Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The last person to reply to this thread is the winner!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by No_Nickname
    Hey Cap. Teancum why do you have a really long name.
    Well, let's see, my grandfather on my dad's side was named Manuel Alves, than he named my father Manuel Gonçalves (my grandmother's family name) Alves.
    When I was born my parents named me Luís Manuel Ribeiro (mom's) Alves (dad's). Belive it or not, when I decided to get married I took my wifes name, ence "dos Reis".
    My wife's name is Maria de Fátima Santos Alves dos Reis, I always thaught it was cool for husband and wife have the same name. Since her name was already long and to be honest it would be kinda dumm, for her to add Alves in her name (Maria de Fátima Santos Alves dos Reis Alves - see what I mean), I decided to take her last name. So now we're both Alves dos Reis.
    If it all sounds funny to you, don't worry it's just the portuguese way...

    On a curious note, the portuguese kings did have some long names, mine his tiny compared to theire's. Just a couple of exemples:

    D. Maria II: Maria da Glória Joana Carlota Leopoldina da Cruz Francisca Xavier de Paula Isidora Micaela Gabriela Rafaela Gonzaga

    D. Luís I: Luís Filipe Maria Fernando Pedro de Alcântara António Miguel Rafael Gabriel Gonzaga Xavier Francisco de Assis João Augusto Júlio Valfando

    D. Carlos I: Carlos Fernando Luís Maria Vítor Miguel Rafael Gabriel Gonzaga Xavier Francisco de Assis José Simão

    D. Manuel II: Manuel Maria Filipe Carlos Amélio Luís Miguel Rafael Gonzaga Xavier Francisco de Assis Eugénio

    See what I mean.
    Last edited by Cap. Teancum; 25 May 06, 11:17.
    All warfare is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans


    Comment


    • Ouch... Sunburns suck... (Yeah Filipinnos can sunburn... I didn't believe it either)

      BUT DESTIN, FL ROCKS!!!!

      My shoulders are nice and red right now...
      The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

      Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Tom Phoenix
        For starters, beacuse you don`t have one
        I do have one.
        "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

        CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

        Comment


        • I think the Portugese are Compensating for Something
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Cap. Teancum
            Well, let's see, my grandfather on my dad's side was named Manuel Alves, than he named my father Manuel Gonçalves (my grandmother's family name) Alves.
            When I was born my parents named me Luís Manuel Ribeiro (mom's) Alves (dad's). Belive it or not, when I decided to get married I took my wifes name, ence "dos Reis".
            My wife's name is Maria de Fátima Santos Alves dos Reis, I always thaught it was cool for husband and wife have the same name. Since her name was already long and to be honest it would be kinda dumm, for her to add Alves in her name (Maria de Fátima Santos Alves dos Reis Alves - see what I mean), I decided to take her last name. So now we're both Alves dos Reis.
            If it all sounds funny to you, don't worry it's just the portuguese way...

            On a curious note, the portuguese kings did have some long names, mine his tiny compared to theire's. Just a couple of exemples:

            D. Maria II: Maria da Glória Joana Carlota Leopoldina da Cruz Francisca Xavier de Paula Isidora Micaela Gabriela Rafaela Gonzaga

            D. Luís I: Luís Filipe Maria Fernando Pedro de Alcântara António Miguel Rafael Gabriel Gonzaga Xavier Francisco de Assis João Augusto Júlio Valfando

            D. Carlos I: Carlos Fernando Luís Maria Vítor Miguel Rafael Gabriel Gonzaga Xavier Francisco de Assis José Simão

            D. Manuel II: Manuel Maria Filipe Carlos Amélio Luís Miguel Rafael Gonzaga Xavier Francisco de Assis Eugénio

            See what I mean.
            One of my friends is named Larry and his real name is Laurence. He married a girl with the last name of Olivier and we tried to convince him to take her last name instead but he wouldn't.
            Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Psycho
              One of my friends is named Larry and his real name is Laurence. He married a girl with the last name of Olivier and we tried to convince him to take her last name instead but he wouldn't.
              There's a local here in town with the name... Harry Hand (insert joke here).

              I kid you not. Parents can be sooooo cruel.
              Vivos voco Mortuos plango Fulgura frango

              I call the living, I mourn the dead, I chase the lightning.


              From the Imre Nagy Memorial, Budapest Hungary

              Comment


              • Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
                Ouch... Sunburns suck... (Yeah Filipinnos can sunburn... I didn't believe it either)
                BUT DESTIN, FL ROCKS!!!!
                My shoulders are nice and red right now...
                Change your name to BarcelonaBurn, and next time slather on sunscreen! My niece is bi-racial and she can burn too even though she's brown as a cocoa puff...
                Love. Where does it come from?
                from The Thin Red Line

                Comment


                • Originally posted by TacCovert4
                  I think the Portugese are Compensating for Something
                  Sure a small "coutry", small "cars", small "houses" when compared to our good american naibors.
                  All warfare is based on deception.
                  Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans


                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Psycho
                    you know what that means if you have a really long name right?
                    A short memory?
                    "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Slug
                      A short memory?
                      what are we talking about?
                      Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
                        My shoulders are nice and red right now...
                        Thats government property your messing with....
                        As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
                        Mario Batali, 2006

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Dolley
                          Change your name to BarcelonaBurn, and next time slather on sunscreen! My niece is bi-racial and she can burn too even though she's brown as a cocoa puff...
                          Nah, the pain is over now... most people weren't aware I was burnt until they slapped me on the back and were greeted with me on the defensive screaming ouch!

                          I did have sunscreen... I forgot you have to reapply it every so often and when you get out of the water (where I spent most the day...)

                          As for Gov't property... I rennovated... Everyone knows red goes faster!!!

                          Naw, but I did get to see a dolphin (probably more behind me) that jumped up beside me when me and my Aunt rented jet-skis... That was a rush!
                          The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

                          Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

                          Comment


                          • I hate sunburn im really white so i get it easy.

                            Comment


                            • I was in boot camp with a poor kid who's name was Schillenschallenschalwensburger, he was of Austrian heritage. We all had to stencil our names on the front of our dungaree shirts, above the pocket, well as u can guess, this poor kid's name went under his arm pit! The wanted just to call him Burger but he wouldnt go for it. Then there was my Polish friend on the ship, we called him P-12 cuz he had a p and twelve letters after. I dont know if I can even spell it still Paluszkiewicz
                              Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
                              In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
                              Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

                              Comment


                              • It's 7:10PM; Do you know where Dolley is?
                                Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

                                "I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X