Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cry France my beloved country

Hi Friends,

The heat was worst as expected, this morning the minister of Health has officaly recognize that the number of deaths due to Heat could probably reach or be more than 5000 peoples.

Worst all the old folks who got overthermy (more than 42°) will have uncurable sequels in brain. Most of those old folks who were able to live alone at home, now will need to be followed in hospital or specialized clinics.

All that because some civil servant with bureaucratic mentality don't inform their minister. They probably thought it was not very important to inform politics, that this big Heat wave could severly damamage the Emergency services (in case of emergency there is a plan to mobilize all nurses ans doctors in holidays) and permit politics to gave warning to old peoples through television.

I'm realy criying, it is a tragedy, our society don't care of old folks.

I costs 5000 deads and thousands of disabled people

Life is unfair

Der WanderTear
    The Best weapon ever:a good Joke. The Best shield ever: Humour
    JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003
    The Birth of European Army Tournament round Three is opened

Originally posted by jlbetin
    Hi Friends,

The heat was worst as expected, this morning the minister of Health has officaly recognize that the number of deaths due to Heat could probably reach or be more than 5000 peoples.

Worst all the old folks who got overthermy (more than 42°) will have uncurable sequels in brain. Most of those old folks who were able to live alone at home, now will need to be followed in hospital or specialized clinics.

All that because some civil servant with bureaucratic mentality don't inform their minister. They probably thought it was not very important to inform politics, that this big Heat wave could severly damamage the Emergency services (in case of emergency there is a plan to mobilize all nurses ans doctors in holidays) and permit politics to gave warning to old peoples through television.

I'm realy criying, it is a tragedy, our society don't care of old folks.

I costs 5000 deads and thousands of disabled people

Life is unfair

Der WanderTear
    Hello,

As much I love to bash France, I'm sorry for the human losses you French have suffered since this heat wave appeared.

However, this begs one question, how come the losses have been so large? Most of heat waves that do occur here in the USA had only caused prehaps three or four dozens of deaths, but that's it. 5,000 people dead is a bit hard to stomach given such nature of heat waves.

What is the average temperature during the heat waves? I mean in France. It must have reached the point of boiling. I don't know how to convert the celicus into frandhiedt (I really hate to spell scientific words), nevertheless, I am curious.

Dan
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Yes, I was also shocked by news seeing on the rolling sidebar of FOX HQ building on my way to lunch today... 5000 lives gone! ... This is no longer funny (as I thought at the beginning, see my one of my old posts..), what the hell is going on there? And I guess the TV shows will change their tone as well (like CNN had been joking about the heat wave as I did ...) I also heard there were mounting calls to urge the resign of health minister. Well, at this number of loss, I think human mistake is a significant part of the game --- only high heat itself should not cause so much damage ---- if reacted fast and properly.

Hope you guys get cooler there soon!
      Last edited by ER_Chaser; 18 Aug 03, 14:24.
      Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

485 people died (from heat related stress) in Chicago in 1995 during a very hot week. In Chicago in 1999 a heat wave caused 103 heat related deaths. The difference is attributed to lessons learned in 1995 and the City's heat-emergency procedures.

For the most part people just need to look out for each other when this type of thing happens. During a heat emergengy in Chicago the police, fire, and social services people pretty much go door to door to look for people (mostly elderly) that need assistance. Cooling centers are also opened to the public and transportation is provided to those in need.

And we are here as on a darkling plain
        Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
        Where ignorant armies clash by night.

Matthew Arnold

Comment

Main temperature in august is between 25-30 celcius which is 77-86

highest value for south of France Lowest for north including Paris

In my sleeping room it has reached 107 F, I'm stll young 47 but I was sweating a lot. I was drinking something like 2-3 liters a day.

But think of old folks which have less the thurst sense and drink only 1/2 a liter, their internal temperature reached quickly 42 celcius which is 107,2 F, at this temperature brain damages are irreversible

To add, I told again we had since sad week the hightest temperature mesured ever in France ( since probably 2 centuries) 42 celcius 107,2 F
          This wa measured in special quiest places with very stable conditions

Der WanderLowSpirit
          Last edited by jlbetin; 18 Aug 03, 13:24.
          JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003

Comment

First head cut tonight, the director of Health. But problem of Alerting the Politics is still here, this guy is a scapegoat.

to continue on temperature, during the nights the main temperature was 25,5c/77,9 F which a very high temperature for a European country

Der Wanderer

Comment

Anytime the temperature exceeds body temperate (37-38, forget which it is) the vulnerable are going to start dying. Nothing really amazing about people dying in 40 degree temperature, but the scale that it happend in France is really appalling.
              "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

– Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

Comment

Originally posted by jlbetin
                First head cut tonight, the director of Health. But problem of Alerting the Politics is still here, this guy is a scapegoat.

to continue on temperature, during the nights the main temperature was 25,5c/77,9 F which a very high temperature for a European country

Der Wanderer
                Hello,

I'm willing to bet that the air-conditioning companies will be eager to reap huge profits when the hospitals and many other businesses are forced to buy or install new air-conditioners.

To be frank with you, I'm really surprised that so many hospitals and businesses didn't have any air-conditioning. It's really a cardinal sin not to think it thoroughout.

I assume French are looking to axe somebody when this heat wave is done with. Right now, I wouldn't want to be in the health minister's shoes. I hear French are very good at axeing somebody's heads, after all, the gullionate was invented over there!

A mild joke to be sure....

Dan
                Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772
                  Hello,

I'm willing to bet that the air-conditioning companies will be eager to reap huge profits when the hospitals and many other businesses are forced to buy or install new air-conditioners.

To be frank with you, I'm really surprised that so many hospitals and businesses didn't have any air-conditioning. It's really a cardinal sin not to think it thoroughout.

I assume French are looking to axe somebody when this heat wave is done with. Right now, I wouldn't want to be in the health minister's shoes. I hear French are very good at axeing somebody's heads, after all, the gullionate was invented over there!

A mild joke to be sure....

Dan
                  I would say 90% of Offices in big cities have Air C., to let people work in best conditions.

But as France is supposed to be in a temperate climate zone AC is not very usefull except 2 month a year in south of France. To live with a temperature of 25/30 celcius 77/86 don't imply AC, it is too expensive and ROI is null or negative.

No the solution is to provide elderlies water spray, it avoid 90% of overheating problem, just a small water spray can and you save lot of lifes !!!!.
                  Marseilles Hospital safe most of old people sent in ER by doing that.

In US your temperature are such than AC is mandatory, not here in europe

Der Wanderer

Comment

From what i undestand France virtualu shuts-down during August, if so was this a factor in the tragedy?

Comment

Originally posted by Faramir
                      From what i undestand France virtualu shuts-down during August, if so was this a factor in the tragedy?
                      These 5000 death are mainly old people who live orare alone and especialy more than usual in August.

Emergency services are in low tide as lot of people are in holidays.

Problem of information difusion inside and between the Ministry of Health services.

And a lack or too big delay of reaction when it appears that a sanitary catastrophe will rise.

Think that mostly all nights we had had the temperature of a normal summer day 25° / 77F

Der Wanderer
                      Last edited by jlbetin; 19 Aug 03, 13:14.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned the entire French government should be fired over this for gross incompetance. This should have never happened, it's just common sense that the elderly will have problems in extreme heat. They should have had people out checking on the elderly with some place where they could go for relief from the heat, a shelter of some sort.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X