No spam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No spam

Heard on the news today that GWB is getting closer to getting his anti-spam legislation passed. It seems like it will be just like the no-call list for telemarketers so you have to sign up for it. Is this good or bad? Considering the fact that a lot of free websites use spam to stay open will this lead to more of these sites charging money?

I can see it now. I'll sign up, and they'll sell my email address to 'interested third parties' that want to sell me anti-spam software...
    "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

I will not do any good.

The vast majority of spam these days is coming from outside of the US or from what are called Open Relays. Open Relays(or Open Proxy's) are PCs that have been 'taken over' if you will by a trojan type virus. This virus simply does one of two things, if the PC is on an open style network(Port 25 is unblocked for anything) the virus will cause the computer to act like a mail server and send tons of spam out across the connection. On a closed network(Were port 25 is restricted) the virus will then try to use the SMTP mail servers the PC has on file to send out the bulk email. Must people never know this is going on since the PC is being highjacked behind the scenes. In fact most don't find out until I shut off their internet connection and make them call in.

The number of spammers using their own local machine is dwindling at a fast pace; I deal with very few of those and a ton of these Open Relays.

The bill is nothing more then a feel good measure.

Also, AFAIK, this bill does not target Pop-up ads so it should not effect those sites.
      "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

It has to be dealt with on the international scene, and 'coordination difficulties' are liable to make any effort a bandaid solution at best.

As you say, Tim; although in spirit, this is a fine Bill, it won't accomplish SFA.
        "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Mantis
          It has to be dealt with on the international scene, and 'coordination difficulties' are liable to make any effort a bandaid solution at best.

As you say, Tim; although in spirit, this is a fine Bill, it won't accomplish SFA.
          True Mantis.

Comment

I hate spammers.........I had the statisfaction today of dissconnecting a spammer and then blacklisting them from our Cable Internet service. Forever. Damm A-hole tried to give me some tall tale and a half......
            "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X