The Loss of the Roma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Loss of the Roma

As the last hours of September 2003 tick away just thought I'd post an article on one of WWII's forgotten naval battles 60 years ago this month.

A terrible human tragedy that also heralded a new age in naval warfare...guided missiles.

Article at:

http://www.regiamarina.net/others/roma/roma_us.htm
    http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

If I understand well the text, the ship was sunk in less than 30 minutes. That is quick, no ?

LaPalice.
    Monsieur de La Palice est mort
    Mort devant Pavie.
    Un quart d'heure avant sa mort
    Il était encore en vie...

Comment

300 kg warhead is a pretty big warhead setting. The modern Russian SS-N-22 sunburn antiship missile is equipped with a warhead of this size, it is said to be able to destroy any US major naval combatants in one shot, except the CVNs. (for which the Russian navy deployed 200 kiloton tactical nuke warheads for "sunburn".) And the ship was hit twice, both at pretty critical points, it would sink fast...
      Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

Originally posted by ER_Chaser
        300 kg warhead is a pretty big warhead setting. The modern Russian SS-N-22 sunburn antiship missile is equipped with a warhead of this size, it is said to be able to destroy any US major naval combatants in one shot, except the CVNs. (for which the Russian navy deployed 200 kiloton tactical nuke warheads for "sunburn".) And the ship was hit twice, both at pretty critical points, it would sink fast...
        The Germans used GMs at Anzio as well sinking HMS Spartan and HMS Janus along with a couple of other ships IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by LaPalice
          If I understand well the text, the ship was sunk in less than 30 minutes. That is quick, no ?

LaPalice.
          Its quick but in WWII ships were sunk quicker than that like the
          USS Indianapolis for instance.

The USS Indianapolis (CA-35) was commissioned at the Philadelphia Navy Yard on 15 November 1932. The ship served with honor from Pearl Harbor through the last campaign of World War II, sinking in action two weeks before the end of the war. On 30 July 1945, while sailing from Guam to Leyte, Indianapolis was torpedoed by Japanese submarine I-58. The ship capsized and sank in twelve minutes. Survivors were spotted by a patrol aircraft on 2 August. All air and surface units capable of rescue operations were dispatched to the scene at once, and the surrounding waters were thoroughly searched for survivors. Upon completion of the day and night search on 8 August, 316 men were rescued out of the crew of 1,199.

If you have seen 'Jaws' that was the ship the old captain had served on and why he hated Sharks!

Comment

oh ye... I remember that ... pretty tough old captain there

so tit for tat, the Japs had better torpedoes and the Americans just happened to have delivered the A-bombs!
            Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X