Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Nations Perish

by Patrick J Buchanan

Gray Davis is a desperate man. Facing recall, he has just put the safety of California motorists at risk in a naked bid to buy Hispanic votes. Davis signed into law a bill he had twice rejected, to allow illegal aliens to get driver's licenses.

One million illegals, many of them young, single males, will soon be on the roads of California. Inevitably, the toll of traffic dead will soar and California families will pay in the lives of loved ones so Davis can collect enough Hispanic votes to serve out his term.

The day Davis signed the bill, eight Democratic presidential candidates promised blanket amnesty to an estimated 10 million illegal aliens. Sen. John Kerry says he wants instant U.S. citizenship for illegals who have been here five years.

Politicians used to buy our votes with our tax dollars. Kerry & Co. are now trolling U.S. citizenship before an entire class of lawbreakers, to purchase wholesale the votes of the ethnic groups to which they belong. The Democratic answer to the invasion of America is: surrender. We are inviting what Arthur Schlesinger calls, "The Disuniting of America."

U.S. citizenship used to mean something. Now, all you need do is sneak in and lie about it, and in five years if the Democratic Party prevails you, too, can be an American citizen.

This is how countries cease to be how they become little more than a geographical place where one happens to live or work.

What would be the effect of an amnesty for all illegal aliens?

It would send a message to all the good people in foreign lands who filled out all the forms and waited patiently for years to come to America to become citizens. That message: You were fools to obey the law. The lawbreakers who crashed the gates were the clever ones. For you are still there, and they are on a fast track to citizenship.

After amnesty, anyone who wants to live here would be stupid not to sneak in. If breaking into the United States is rewarded with permanent residency and citizenship and access to all the social welfare benefits of the richest nation on earth the 5 billion people now living in the Third World will say to one another: "What are we waiting for? Let's go!"

Illegals who become citizens can bring in wives and children. Amnesty will thus mean that legal as well as illegal immigration will soar. As new immigrants are mostly poor, the tax costs of Medicaid, welfare, schools, food stamps, earned income tax credits will soar. If you think California and the U.S. government have big deficits today, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Some businesses will benefit from the endless supply of low-wage labor. But U.S. workers 3 million of whom have lost jobs in the private sector since Bush took office will have to compete with millions of immigrants for the jobs that remain.

For high-school dropouts black, white, Asian, Hispanic who are citizens, amnesty means their road to the American dream will be as clogged and congested as a California highway at rush hour.

There are 33 million foreign born now in the United States. Half the people in L.A. County do not speak English at home. With the birth rate among native-born Americans below replacement level, our population growth is almost entirely among immigrants and foreign-born. Almost 90 percent of these are from Latin America, Asia, Africa and the Islamic world.

Not only have these folks never been fully assimilated in any First World country, they are coming to an America where the idea of assimilation is being rejected in favor of identity politics and ethnic entitlements. Naked appeals are now made to people based on race, ethnicity and national origin. Few object.

Indeed, Gray Davis and the "Amnesty Eight" Democrats are a perfect example. Americans know this. A majority wants immigration halted. A huge majority wants illegals sent back. In California, 60 percent voted to deny taxpayer-funded social-welfare benefits to illegals. Yet the pandering goes on. Indeed, President Bush may have incited it with his earlier talk of amnesty for Mexican illegals to President Fox.

But if Bush yields now to the temptation to ape the Democrats and pander to win the Hispanic vote, the price will be the alienation and demoralization of his political base.

What amnesty is ultimately about is whether America is still a country, whether we Americans are any longer a unique people. Or is America nothing more than the biggest 24-hour-a-day mall in the Global Economy, where anybody walks in and nobody cares?
    "Speaking here in my capacity as a polished, sophisticated European as well, it seems to me the laugh here is on the polished, sophisticated Europeans. They think Americans are fat, vulgar, greedy, stupid, ambitious and ignorant and so on. And they've taken as their own Michael Moore, as their representative American, someone who actually embodies all of those qualities." - Christopher Hitchens

Good article on the state of our union. Greed and personal ambition has become the norm with our leaders, the sad part is that we have not only come to accept it, we actually expect it.
    Take away Pearl Harbor and Marko would be writing in German Today.

