Thank You FCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank You FCC

The FCC said today that it would enforce the do not call list that courts in Oklahoma and Colorado prevented the FTC from implementing. This is good news for all Americans who are tired of having thier dinners interupted by someone trying to sell them yet another get rich quick scheme. The association that represents the telemarketing industry said that it would honor the list....for now. It is time that the courts understood that most Americans are tired of people who invtie themselves into our homes trying to sell us crap. Three cheers to the FCC for protecting our privacy.

Wish they'd institute something like that in Canada.

The worst is when I pickup the phone and you just get deafening silence. 9 times out of 10 it's an automated telemarketing system designed to check when people are home.

Not much I can do about that short of not answering the phone, but I still get that crappy feeling of impending aggravation whenever it happens .
    "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

– Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

Comment

Hello,

Thank God I am deaf! So the telephones don't bother me, because I don't use them. I can call anybody through using internet as a sort of relay service. That way, it's virtually impossible for a telemarketing company to find out whether I have a phone or not.

Let me be honest, I almost laughed off this issue, but then I try to restrain myself as this is really an irritating issue for most of hearing people I know and work with.

Dan
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by MikeJ
        Wish they'd institute something like that in Canada.

The worst is when I pickup the phone and you just get deafening silence. 9 times out of 10 it's an automated telemarketing system designed to check when people are home.

Not much I can do about that short of not answering the phone, but I still get that crappy feeling of impending aggravation whenever it happens .
        The answer to your problem is the magic of "caller ID".
        If somebody is too scared to let me know who is calling, then I'm too scared to answer the phone. (Also helps with regard to ex-wives)
        Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Originally posted by tigersqn
          The answer to your problem is the magic of "caller ID".
          If somebody is too scared to let me know who is calling, then I'm too scared to answer the phone. (Also helps with regard to ex-wives)
          Ex-wives? What? Did you or your ex-wives divorce each other because you disagreed on which Canadian hockey team to root for?

Dan
          Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

I am a bit confused; has the law actually been signed by Bush? And if a court rules against it, what is the FCC doing saying it will go ahead anyways?

WTF!?!?!?
            "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

There is only 1 possible team to root for. The winningest franchise in pro sports history.
              Attached Files
              Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McBride
                I am a bit confused; has the law actually been signed by Bush? And if a court rules against it, what is the FCC doing saying it will go ahead anyways?

WTF!?!?!?
                Right now, the Congress is rushing ahead with a bill legislating the can't-do list, because many people fear the courts will rule it void, for what, I forget. The parties are dueling it out in the courts, and now, the telemarketing companies are losing this court battle.

Historically, there has been some occasions that the courts' rulings were ignored at will. For example, the War Powers Act and Federal Reserve Act have been ruled unconstitutional in the past, however, Congress passed bills that became laws supersending the courts' rulings.

This could be one of such occasion. Though I might be getting the info wrong.

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by tigersqn
                  There is only 1 possible team to root for. The winningest franchise in pro sports history.
                  Okay, I get it, Mr. Canadian Hockey Fanatic.

Tell me, who is the bin Laden of Hockey sports?

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772
                    Okay, I get it, Mr. Canadian Hockey Fanatic.

Tell me, who is the bin Laden of Hockey sports?

Dan
                    Alan Eagleson ?

or Bruce McNall......or Harold Ballard.......or........

Comment

WTF!?!?!?
                      I know Tim this is starting to seam like a bad soap opera, let me try to sort it out for you. About a year ago the FTC started a no-call list aimed at giving people peace from intrusion of thier privacy by telemarketers. A couple weeks ago a Federal Judge in Western Oklahoma ruled the the FTC had no authority to create the list. What Bush signed today was a bill giving the FTC the authority. Meanwhile in Colorado another lawsuit was filed, something about infringing on the freedom of speech of the telemarketers. There is also the issue about the no call list targets just business telemarketing but misses charity telemarketing. The FCC has stepped in to enforce the no call list because the courts have temporarily blocked the FTC from doing so.
                      Last edited by Priest; 29 Sep 03, 19:21.

Comment

I hate telemarketers as much as the next 50 million people (on the list), but I think the Denver court has a point. Why should somebody pitching a vacation be barred from calling me, but not somebody pitching a charity, a stock or a political party? Hopefully, this decision will make everything fall under the do-not-call umbrella.

Comment

WTF!?!?!?
                          I am glad others have noticed this as well. I hate telemarketers as much as the next person, but the courts have made a decision. The Legislature and Executive Branchs both supported superceding the Judicial Branchs. I still have some problems with this.

I've got a bad feeling this decision might lead to other, more serious challenges to our Judicial system.
                          "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

No call list starts today....hopefully.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X