Palestinians Wave the White Flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palestinians Wave the White Flag

With the world public opinion dozing off the last months of the recent intifada, the Palestinian militant groups wave the white flag. In the process, they reveal lack of faith in the political course they are pursuing.

Scores of people from both sides killed, burried and forgotten. Life goes on.

The process has come a full circle.

Was it worth it?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/...ast/index.html
    Last edited by MonsterZero; 03 Dec 03, 21:13.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

I wouldn't count them out quit yet.

Comment

If it happens, then good. But I have my doubts....
      "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

We can not expect a complete end to the violence. The terrorists don't control all the factions carrying out these acts. Yet, it is not unrealistic to see a commitment toward peace by these groups. If they do agree to a ceasefire, the United States must apply pressure on Israel to make somekind of concilatory move, such as a major withdrawal and/or a halt to settlement expansions (which should be policy in any case). Should Sharon refuse, the US should conclude Israel's policies no longer support our own, and cut aide.

I, like Priest and Tim McBride, am not so hopeful. I also don't like the ideal of negotiating with terrorists. Yet, given the sorry state of affairs there, I believe we should encourage any overture that might lead to long term peace, given it is realistic and reasonable.
        "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

I agree with the above posters. This truce seems more like a means for both sides to catch their breath and consolidate their positions before going at it again sometime in the near future than as a portent to a more permanent and lasting peace.

I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong though.
          -----------------------------------
          Sings we a song of wolves.
          Who smells fear and slays the coward.
          Sings we a song of man.
          Who smells gold and slays his brother

Comment

Let's hope the best...
            a brain cell

Comment

Hello,

This is way off-topic, it's about Geneva Accords.

I am genuinely surprised that Israel would ever allow a private citizen to negotiate with a foreign member of Palestinians. Both worked on Geneva Accords, which I think is a terrible mistake.

Israel should get its own Logan Act, for those of you who don't know what this means, the Logan Act was passed in 1799 when Adams was not happy with Thomas Jefferson asking his close friend, a private citizen, to carry a message to France to try and avoid the war with France. The Logan Act was supposed to prevent such inteference of private citizens trying to undermine the duly elected government's responsibilities in the foreign policy matters.

It was distasteful of people trying to work behind Israel's democratic government's official policy.

I don't care how you justify that one, how would you feel if I decided to conduct my own foreign policy without consulting Bush? I'm sure a lot of you would be extremely upset with me.

Dan
              Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

I think it does not matter government or civil brings the peace. I did not know Logan Act, but does not seems to me so important than stop-killing anywhere, anytime, even a government not so important.

If we think government is more important, think SU, in the last minutes they could decide to start the nuclear war...
                a brain cell

Comment

John Adam's motivation for pushing the Logan Act had nothing to do with protecting foriegn policy from interferance by private citizens. He was angry at Thomas Jefferson, who was a rival of his. George Logan, the man who carried the letter, was not punished, nor has anyone else. While the Logan Act has been referred to on a number of occassions since its enactment, the motivation remains political.

The Logan Act is very unclear. It doesn't take into account all aspects that can influence policy. A person can indirectly influence American foriegn policy by simply negotiating a business contract. Furthermore, it doesn't define what an "official delegate" is. This is an issue that has yet to be resolved today. The employment of private citizens, particularly former heads of state, has benefited the interest of the American foriegn policy. The First Amendment would also be an issue.

Finally, a private citizen does not retain the power to fulfill any agreement he or she makes with a foriegn government. Agreements must be approved by the appropriate branch(s) before the American government can commit to it. Thus, the private citizen does not necessarily restrict the authority our government.

I doubt any government would take anyone serious if they did not know for certain his mission was supported by the official government. Let's not forget, George Logan was asked by Thomas Jefferson, who was at the time, Vice President of the United States, to carry his letter to the French government. That in itself implies government support. If this was not in accordance with US foriegn policy at the time, Jefferson, not Logan, should have been held accountable.
                  "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Hello,

Originally posted by Cheetah772
                    I am genuinely surprised that Israel would ever allow a private citizen to negotiate with a foreign member of Palestinians.
                    As far as I know, Israel is a democracy and its citizens are free to meet whoever they want wherever they want. Further more, neither side at Geneva benefits from governmental endorsement. From an official point of view, nothing has been negociated, nothing has happened at Geneva (even if from a political point of view matters are quite different).
                    Originally posted by Cheetah772
                    ...how would you feel if I decided to conduct my own foreign policy without consulting Bush?
                    ... interested, to say the least.

More to the point, chances of success for this plan, be it official or no, seem very dim.

Nemo

Comment

Heaven forbid that common citizens might get together and discuss ways to live peacefully. Imagine what a terrible trend that might set...
                      I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Originally posted by JAMiAM
                        Heaven forbid that common citizens might get together and discuss ways to live peacefully. Imagine what a terrible trend that might set...
                        Yup, through the duly elected government whose power comes from the people themselves.

Whether you like it or not, the Israeli government is the official representation of the sovereign state of Israel, not some private citizens taking the matters into their own hands.

Yes, Heaven forbid YOU from conducting private peace negotiations with the enemies of this great country (I know how much you want to screw America to wall), and yes, Heaven forbid I take the matter into my own hands without consulting anybody or an official approval.

For once, you're not making a lot of sense. Wake up and smell coffee.

Dan
                        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by JAMiAM
                          That would be the end of it all...

Nemo

Comment

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is about to face a disaster of biblical proportions.
                            Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical?"
                            Dr. Raymond Stantz: We mean real wrath-of-God type stuff. Plagues, darkness--
                            Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
                            Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes--
                            Dr. Peter Venkman: Riots in the streets, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!
                            I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Cheetah,

I don't need the government to tell me who I can, and can't talk to. What I can, and can't talk about. If I want to talk about peace, and I want to brainstorm with members of a group who I've been at odds with, I will.

Next, you'll want the government to grant permission on when and how to wipe your butt. Did you get your neighborhood political officer's approval this morning? Or, were you subversive while you wiped? Did you use the state approved allotment, or did you just wad a bunch and wipe with abandon?

Just kidding...I don't really want to know.

...sings "And if I want to use pastel colored toilet paper, 'tain't nobody's bizness, but mah own..."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X