Comment

And what does recall candidate Ah-nold have to say about it? Anything?
      Get the US out of NATO, now!

Comment

Originally posted by SparceMatrix
        And what does recall candidate Ah-nold have to say about it? Anything?
        Thankfully, Arnold opposes it. But if the latest polls indicate anything, but dwindling support for the recall, then Arnold is in big trouble. No recall means no chance for our Terminator.

Dan
        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

kid kool,

Thank you for the article, it comforts me a little when I know there is somebody who is willing to stand up for his or her beliefs, however "un"-liberal it is.

I desire more men like Pat Buchanan, he's one true American!

My father was born in Hungary, but fleed to America. He has accepted the rules laid down by the founding fathers of this great nation, and stopped speaking Hungarian language, took up the English, and ever since he's been fluent in it. This is how a legal immigrant is supposed to behave.

Mexico chauvinism has to stop right now, otherwise it will overrun California.

Dan
          Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Amazingly we have the same problem here in Ireland too with illegal immigrants coming in all the time. Like the Irish were known for immigrating in their millions, now its the other way round!
            Yes and I know many young Irish people went to the US in the 80's early 90's illegally. I'm not saying that was right but at least nobody cried 'RACIST' if caught and sent home.

My list of favorite immigrants goes like this:

Indians ( small in number but great workers, incl. my friend Krishna!)

Chinese ( large numbers, good workers)

East Europeans ( large numbers, mixed in quality, Balts the best)

West Africans ( large numbers, but don't work, seem to have money though)

Rumanian Gypsies....these are a joke ( at our expense!)

+ Brazil, South africa, the philipenes etc etc...
            http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772
              No recall means no chance for our Terminator.
              Please don't let arnold win. I can't believe the guy is running on the Republican ticket. He's more left leaning then the Democrats in my state!
              "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McBride
                Please don't let arnold win. I can't believe the guy is running on the Republican ticket. He's more left leaning then the Democrats in my state!
                Sorry for my stupid grammar mistake.

Let me explain a bit more clearly. First of all, I don't support Arnold, however, if he wins the recall contest, and does a good job in office, hopefully this will help Bush to gain 54 electoral votes for the upcoming presidential 2004 election.

However, I am very well aware of one big downside, if Arnold doesn't do a good job, then Bush may ultimately lose the badly needed 54 electoral votes. Besides, California is already so far to left that it's more in haramony with the Leftist Europe than with the rest of USA.

Gary Davis is even worse than Arnold as he promised he would sign the bill supporting the illegal immigrants and getting a lot of Hispanic votes. Arnold opposes this. The last thing we need is a Democrat governor who is willing to destroy the meaningfulness of American Citizenship. With Arnold in office, there is a slim chance of slowing the flow of immigrants down, however slim it is.

I am a realist, acknowledging Pat Buchanan will never win the election, so I'm rooting for Bush.

In any case, either with Arnold or Gary Davis, the state of California is already long lost to the rest of USA. It is more of an extra-Mexican province.

So, the liberal leftists got what they wanted -- a tool to destroy the foundation of America through reducing the meaningfulness of American citizenship. How sad.

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Not only have these folks never been fully assimilated in any First World country, they are coming to an America where the idea of assimilation is being rejected in favor of identity politics and ethnic entitlements. Naked appeals are now made to people based on race, ethnicity and national origin. Few object.
                  It is my observation that first generation immigrants are reluctant to be 'assimilated' but their children and certainly their grandchildren want very little to do with the 'old country'.

Since when have American politics and politicians not appealed to people based on race, ethnicity, and national origin?

I think it is a mistake to issue drivers licenses or any other any other official/legal form of ID to illegal immigrants. I think plenty are of illegals already driving and Pat's road safety argument is more than a bit weak.

Our immigration laws are liberal and fair. The lack of enforcement creates the sense of unfairness. Of course we cannot afford to enforce our laws here at home while we are busy enforcing our law in Iraq. And we cannot be serious about enforcing laws that would hurt the bottom line of those businesses and individuals that profit from the pool of illegal labor in this country. That might be restrictive to a free market.
                  And we are here as on a darkling plain
                  Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
                  Where ignorant armies clash by night.

Matthew Arnold

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X