Mars Nears Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mars Nears Earth

Mars will make its closest approach to earth in the last 59,000 years in a few hours. At 5:51 AM EST the two planets will be 34,646,418 million miles apart. That sounds like a long way but it's relatively close. This event must have some cosmic significance but I couldn't tell you what it is.
    "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Make sure that you have a good telescope Chuck, all you will be able to see with the naked eye will be a little red dot. No Cosmic significance just an oddity of Celestial Mechanics that occurs from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
      Make sure that you have a good telescope Chuck, all you will be able to see with the naked eye will be a little red dot. No Cosmic significance just an oddity of Celestial Mechanics that occurs from time to time.
      It looked fairly bright a few nights ago. I think a good pair of binoculars is all that is needed for viewing Mars.
      "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck
        It looked fairly bright a few nights ago. I think a good pair of binoculars is all that is needed for viewing Mars.
        Yeah...he was bright, and wandering lost in the Southeastern skies. Even my 11 year old daughter, who notices little other than what's on the television spotted him. Seems that in spite of his best efforts, Venus continues to elude him, a testament to the power of Love over War...
        I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

So Chuck, how did the Mars watch go ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
            Prawn heads
            by Karri
            How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
            Today, 11:40
          • Jose50
            Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
            by Jose50
            Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
            Today, 08:41
          • Von Richter
            Sagittarius Rising...
            by Von Richter
            Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
            Today, 01:19
          Working...
          X