Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst experience of a university/ college course?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst experience of a university/ college course?

Hi guys, sorry for going AWOL.

I have just recently started studying at a university level and really enjoying some of the subjects I am enrolled in, and the new friends I have gained over the last semester has been great.

Unfortunately I have had one subject that has been a bit of a pain all semester, through the poorly designed course structure and a subject coordinator who has had very little interest in the students throughout the semester. This has come to a head recently with a lack of consistency of referencing styles through the course resulting in a choice of the most difficult and least used referencing style for the exam. Then their was a tirade of petty comments from the coordinator directed towards a student who was simply trying to understand the start dates and due dates of the take home exam. After that I was very unimpressed by the immaturity of the coordinator, possibly resulting in myself making a complaint against her actions.

So what has been your worst experiences of university or college and what were your best?
    http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Two of my lecturers at uni ran off and had an affair, then one of them came back and immediately went on stress leave.
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
    Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
      Two of my lecturers at uni ran off and had an affair, then one of them came back and immediately went on stress leave.
      I think I have been trying to get one of my lecturers on stress leave seeing the amount of time she spends shutting me down when I add to the discussion in class or it might be that she a massive femin nazi.
      http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

I started my MA in WW1 at one university but had to jump ship and finish it at another. This was largely because the Vice Chancelor had decided that WW1 was definitely not a PC subject to study (nor was WW2 for that matter. So that between the time I applied for the course and when I arrived) the professor in charge (a very well known historian) had moved to another university taking with him three excellent lecturers all recognised experts on the period. The guy we got landed with was a COIN expert and didn't seem interested in WW1 and did a lot of counter factual discussions. At the end of the first year I and four others followed the original prof to his new place and finished our studies under him. The course that we had originally registered on has now been discontinued.
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

The worst, in undergraduate study, was a professor teaching the Problems of Contemporary Christian Thought who had a required reading for each class that was incompatible with a student carrying five or six subjects. And the best was not a single experience but a number of profound thoughts from various professors which stayed with me for over fifty years.

The worst, in graduate studies international relations, was two young professors who used solely New Left sources which skewed interpretation and perspective of events. The best was a wise, old professor who gave me reading assignments which exposed the flawed methodology in New Left writings.
          Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Upon returning to college from a rather long hitch in the USN (this was back in 1970-something) I was assigned a Psychology professor who blamed ALL veterans for the VietNam debacle. Needless to say I dropped the course as it became apparent that the only thing this instructor was lecturing about was how the US military had screwed up SouthEast Asia.
            Last edited by Jose50; 23 May 16, 09:00.
            ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Took a winter course once, the required reading was like twelve books.
              That would have been much for a full semester, the Professor was a nut case. Chalk that one up as support the bookstore.
              My worst jump story:
              My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
              As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
              No lie.

~
              "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
                Upon returning to college from a rather long hitch in the USN (this was back in 1970-something) I was assigned a Psychology professor who blamed ALL veterans for the VietNam debacle. Needless to say I dropped the course as it became apparent that the only thing this instructor was lecturing about was how the US military had screwed up SouthEast Asia.
                I have had a few Professors try to bait me, I'm smart enough to know better.
                My worst jump story:
                No lie.

~
                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 150935 View Post
                  I think I have been trying to get one of my lecturers on stress leave seeing the amount of time she spends shutting me down when I add to the discussion in class or it might be that she a massive femin nazi.
                  I have literally taken over a few classes, step aside I'm instructing now. Other times I just know when to shut the **** up. The latter approach is so much easier.
                  My worst jump story:
                  No lie.

~
                  -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I once proved the North was doing the majority of slave smuggling prior to the Civil War. Upset several classmates.
                    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                    Hyperwar, Whats New
                    World War II Resources
                    The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

The hardest class I was in in the 90's was a Music Appreciation Class! The Professor was hard corps about music, and I wasn't. My first semester in college in 1971 I took Pre-Calculus class for several weeks. I swear the Professor got up in from of the class and proceeded to Cosine the Cosecant of the Sine as fast as I have described it. He had a smile on his lips as he did so. I was bewildered and dropped the class. Twenty years later I am telling the Registrar that I had dropped this class and my records were wrong and she smiled and asked me if I still had my drop slip? This class and several others prevent me from ever bringing up my GPA in college to 3.0. Last I checked it was 2.99996 or so.

My favorite classes were the two History Classes I took under a Dr Delatte. There were only two other students that could keep up when she and I started volleying back and forth in Military History Class! I remember the 19 year old ROTC student that wailed in class one day: "None of this is in the book! Why can't we just talk about what is in the book?". Another class I enjoyed was Micro and Macro Economics under Dr Kurth. I had tried taking Economics twice before my first swing through college and failed both times. This time I made A's! Geography Class was fun under Dr Freedom as well. He was Ukrainian.

Pruitt
                      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I think my worst was a junior year course on data structures for computer programming. This was like one of the first junior year classes you were supposed to take. There were no prerequisites for it.

The class was blindsided by being told they had a week to learn a new programming language that wasn't previously required in coursework (Pascal). Luckily for me I'd already taken several classes in it so I was set.
                        The instructor was a grad student that was useless as an instructor and not particularly cooperative with students.
                        From what I could tell, the whole course was designed to fail or force drop as many people as possible. That the course was a mandatory one and run that way seemed horribly unfair and unnecessary to me.

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
                          I once proved the North was doing the majority of slave smuggling prior to the Civil War. Upset several classmates.
                          That's fine, but don't say that here.
                          My worst jump story:
                          No lie.

~
                          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
                            Well there is some evidence that some Northerners based in New York were still doing it after the civil was over (to Cuba)

Note this in no way endorses any Lost Cause propaganda - other theories are available. There are always greedy bastards everywhere
                            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Worst college experience would have to be the Intro to Public Speaking course I took in the fall of 2008. The final required us to give a public speech and it was one of the most embarrassing moments ever with my stuttering. I stutter really badly when speaking in public. I just rushed through my speech without even looking at my classmates.

Best college experience would have to be any of the several political science courses that I took. Excellent professors (and shocking enough most of them leaned to the right), great debates, I was excited to attend every class. It was obvious that most of my classmates took these classes as electives but I really had alot of fun writing papers about current events and political affairs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X