Rush puts foot in mouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rush puts foot in mouth

Rush Limbaugh is in trouble again after giving his opinion that a NFL quaterback (Donovan McNabb) has been overrated because he is black. That would be OK if the facts backed him up but they do not.

In 2000 McNabb passed for 3365 yards/21 touchdowns and ran for 629 yards/6 touchdowns. In 2001 he passed for 3233 yards/25 touchdowns and ran for 487 yards/2 touchdowns. In 2002 he was injured after 10 games but if his numbers are multiplied over 16 games he passed for 3662 yards/27 touchdowns and ran for 742 yards/10 touchdowns.

Clearly these number indicate that McNabb is one of the top quarterbacks in the league, who can beat teams with both his arm and legs. Yet Rush would have us believe that he is overrated because he is black. Rush believes that McNabb, who has only 566 yards passing, 3 interceptions, and no touchdowns this year, isn't having an off year so far. No, he is having a typical year and was was just overrated in the past because he was black.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._quarterback_4
    Last edited by Chuck?; 10 Oct 03, 15:28.
    "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

I am not surprised tha tRush would put his foot in his mouth; I thought that was a daily occurance?
    "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

More illogical reasoning from Rush:

"All this has become the tempest that it is because I must have been right about something," Limbaugh said. "If I wasn't right there wouldn't be this cacophony of outrage that has sprung up in the sports writer community."
      So if Rush said that he wished Hitler won WW2, the outrage would indicate he said something right???

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Hey Chuck,

I object to naming Donovon McNabb the best quarterback in NFL! My beloved Packers QB Favre is the BEST and GREATEST in the history of NFL. You just wait and see, Favre will outshine McNabb in every statistical category.

Favre played beautifully on the opening night of Chicago's refurnished Soldiers Field. Packers just killed Bears, 38 to 26. Favre passed for two touchdowns with Ahman Green rushing for 176 yards with two touchdowns! Come on, McNabb didn't do that!

Don't you ever dare call anybody else than Favre the best QB currently playing in NFL! I mean it! Or beware.....

Dan
        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772
          Don't you ever dare call anybody else than Favre the best QB currently playing in NFL! I mean it! Or beware.....

Dan
          Oh heck, Rich Gannon is better then Favre on soooo many levels it isn't even funny....

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McBride
            Oh heck, Rich Gannon is better then Favre on soooo many levels it isn't even funny....
            Nah, Favre is still the best quarterback. Gannon is well just another name for garbage.

Seriously, I am a Packers fan, and I have two fantasy football teams, do you play fantasy football?

One of my fantasy teams has three quarterbacks, all of them real good, Matt Hasselbeck, Jake Plummer, and Brett Favre. Pretty soon, the other teams in my league are going to want to trade for one of my backup QBs. It's gonna be a field day for me!

I also have Priest Holmes AND Ahman Green! They're gonna kill my opponents alone. RecentlyRecently, I just won four games straight. The last game was real close, my opponent had a 20 point lead over me. After Packers-Chicago game last Monday, I beat him by 25 points. Ahman Green got a little more than 18 points, with Longwell 8 points.

But my other team in the other league just plain sucks. My wide receivers are doing horrible. In that team, I'm 1-3-0, what a pitiful sight to see. I hope never to experience that fantasy football hell again in my life.

I'm just curious, do you watch football or what?

Dan
            Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772
              Nah, Favre is still the best quarterback. Gannon is well just another name for garbage.
              Who went to the Superbowl last year???

I'm just curious, do you watch football or what?
              As much as I can. I have high hopes for the Raiders next weekend after watching the Bears get beat by a team that was beat by the Cardinals...

Comment

So what I'm hearing here is that if McNabb really sucked this year, then there wouldn't be any furor over Rush's comments? BS. Even if there were rock solid data to back up every word that Rush said (and I have no idea if there is or not), it wouldn't make the slightest difference.

Any time a conservative mentions race in any way, shape, or form he is immediately condemned as a racist and bigot. Even if the comment is positive it will be intrepreted as an indirect slur against someone else. Conservatives are not permitted to mention race in America, at all. On the other hand, liberals rarely talk about anything but race and there isn't the slightest hint of an outcry no matter what is said.
                Editor-in-Chief
                GameSquad.com

Comment

Originally posted by Don Maddox
                  Even if there were rock solid data to back up every word that Rush said (and I have no idea if there is or not), it wouldn't make the slightest difference.
                  No, McNabb isn't overrated and Rush's comments were out of line. He tried to invent a 'media' conspiracy that just wasn't there. Why he decided to pick on a class act like McNabb is beyond me.

