Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI raids computer nerd's house looking for the stolen Half-Life 2 code

Originally posted by Simoniker

TheXerox writes "According to a recent weblog post, a San Francisco native had his house raided by the FBI last week, and 'lost upwards of 9 machines, and lots of misc equipment besides' in a seizure related to the theft of the Half-Life 2 source code from Valve Software." The scanned-in search warrant posted on the site indicates the FBI were looking for "...any IP addresses related to any of the Valve internal or external networks... Valve passwords and/or usernames... any and all items... related to Valve Software, Half-Life, Half-Life 2", and the Hungry Programmers page mentions that "...several Hungries were raided on January 14th by the FBI and Secret Service, and their computers seized."
    This is part of the big Half-Life 2 theft story http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/boa...threadid=44522. If this guy has the code or was connected to its theft they should teach his skinny ass a lesson he'll never forget...
    Editor-in-Chief
    GameSquad.com

yes, it is pretty urgent nowadays we need a stronger and more sophisticated internet/computer criminal law system.
    Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

well, the guys who stole that code should get a huge spanking session.

i was really looking forward to HL2
      French Soldier: You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

Comment

apparently some russian coders used the stolen code + graphics to compile the game and are already selling a 'demo' of Half-Life 2, month before the game is officially released

"The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose."

Henry Alfred Kissinger

Comment

Gordon Freeman looks older

btw russian eh, are the nukes still pointed at them??
          French Soldier: You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

Comment

You know what's REALLY amazing? That buffer overflow in the Outlook preview pane has been known-of for at LEAST a year. Make's you wonder about Valve's competency in the IT security department!

Comment

Well he should go to jail for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Kraut
                apparently some russian coders used the stolen code + graphics to compile the game and are already selling a 'demo' of Half-Life 2, month before the game is officially released
                That's a disgrace. Am I going to stand here and tell everyone on this forum that I have never used a copy of any program? No, I'm not going to tell that lie. But I will say that if I do continue to use it I go fork out the money and buy the real thing. More or less, I have used copies of a few utility-type programs as a "demo" of sorts. I never do this with games. The game companies are small and they deserve, and need, the financial support.

Anyway, using a bootleg in a pinch is one thing. Illegally accessing someone's computer and stealing their intellectual property before it's even been released is something far different. This guy should go to jail or do community service. His profits should go to Valve.
                Editor-in-Chief
                GameSquad.com

Comment

Naa, it's not that bad, as far as I know the russian HL2 is basically just one level and some engine demos, so it's in no way the real game but more like a demo.

But I'm sure Valve hast already moved heaven and hell to stop this illegal version from beeing sold and is probably already engaged, trying to catch the coders who released the game.
                  "The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose."

Henry Alfred Kissinger

Comment

Originally posted by Don Maddox
                    Anyway, using a bootleg in a pinch is one thing. Illegally accessing someone's computer and stealing their intellectual property before it's even been released is something far different. This guy should go to jail or do community service. His profits should go to Valve.
                    Really. A bootleg is still a stolen copy and you are ripping someone off by using it. I'm surprised at you Don.
                    Last edited by Priest; 22 Jan 04, 11:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
                      Really. A bootleg is still a stolen copy and you are ripping someone off by using it. I'm surprised at you Don.
                      As I said above, in the past I have used a bootleg to see if I like something, but I haven't done that in years. How many people on this forum have never ever used a file or program that someone gave them?

I'm not advocating it, I'm just admitting that I've done it a few times in the past. Shame on me. In my own defense, however, I now own all of those products so no one lost any any money.

I'm glad General Editor isn't an elected position...
                      Editor-in-Chief
                      GameSquad.com

Comment

Originally posted by Don Maddox
                        I'm glad General Editor isn't an elected position...
                        No worries, Don. There're plenty of spin doctors around here that would make your trangression seem positively saintly...[what?!?!...no halo smiley?]

And besides...you are the one in charge of the voting software. How could you lose?
                        I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X