A sad day in the Great White North

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A sad day in the Great White North

Two canadian soldiers are dead and three injured when their Iltis(piece of crap) jeep runs over a landmine in Kabul.
    I salute you gentlemen.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/10/02/landmine031002
    Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Am I wrong being annoyed that the news is soooooo sad that two soldiers serving in a dangerous region were killed in an occupation that generally speaking is about being in harms way?

I can say that my condolences go to the two families who lost someone dear to them.

But I can't stop wondering if society has just gone to far in their need to report every damned casualty as a major news event.

Afganistan, 2 canadian peace keepers were killed. It isn't a news item.

The Dieppe landings was a news item.

I think the media needs to stop making every last event seem ultimately special.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by LestheSarge9-1

You are absolutely right. The same day these 2 soldiers died, there was probably many more Canadians who died in a car crash near their homes.

But since we are not used to see our soldiers die (!), I guess it is to be expected to have these news make the headlines.

Comment

--
        The difference between the soldiers in Afghanistan and people who die in car crashes is that these men volunteered to serve their country and do what's necessary, in this case, die so we can enjoy driving freely on our roads.

They deserve all the glory and honour they will receive.
        Condolences to their families.

I don't know the technicalities behind the jeeps used but would a heavier Humvey made a difference?

If so, then there should be some finger pointing towards the politicians who control the defence budget. A G-7 country like ours has no excuse not to give it's troops the best equipment possible.
        "Thus, a prince should have no other object, nor any other thought, nor take anything else as his art but that of war and its orders and discipline; for that is the only art which is of concern to one who commands."

Comment

Originally posted by LestheSarge9-1
          Am I wrong being annoyed that the news is soooooo sad that two soldiers serving in a dangerous region were killed in an occupation that generally speaking is about being in harms way?

I can say that my condolences go to the two families who lost someone dear to them.

But I can't stop wondering if society has just gone to far in their need to report every damned casualty as a major news event.

I think the media needs to stop making every last event seem ultimately special.

In WW II, when a soldier was killed in combat, his name was published in the local paper.

What's the difference now ?

The information revolution has increased the power and scope of the media. Get with the times !

I gotta admit, when I first read your post, it really p*ssed me off.
          In a way, the attitude you display is a reflection of the recognition that Canada's military receives from the people (and the governement).

The one thing I envy about the US is that they display a great pride, and perhaps even a reverence, for their fallen soldiers.

It's a pity and a shame that ours have come to be recognized as simply a "news item".
          Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Originally posted by Boromir
            --
            The difference between the soldiers in Afghanistan and people who die in car crashes is that these men volunteered to serve their country and do what's necessary, in this case, die so we can enjoy driving freely on our roads.

Whether somebody die in a car crash or in mission is more or less irrelevant for the family and relatives. A cherished one has died and it's always painful for the family, whatever the circumstances of the death. Some might say though that dying in a car crash is so unexpected and stupid that it might be a bigger shock for the family but at least the family wasn't living under constant stress before like the relatives of soldiers in mission do.

That being said, I agree with you that they deserve glory and honour since they were serving their country and this is what caused their death.

Comment

There is still a fundamental difference in that they gave up their roles as citizens knowing full well the dangers they were entering. They voluntarily entered the battle and they (the families will grieve to the highest degree no matter how they died), deserve the highest amount of honour we can give them.

This is about the soldiers who fell not their families.

May they rest in peace.
              "Thus, a prince should have no other object, nor any other thought, nor take anything else as his art but that of war and its orders and discipline; for that is the only art which is of concern to one who commands."

Comment

Originally posted by Boromir
                --

I don't know the technicalities behind the jeeps used but would a heavier Humvey made a difference?

If so, then there should be some finger pointing towards the politicians who control the defence budget. A G-7 country like ours has no excuse not to give it's troops the best equipment possible.
                Why are 'flying' a Yank flag, Boromir?
                "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Mantis
                  Why are 'flying' a Yank flag, Boromir?
                  It's a political identity thing, I think.
                  "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

– Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

Comment

--
                    What difference does it make? And MikeJ I'm wondering if it's possible that you not comment on what I"m doing until I respond.

He asked me not your opinion of why the flag is American.

I'm wondering if you could possibly post anything that isn't patronizing. And what 'political identity' would you be thinking of? Please tell me 'cause now I'm directly asking you?

Comment

It makes no difference; I'm just curious if it was a conscious choice, or if the US flag was the default for the forum, and you might just never have bothered to mess with the settings.
                      "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

--
                        Irregardless. I come on this thread and give my praise and condolences and he comes here and gives me that garbage post.

As a matter of fact I never bothered because it doesn't make much difference to me. I'm hardly ever on here.

But I still would like to know what he means by 'political identity'? 'Cause I don't even know but rest assured there is a way to find out; all I have to do is 'Ask Mike'.

Comment

And MikeJ I'm wondering if it's possible that you not comment on what I"m doing until I respond.
                          Not really... at least not when you're posting on a public forum. Though if I'd known you were going to be so grumpy I'd have not said anything.

I'm wondering if you could possibly post anything that isn't patronizing. And what 'political identity' would you be thinking of? Please tell me 'cause now I'm directly asking you?
                          and he comes here and gives me that garbage post
                          Patronizing? Well, why should I tell you what I meant? You obviously made up your mind already that it's some evil, patronizing post despite the fact that you just admit you don't really have a clue what I meant.

But just to clear it up:

Do you identify more with Jean Chretien or George W. Bush?

Does that answer your question?
                          "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

– Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeJ
                            Do you identify more with Jean Chretien or George W. Bush?
                            My God, is THAT a loaded question... (Glad you didn't ask me that; I'd have to move to Iceland!)

Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Mantis
                              My God, is THAT a loaded question... (Glad you didn't ask me that; I'd have to move to Iceland!)
                              LOL

Same for me here. I'd rather identify with Chirac than Mr. Bush or Chretien... Although now Mr. Chretien has become irrelevant...we have a shadow Prime Minister in waiting

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Today, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Today, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Today, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X