Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dell is Dead

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Dell is Dead

    Soooo, I bought a Dell Inspiron 15 months ago today. The motherboard is dead. After spending 4 hours on the phone with Dell's Customer Support today, they have made it clear that they would have repaired it for free had I bought it directly from them. However, they don't back anything they sell at Best Buy for more than a year.

    I need to buy a new laptop. I'll die a slow death before I give Dell a dime. It needs to be able to access the military websites and record/edit videos. Everything else I do is pretty standard, maybe some video streaming for movies. I'm on a budget money-wise, but want to buy a laptop that will last me longer than 15 months. Any and all suggestions are welcome: I'll take a favorite company or a favorite laptop model.
    25
    HP
    24.00%
    6
    Sony
    0.00%
    0
    Lenovo
    4.00%
    1
    Asus
    20.00%
    5
    Acer
    8.00%
    2
    Samsung
    16.00%
    4
    I know you hate them right now, but its Dell.
    28.00%
    7

    The poll is expired.

    Last edited by Biscuit; 20 Jun 16, 20:26.

  • #2
    I've just bought a second ASUS to help my first one. Always been happy with them.

    Toshiba is getting out of the computer business.
    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
    Hyperwar, Whats New
    World War II Resources
    The best place in the world to "work".

    Comment


    • #3
      No Mac?
      "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

      BoRG

      Comment


      • #4
        I have some teaching stuff that won't cross over to Mac. I like to use Publisher. That's the reason I left Macs off the list.

        If there are some compelling reasons I should consider a Mac, I'm open. I won't have the money to buy new computer until after July 8th.

        Comment


        • #5
          Get an Apple. I have gone through about a dozen Microsoft machines since the time I Joined ACG. But my used Apple keeps soldiering even with no support for years and never had any virus and whatever else protection.

          I'm on a Toshiba now, it is on paper twice as fast as my old Apple G4, but is in reality about three times slower and it freezes up a lot and I have to constantly reboot it.
          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

          Prayers.

          BoRG

          http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
            I have some teaching stuff that won't cross over to Mac. I like to use Publisher. That's the reason I left Macs off the list.

            If there are some compelling reasons I should consider a Mac, I'm open. I won't have the money to buy new computer until after July 8th.
            In my business, Mac is the standard. I haven't seen anybody use a PC in more than five years. The reason is supposed to be the multimedia opportunities. If you aren't looking to play games or write papers, Mac is where it's at I'm told.
            "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

            BoRG

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
              Soooo, I bought a Dell Inspiron 15 months ago today. The motherboard is dead. After spending 4 hours on the phone with Dell's Customer Support today, they have made it clear that they would have repaired it for free had I bought it directly from them. However, they don't back anything they sell at Best Buy for more than a year.

              I need to buy a new laptop. I'll die a slow death before I give Dell a dime. It needs to be able to access the military websites and record/edit videos. Everything else I do is pretty standard, maybe some video streaming for movies. I'm on a budget money-wise, but want to buy a laptop that will last me longer than 15 months. Any and all suggestions are welcome: I'll take a favorite company or a favorite laptop model.
              First of all consider Consumer Reports laptops. For a small fee they are the most honest. (IMO)

              Talk to your tech guru. (He's your best friend. indeed.) Mine hooked me up with a craptop that has lasted about 8 years. It's old and clunky but my goto bot. The reason for that is I can throw it away and use the more modern one without any pain. Viruses I don't care about because this one is disposable. Runs the games and videos without a hassle. (Had to replace the cooling fan.)

              Best of all I don't have to talk to some smuck in India...
              Credo quia absurdum.


              Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

              Comment


              • #8
                Sal, can you add Mac to the poll. I'm assuming that Paul wants to change his vote (assuming he's made one).

                Couple of questions:
                1. Can I still access the military websites I need to conduct business? (ie - MyPay, NKO, etc.)
                2. I do still generate hundreds of pages of documents annually for teaching stuff. Is a Mac still good for that?

                Comment


                • #9
                  A mac set my ex's house on fire. They refused to comp her. (And the bot was a gift from a exec from crapple.)
                  Credo quia absurdum.


                  Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                    Sal, can you add Mac to the poll. I'm assuming that Paul wants to change his vote (assuming he's made one).

                    Couple of questions:
                    1. Can I still access the military websites I need to conduct business? (ie - MyPay, NKO, etc.)
                    2. I do still generate hundreds of pages of documents annually for teaching stuff. Is a Mac still good for that?
                    And you should never ever put personal info on the net. I've never entered my name or ssn on any bot. Really.
                    Credo quia absurdum.


                    Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      +1 Bwaha - I can't rep you just yet. Thanks for putting your 2 cents in.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                        Sal, can you add Mac to the poll. I'm assuming that Paul wants to change his vote (assuming he's made one).
                        I do not have that ability. Only GCoyote can add to the poll and change votes.

                        Couple of questions:
                        1. Can I still access the military websites I need to conduct business? (ie - MyPay, NKO, etc.)
                        2. I do still generate hundreds of pages of documents annually for teaching stuff. Is a Mac still good for that?
                        I see not reason why not.

                        Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                        A mac set my ex's house on fire. They refused to comp her. (And the bot was a gift from a exec from crapple.)
                        Microsoft machines always run hotter in my experience. Even my IBM ran hot, and the only times I experienced my hands sweating was on a Toshiba about 5 or 6 MS machines ago.

                        I have dropped my Mac numerous times even on pavement and nothing ever broke. I even beat a rat to death once. I tossed an HP aside on my bed and and the screen broke.

                        Any Mac is a well built machine as testified by anyone that uses them. Back in the days of those laptop fires, they were all PC machines. Your ex must have been a idiot.
                        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

                        Prayers.

                        BoRG

                        http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Don't worry about changing votes. I am the only one that has voted so far!

                          Pruitt
                          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

                          Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

                          by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                            I do not have that ability. Only GCoyote can add to the poll and change votes.


                            I see not reason why not.


                            Microsoft machines always run hotter in my experience. Even my IBM ran hot, and the only times I experienced my hands sweating was on a Toshiba about 5 or 6 MS machines ago.

                            I have dropped my Mac numerous times even on pavement and nothing ever broke. I even beat a rat to death once. I tossed an HP aside on my bed and and the screen broke.

                            Any Mac is a well built machine as testified by anyone that uses them. Back in the days of those laptop fires, they were all PC machines. Your ex must have been a idiot.
                            No it was a mac. Wasn't hers but one of the kids. The ex was rather exceptional in her seduction techniques. A master at it one could say... Much to my surprise...
                            Credo quia absurdum.


                            Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                              I do not have that ability. Only GCoyote can add to the poll and change votes.

                              I have dropped my Mac numerous times even on pavement and nothing ever broke. I even beat a rat to death once. I tossed an HP aside on my bed and and the screen broke.

                              Any Mac is a well built machine as testified by anyone that uses them. Back in the days of those laptop fires, they were all PC machines. Your ex must have been a idiot.
                              Thanks Sal!

                              I like that I can beat a rat to death with it, should the situation arise.

                              Just an observation: It seems like a lot of people describe their ex's as being idiots. Must be a character trait of ex's!

                              I'm still open to all options, but its time to suss out the Mac's for price and options.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X