Yes, you are somewhat correct that a double standard is applied when talking about race. Whites are more likely to get in trouble for doing this without a doubt. However history plays a role in this as it was the black race that was treated like dogs and the culture is still very sensitive here.
                  Last edited by Chuck?; 07 Oct 03, 17:57.

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Originally posted by Don Maddox
                    So what I'm hearing here is that if McNabb really sucked this year, then there wouldn't be any furor over Rush's comments? BS. Even if there were rock solid data to back up every word that Rush said (and I have no idea if there is or not), it wouldn't make the slightest difference.

Any time a conservative mentions race in any way, shape, or form he is immediately condemned as a racist and bigot. Even if the comment is positive it will be intrepreted as an indirect slur against someone else. Conservatives are not permitted to mention race in America, at all. On the other hand, liberals rarely talk about anything but race and there isn't the slightest hint of an outcry no matter what is said.
                    Rush Limbaugh did all of this intentionally, everybody knows it's good for the ratings. But it's despicable. What has race got to do with this? If you want to criticize a football player, do it squarely on the basis of his skills and abilities in the field. Just say in a straight fashion this guy doesn't have the skills and abilities to play in the NFL, period. The race has nothing to with this.

In this specific case, I am not knowledgeable enough in football to evaluate if this Donovan McNabb is really a good or bad player. But I know one thing: if he really sucks, he's not gonna last long anyway, and whether is black or not won't change anything. NFL today is more than a sport, it's a serious business. To pretend like Limbaugh says that he was chosen because he was black is ludicrous from a business perspective. The Eagles simply have some confidence he can play well, and that's why they are taking their chances on him, like a lot of teams are also taking chances with some dubious white guys. Of course, the Eagles might be proven wrong, or they may be proven right. But bringing race into all this is irrelevant.
                    Last edited by Tzar; 08 Oct 03, 19:26.

Comment

Who went to the Superbowl last year???

As much as I can. I have high hopes for the Raiders next weekend after watching the Bears get beat by a team that was beat by the Cardinals...
                      Bwaahhhaaahhhhaaa
                      And we are here as on a darkling plain
                      Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
                      Where ignorant armies clash by night.

Matthew Arnold

Comment

Originally posted by Brevet
                        Bwaahhhaaahhhhaaa
                        Yes embrassing to say to the least......... Hopes have been re-evaluated, thiking .500 is a good goal for the year....

Comment

Yes embrassing to say to the least......... Hopes have been re-evaluated, thiking .500 is a good goal for the year....
                          I doubt many teams will be able to say, "We lost to the Bears" this season.
                          And we are here as on a darkling plain
                          Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
                          Where ignorant armies clash by night.

Matthew Arnold

Comment

Are you cheating about this kid game called american football ???

The only football that you have right to be speak on is the one played worlwide, stupidly called soccer in US

For the best player ever, I think it was PELE the bresilian one, then I think of Zinedine Zidane.

But you undercultured people you can't be aware of what make ROW vibrating so High

Psssss american football a small provincial with no interest game

I wait for your bullets undercultured North American.

I hope that Don who stay within the cultured World in Germany, yes hope that he can see on TV a real Gentlemen Sport, the REAL and UNIQUE FOOTBALL

(I return to my trench I think shells will be poured on me soon)

Der WanderEntrenched
                            The Best weapon ever:a good Joke. The Best shield ever: Humour
                            JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003
                            The Birth of European Army Tournament round Three is opened

Comment

Originally posted by jlbetin
                              Are you cheating about this kid game called american football ???

The only football that you have right to be speak on is the one played worlwide, stupidly called soccer in US

For the best player ever, I think it was PELE the bresilian one, then I think of Zinedine Zidane.

But you undercultured people you can't be aware of what make ROW vibrating so High

Psssss american football a small provincial with no interest game

I wait for your bullets undercultured North American.

I hope that Don who stay within the cultured World in Germany, yes hope that he can see on TV a real Gentlemen Sport, the REAL and UNIQUE FOOTBALL

(I return to my trench I think shells will be poured on me soon)

Der WanderEntrenched
                              Sorry but football/soccer is for les tapettes. It is not a sport for the Gentlemen.

LaPalice.
                              Monsieur de La Palice est mort
                              Mort devant Pavie.
                              Un quart d'heure avant sa mort
                              Il était encore en vie...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X