Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kurds threaten to shoot Turkish Soldiers

http://famulus.msnbc.com/FamulusIntl...sp?reg=MIDEAST

MOSUL, Iraq, Oct. 8 — Iraqi Kurds who had helped U.S. forces topple Saddam Hussein are threatening to turn their guns against their old enemy Turkey if Ankara sends troops to Iraq at Washington's request.
    Turkey's efforts to suppress a Kurdish separatist movement within its own borders have inflamed the antagonism of Iraqi Kurds towards their neighbour.
    ''I don't want Turkish troops coming to Iraq,'' Kurdish taxi driver Saddam Younis, 27, said in Mosul. ''They will be attacked when they pass through the north.''
    Facing daily guerrilla attacks and mounting financial costs, Washington is trying to get more countries to commit troops and funds to help stabilise Iraq. Turkey's parliament voted on Tuesday to send soldiers to join the occupation force in Iraq.
    Turkish troops are not expected to be based in Kurdish areas. But they will probably have to enter Iraq through Kurdish territory and may need to maintain supply bases in the north.
    ''We don't want them in the north, south, middle, east or west,'' said Mahdi Herky, spokesman for the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP) in Mosul. ''We don't want them to come.''
    The KDP and the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan ran areas of northern Iraq that broke away from Saddam's rule after the 1991 Gulf War and became autonomous zones under U.S. protection.
    Both parties are on the U.S.-appointed Governing Council.
    Growing Kurdish influence in the north has angered other groups, particularly the Turkmen -- Turkish speakers who are a vestige of Ottoman rule. Clashes between Kurds and Turkmen in August killed at least 10 people, sparking outraged headlines in Turkish newspapers and ratcheting tension even higher.
    Most Turkmen have welcomed the prospect of Turkish troops.
    ''Turkey wants to help the Iraqi people preserve security and stability and rebuild Iraq,'' said Songul Chapouk, the Turkmen representative on the Governing Council. ''God willing, the Turkish troops, who are Muslim troops, will be welcomed by the Iraqi people,'' she told Reuters on Monday.
    Members of the Governing Council said on Tuesday the body had agreed to reject the presence of troops from any of Iraq's neighbours. The Council's president then said no final decision had been made, causing further confusion.
    But as the Governing Council and the U.S.-led administration try to resolve their dispute, most Kurds insist that the arrival of Turkish troops would spark ethnic bloodshed.
    ''What they're after is control in the north,'' said Jasim Mahmoud, 34-year-old Kurd working at a Mosul Internet shop. ''Kurdish parties are preparing their weapons and if the Turks come down through the north I'm sure they will be attacked.''
    What do you Americans think?

Would you want Turkey to send troops anyways? Do you think the Kurdish threat a bluff?

And perhaps more importantly: Why do hotdog buns come in 12s and wieners in 10s?
    "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

– Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

I am all for Turkish involvment. I wish we could have gotten turkish troops from the start.

THe reason the Kurds and Arabs hate the Turks is the fact they have a true secular government that doesn't allow the Islamic relgion to get involved in the politics of the country. Turkey is threating to the Islamic status qou.
    "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McBride
      THe reason the Kurds and Arabs hate the Turks is the fact they have a true secular government that doesn't allow the Islamic relgion to get involved in the politics of the country. Turkey is threating to the Islamic status qou.
      Well...it might be just a teensy, weensy bit more involved than that. There is that niggling issue of several hundred years of being an occupied country, by the Ottoman Turks...
      I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Originally posted by JAMiAM
        Well...it might be just a teensy, weensy bit more involved than that. There is that niggling issue of several hundred years of being an occupied country, by the Ottoman Turks...
        Nah...No body holds grudges over there...............

Comment

I think the Turks could care less about the Ottoman Empire. I agree. If we were to be invading Iraq, the Turks should have been heavily involved. Not even Saddam Hussein would have accused the US of trying annex Iraq to Turkey. The Kurds are not reliable allies in birthing a new Iraq.
          Get the US out of NATO, now!

Comment

Originally posted by SparceMatrix
            I think the Turks could care less about the Ottoman Empire. I agree. If we were to be invading Iraq, the Turks should have been heavily involved. Not even Saddam Hussein would have accused the US of trying annex Iraq to Turkey. The Kurds are not reliable allies in birthing a new Iraq.
            I agree, people seem to think the Turks are bunch or blood thirsty cannibals or some sort. The Turks have no desire to be the Ottoman Empire, THEY are intrested in protecting themselves and getting western aid for their economy. It is in Turkey's best intrests to have a stable Iraq. Iraq was at one time one of Turkey's largest trading partners, Anakara would like to get that cash flow back.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X