Internet tax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet tax?

Just heard a commercial for internet providers, they said that the bill that excluded internet providers from being taxed has expired. There seems to be a lot of lawmakers that are at this moment devising ways to tax your internet usage. Such plans include broadband usage, number of bytes downloaded and number of emails sent. It's even possible that you could get taxed for getting spammed. We need to get the internet excluded from taxes....permanently.

Why weren't the internet providers taxed from the start? Now it just gives them an excuse to jack up prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Schenkel
      Why weren't the internet providers taxed from the start? Now it just gives them an excuse to jack up prices.
      No according to the commercial that I heard they were exempt from being taxed and your right Martin, this will give them an excuse to jack up prices.

Comment

ISP's are not exempt from corporate taxes.
        What is exempt are sales made over the net that take place between parties in two different states. Also the use of Internet based phone calls are tax exempt/(gov can't figure out how to tax them). Etc...
        "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McBride
          ISP's are not exempt from corporate taxes.
          What is exempt are sales made over the net that take place between parties in two different states. Also the use of Internet based phone calls are tax exempt/(gov can't figure out how to tax them). Etc...
          Well I guess that, that is what they are going to tax then, right now they have three plans. This is according to the industries spokesman.

Comment

I will write to those lawmakers and tell them I'll collect samples of my stool in jars so they can be properly counted and taxed. After all, why shouldn't I be taxed when I distribute waste to the environment?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
            --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero
              I will write to those lawmakers and tell them I'll collect samples of my stool in jars so they can be properly counted and taxed. After all, why shouldn't I be taxed when I distribute waste to the environment?
              Very good Monster, I agree they tax everything else so why not our s**t as well. I think that I will fire off a letter of inquiry to my ISP, just to make sure.

Comment

I see Internet taxes as inevitable. As more people shop online, tax revenues will likely decline. Honestly, how many of you are planning on heading off to the malls to do your Christmas shopping? Why worry about screaming kids, pushy customers, and all the other crap. It's much easier to hop online, and checkout Warfare HQ, and while reading one of the many essays posted daily here, open up a new window, and shop. Sure you might pay alittle for S&H, but in the end it's likely worth it.

Right now, the only reason I support a tax is as a counter-measure to the RIAA and MPAA campaigns that have been going on for six months now. If allowed to continue, I believe they will harm consumer confidence and start a major copyright war in the courts. At one time, an editor warned me that using spellcheck included with MS Word in articles for profit could be seen as copyright infringement.

I feel we should worry more about figuring out how such a tax system should work. Otherwise, we're going to get caught with our pant's down, like the RIAA/MPAA, when reality sets in.

As you can see, I am mainly concerned about sell taxes. Taxing people simply to surf seems a tad bit silly. They already tax my telephone service and electricity.
                "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X