Dark Blue (and Iraq)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Blue (and Iraq)

How many people know Dark Blue, the movie (with Kurt Russel) ? I just watched it yesterday evening. It’s a good film, about the LAPD just before the riots in 1992.
    When I think about it I have the impression that there could be an analogy between a part of the story and what it now happens in the Middle East (not Israel/Palestine, but Iraq).
    In the movie two officers have two suspects on a bloody murder affair, and are ready to catch them. But another guy says them that they must find two others suspects, and forget the firsts. So, our two officers seek two guys who may shoulder the crimes, two very bad guys (two really dirty rapists). They are innocents here, but they are really really bad, nobody would care if they were killed. So the two officers find and eliminate them, saying that they are the murderers (if they were alive, it would be easy to prove that they are not guilty in this affair).
    Saudi Arabia is very suspected to have links with Al Qaeda. The country is its birthplace, and many people say that the king and his family don’t make a lot of things to eradicate the extremism in the country. In the war on terror this country should be second on the list after Afghanistan. But the USA doesn’t try many things against it. I remember a documentary on television (an American documentary, not an European one) showing the link between some very important American people and the Saudis. So if the Americans are very reluctant to do something against the Saudis, at the same time they must do something to control better the Middle East, to control Saudi Arabia without invading it (friends, Mecca…) or even having troops in it.
    But hey, dude, we must be in the region, in forces. So please, find someone else, someone who is really dirty, a butcher, a guy that if he is not guilty in our current affair could be presented as the ideal suspect. I’m sure you have that on your list. And then brandishes a bottle at the UN Security Council. In the movie the cops put a gun beside one of the two dirty but innocent guys and kill him.
    So instead of attacking Saudi Arabia the Americans invaded Iraq.

La Palice.
    Monsieur de La Palice est mort
    Mort devant Pavie.
    Un quart d'heure avant sa mort
    Il était encore en vie...

The US should not wage war to avenge 9/11. I personally never supported military action under such terms. As cold and detached as it might sound, *hit happens. I supported action in Afghanistan because it would likely force Al-Qaeda and it's direct supporters to up-root their well-established organization in the country, and move it elsewhere. Without Afghanistan, Al-Qaeda's well-organized terrorist group runs into a number of problems. It has to make new alliances, even with old friends, spend more money for protection, training, and re-establishing it's network.

Iraq was different. In a way, I did support war with Iraq to hurt Saudi Arabia. The regime in SA is corrupt, and was likely playing both fields to some degree. In the early 1990's, it became apparent to King Fadh, that American support alone would probably not be enough to hault fanatical Islam. So they tried to make it partners, while maintaining a "working relationship" with the US. If Saudi Arabia did help Al-Qaeda, it was because they reasoned not doing so would result in increased Al-Qaeda efforts at home.

The American dependence on Saudi Arabia is what allowed King Fadh to act a damn fool, and we take it up the *ss. The invasion of Iraq hurt SA. The US is dramatically reducing the number of troops it has located in that country. Once Iraqi oil is online, we'll also be less dependent on Saudi Arabia on that front. I believe King Fadh is being forced to combat terrorism because much of their agenda surrounded Saudi Arabia in the first place. Bin Laden didn't start out attacking the US. His first operations were against the Saudi government. After the US invaded Iraq, and abandoned Afghanistan, he turned his anger on us.

If we have to go back into Saudi Arabia, I doubt it will be as humiliating as it was in 1990. King Fadh went to great extents to make sure everyone understood he was doing the world, particularly the US a favor. Next time around, if there is a next time, he will have little choice, but to admit it's to save his sorry *ss. And the only reason I'll even think about doing so is if it's clear fundamentalists are seizing control. AND THAT WILL BE A STRETCH.

So in part, you are correct, the US goes into Iraq because it can't take down Saudi Arabia. However, in doing so, if we play our cards right, we will have positively influenced our political position, with minimum cost, which is the goal of politicians. If we screw it up, which is very likely, the US will certainly be more vulnerable and less capable of influencing the political landscape of the Middle East.

Not: If I sound confused or don't make sense, please ignore the post. I'm sleepy, but couldn't past up this thread.
    "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

No problemo, sir, your post is very clear. There could be problems with my text maybe ? My English is not as rich as my tailor.

What I wanted to say is that the US knew that they needed to have a presence in the Middle East, a strong presence with a complete control on a part of this zone. That should have been Saudi Arabia (biggest oilfields, links with Al Qaeda…). But for several reasons the real suspects couldn’t be attacked (friends, Mecca…) so it was necessary to find another suspect, and Saddam was perfect here. After all he was a butcher, and if he wasn’t guilty concerning Al Qaeda (or WMDs), “removing” him would be a good action.

La Palice.
      Monsieur de La Palice est mort
      Mort devant Pavie.
      Un quart d'heure avant sa mort
      Il était encore en vie...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X