Periodicals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Periodicals?

I picked up two S&T magazines this afternoon.
    • Strategy and Tactics
    • Sky and Telescope

That got me thinking about the reading habits of our members.

Do you still read magazines? [Outside of the dentist's waiting room that is.]
    Do you subscribe to any periodicals?
    Do you have a favorite?
    Less than once a month
    12.50%
    One to Three per month
    12.50%
    Four to Six per month
    8.33%
    Seven or more per month
    4.17%
    Military History
    14.58%
    Other History
    6.25%
    Other Military
    4.17%
    Modelling
    4.17%
    Gaming
    4.17%
    Other Hobby Related
    8.33%
    Professional Publications and Journals
    12.50%
    Others not listed above
    8.33%

The poll is expired.

Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

"Amateur Photographer," I'd also like, "Scale Aircraft Modelling," and, "Britain at War," (thumb through them at the newsagents' if I've got time to kill) to be taken into consideration.
    Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

I purchase six model railroading magazines per month. The two most important, which I purchase by subscription, are The Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette, and N Scale. The latter is devoted entirely to the scale in which I work 1:160. The other contain articles and photographs of interest which I keep for reference usage.

The only bookstore in the Canon City-Florence area does not carry ACG. Probably waaay to cerebral for the locals, who prefer Guns and Ammo.

I do my historical and other non-fiction reading through the local libraries.

The covers, BTW, are of actual layouts and models.
      Last edited by Mountain Man; 21 May 16, 16:37.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I leafed through some magazine at the VA last year (or two years ago) and, I think FDR was man of the year.
        Skip

Comment

Originally posted by skiplc View Post
          I leafed through some magazine at the VA last year (or two years ago) and, I think FDR was man of the year.
          The only magazine I read and get in my mail.................VFW

Comment

Military history

WWII

News Mag if something catches my eye.

German automobile club
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I glance through my association newsletter, which is an a magazine format and a dozen pages long. I get three professional periodicals my agency pays for.

Otherwise, it has been years since I had a magazine subscription. I don't even get the newspaper anymore.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                I purchase six model railroading magazines per month. The two most important, which I purchase by subscription, are The Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette, and N Scale. The latter is devoted entirely to the scale in which I work 1:160. The other contain articles and photographs of interest which I keep for reference usage.

The only bookstore in the Canon City-Florence area does not carry ACG. Probably waaay to cerebral for the locals, who prefer Guns and Ammo.

I do my historical and other non-fiction reading through the local libraries.

The covers, BTW, are of actual layouts and models.
                That trestle bridge looks great!

http://mashable.com/2015/10/29/railr.../#xqrsbi.1skqM
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I get many magazines a month by subscription. The oldest subscriptions I have are to Armor Magazine and Strategy and Tactics. I get several magazines over the counter as well. Some come monthly, some are bi-monthly and a couple are quarterly! I really like my Medieval Warfare and Ancient Warfare. I get them from the Netherlands. I also get an interesting one called Ancient Americans. Some issues are better than others! I get about five or six from History Net.

The bad news is I don't throw any away!

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Given that some serious bulletins are quarterly - monthly consumption is a little misleading
                    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

I give the Navy Reserve magazine a quick look for pictures to hang in my classroom, but sometimes they end up in a pile and do several months at once. I rarely read the American Legion magazine, and can't even tell you how often it comes. The volume of mail I get is overwhelming, so I start with one quick review and throw anything that doesn't look essential to maintain my credit, pay my bills, or stay on top of my health insurance. Its rare that anything in the mailbox is a welcome sight.

Comment

Popular Science, American Rifleman, Smithsonian. Used to do National Geographic but they got too political for my liking...
                        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                          Given that some serious bulletins are quarterly - monthly consumption is a little misleading
                          Understood. That's why I split type vs frequency in the poll. I get Military History Quarterly and occasionally Modern War, a bi-monthly.
                          Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

I don't subscribe to magazines anymore since I had to cut costs when I got laid off, I used to subscribe to Military History, Military Heritage, WWII, and Armchair General. I never subscribed to Strategy & Tactics but it's always been a favorite of mine as well.

Every so often though I will go down to my local Barnes & Noble and check out some magazines, maybe buy a few if they look interesting. Quite frankly I am surprised that more of these magazines don't move towards an e-viewing/online subscription.

Comment

I still get medical journals from time to time, depending on which subscription list they look at. JAMA and JAAPA.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X