What kind of trial should Saddam get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of trial should Saddam get?

I personnally think that it should be joint Iraq and American military trial. I really don't want the UN to get involved with the trial because they oppose the death penalty. And he deserves to die.
    Amercian Military tribunal
    0.00%
    Trail by the Iraq justice system
    78.57%
    International Trial by UN
    7.14%
    Joint Iraq and American trial
    14.29%
    Other: specify in post
    0.00%

Thanks for looking!!

Iraqi trial or turn him over to the Iranians.
    "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

I voted a joint American-Iraq trial.

Comment

A trial in 3 parts:

"The breath of god"
        "Walk in the footsteps of god"
        "A leap from the lion's head"

OR

The Shaolin monastery trial where he has to overcome a lethal obstacle course and then reach the iron vessel filled with burning coals. He must embrace the red-hot vessel with bare hands and carry it a short distance. The fiery vessel will burn the sign of the dragon into his forearms.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
        --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Another good question? I have yet to reach a decision on this. The US should not put him on trial. The Iraqi people, the establishment of an Arabic tribunal, or the Warcrimes Tribunal are the top three in my head.

Trial in Iraq is the most favorable given the fact most of his crimes were committed there. However, I question whether he can get a fair trial there.

An Arabic tribunal serves our interest to some extent. However, it is risky. Woud leaders, guilty of similar conduct be willing to establish a precedence punishing such behavior?

The International Warcrimes Tribunal suits the west, but I question whether or not the Iraqi people would be comfortable with this.

So it is a tricky question. In the end, someone might end up less satisfied than others.
          "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

The funny thing with a trial is if Saddam have to speak about its cooperation with foreign countries, USA, France, Russia...
            At the same time there are a number of his follower who cooperate and work with the Americans in the new Iraq. Not sure that they find the idea of a trial very funny.
            Anyway this trial is so important, and will take so many time that it will be a part of the reconstruction and the democratization of Iraq.

LaPalice.
            Monsieur de La Palice est mort
            Mort devant Pavie.
            Un quart d'heure avant sa mort
            Il était encore en vie...

Comment

Now a serious response.

Saddam should be tried by a court made of Iraqis and possibly Kuwaitis-as long as the latter neighbors volunteer to participate and the Iraqis accept.

There should be no Americans in the tribunal lest anti-American Arabs in the region start screaming the tribunal is an American entity with a handful of Arabs "added for public relations purposes".

However, the Iraqis will probably say they want to postpone the trial for now because of a couple of problems.

First of all, the new Iraqi government is only beginning to brainstorm for the new constitution that spells out the duties and limitations of the legal system.

Second, the new Iraqi government has imposed a temporary moratorium on the death penalty. I bet they'll want to begin by legal maneuvering to remove this obstacle which prevents Saddam's execution.

Keeping Saddam alive in prison will be highly undesirable for the new Iraqi authorities. With so many Saddamists in the country it would only invite more unrest, maybe even full-scale assaults on the prison by suicidal mob.
              Last edited by MonsterZero; 15 Dec 03, 08:44.

Comment

Well I read on the news today that it will be an Iraqi trial... President Bush announced it. And something tells me he will get the death penalty from the Iraqi people, after all they're the ones he's killed and tortured. I agree he deserves the death penalty.

Comment

I'd like to mix in Chuck's idea and Monster zero's.
                  Have a joint Iranian/Kuwaiti tribunal judge Saddam.
                  After all, those are the 2 countries he attacked.
                  Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

No, Iran is a terroris state. Most of the ordinary citizens are innocent but there is overwhelming evidence against the theocratic government. You don't invite terrorists to participate in any political process. No deals with terrorists, their supporters and their fiananciers.

Comment

The Iranians have legitimate grieviences against Saddam for the eight year war he launched against them. The pain this has caused goes well beyond the issues we have with their government.
                      "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

This COA could even lead to a strengthening of the Iranian dissident movement and eventually bring a rapprochment in US/Iran relations. Also the present grief the Palestinians are wailing about with Saddam's capture would possibly fade away with the Iranian involvement.
                        Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Of course, we could always resign ourselves to the inevitable.

.......that Saddam will be conveniently assassinated by any number of his enemies; with or without US support.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero
                            A trial in 3 parts:

"The breath of god"
                            "Walk in the footsteps of god"
                            "A leap from the lion's head"

OR

The Shaolin monastery trial where he has to overcome a lethal obstacle course and then reach the iron vessel filled with burning coals. He must embrace the red-hot vessel with bare hands and carry it a short distance. The fiery vessel will burn the sign of the dragon into his forearms.
                            Very wise grasshopper.

Comment

We (the U.S. of A.) have him now. Whoever we give him to will gain boucoup ju-ju points. "I now have custody of Saddam, thus I am the legitimate ruler of Iraq." No doubt that we will be able to reach an arrangement with whomever takes custody of Saddam that in exchange for his custody they do with him what we tell them to do. My bet is that the trial will be about a month long and start late next September.
                              Last edited by Gary Owen; 16 Dec 03, 00:07.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X