Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Security Questions

Gentlemen,

I am having an alarming number of alerts that my internet security is stopping.

" A Remote System is Attempting to access your computer

High Risk

Protocol UDP Inbound

Remote Address:.....
    Local Address .... at end of local address this appears:doom (666)"

Anyone know what the hell is trying to access my computer?

Any Ideas or help is appreciated,

Paul

It MIGHT be a trojan. I know there's one called doom. UDP means User Datagram Protocol. It allows messages from one computer to another that use the same application. Your firewall is denying access.

You might need a trojan remover like Pest Patrol. They also offer a tool for checking your ports. Firewalls are best defense though.

http://www.pestpatrol.com/Support/Ab...nd_Trojans.asp
    Last edited by Deltapooh; 07 Sep 03, 02:50.
    "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

It's probably just a port scan, if it's an ingoing connection and it was detected by your firewall it was blocked and you shouldn't worry 'bout it. These things happe pretty often, script kiddies are just randomly scanny IP-adresses to find computers with a weak protection and as yours is protected by a firewall they'll probably just ignore you, looking for an easier target. In this case it doesen't matter on which port the connection attempt occured, some check all ports, some just the ports common trojans use.
      "The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose."

Henry Alfred Kissinger

Comment

It also could be some of these ad agencies trying to load pop-ups on to your computer. If you get an alert about a Backdoor/Subseven, I think that that could be a tracking cookie, find it and delete the cookie.

Comment

Thank You

Thanks for the responses guys, I feel safe with my firewall but it gets you wondering with as many alerts as I have gotten lately.

Paul

Comment

You might want to get a program called ad-ware. It's free and safely removes most common spyware safely, including those in your registery.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
            "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Deltapooh
              You might want to get a program called ad-ware. It's free and safely removes most common spyware safely, including those in your registery.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
              Agreed, ad-aware is considered one of the best spyware removal programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
                Agreed, ad-aware is considered one of the best spyware removal programs.
                I work for a large ISP, and Ad-Aware is what we recomend.........
                "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McBride
                  I work for a large ISP, and Ad-Aware is what we recomend.........
                  I have Ad-Aware, though I am playing with Spybot at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
                    I have Ad-Aware, though I am playing with Spybot at the moment.
                    I used to use Ad-Aware, but switched to Spybot - Search and Destroy, when Lavasoft went through a very long period with no updates, and little support.
                    I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Originally posted by Redstorm
                      Thanks for the responses guys, I feel safe with my firewall but it gets you wondering with as many alerts as I have gotten lately.

Paul
                      I am using Norton's firewall and it works great, the only problem is, is that the firewall doesn't prevent the cookie from being placed on your computer. A lot of alerts (backdoor/subseven) come from this cookie when it tries to phone home. Maybe Norton should add a cookie crusher to it's firewall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X