) invovled in the Soviet collapse, in addition to Regean's or Gorbachev's policies. It's impossible to pin it on a single person or policy. It was the culmination of many policies and the efforts of many people.
                          Hi Martin,
                          I humbly disagree. It was the specific policies of President Reagan and our allies at that time that created the conditions necessary for the collapse of the Soviets. I truly believe that without President Reagan, the Soviets would be here today.

As for proxy wars, I may be projecting inappropriate conclusions on your post when I detect some "moral neutralism" regarding the Soviets and the USA when it comes to proxy wars. If so, I disagree with your conclusion that both the east AND the west acted immorally in such wars.

Comment

Hi Martin,

As for proxy wars, I may be projecting inappropriate conclusions on your post when I detect some "moral neutralism" regarding the Soviets and the USA when it comes to proxy wars. If so, I disagree with your conclusion that both the east AND the west acted immorally in such wars.
                            You mean that the east may not have acted immorally? Because the west certainly did. This is not to say that I blame us but it's certainly a fact that we were far from the moral high ground. No one had that.
                            ...a man that can stand up for a principle and sit down on his own stool.
                            -the Firesign Theatre

Comment

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger proclaimed it Ronald Reagan Day in California and there were celebrations in Illinois, where he was born and went to college.

"Ronald Reagan's vision of 'peace through strength' impelled the decisive end to the Cold War, and his commitment to our armed forces contributed to the restoration of patriotism and pride in America," Schwarzenegger's proclamation read.
                              A gift from one tube to another.

Get the US out of NATO, now!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X