The Luck Factor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Luck Factor

This is an interesting read on Luck, good and bad, as a factor in human events ...
    Why Luck Matters More Than You Might Think

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...-think/476394/
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
    Present Current Events are the Future's History

I've no skill, talent, work ethic and my get up and go is long gone. But, I'm the luckiest bastard I know...
    I'm scared that one day Lady Luck will desert me and I'll die just like the rest of you wretched peasants.

The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
      I've no skill, talent, work ethic and my get up and go is long gone. But, I'm the luckiest bastard I know...
      I'm scared that one day Lady Luck will desert me and I'll die just like the rest of you wretched peasants.

And then you might get to know how lucky or unlucky you really are are
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post

You can count on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          You can count on it.
          Bugger... thought I might have twirled it somehow.
          The long toll of the brave
          Is not lost in darkness
          Over the fruitful earth
          And athwart the seas
          Hath passed the light of noble deeds
          Unquenchable forever.

Comment

I sometimes reflect on the luck of having a bad case of the shits.........it made it possible for me to be stationed in the IV corp instead of I corp....{Phu Bai}

Comment

As the author of the OP article points out, so happened an EMT ambulance was excess to an aid call and happened to be a few hundred yards away when he needed one, not the usual five miles ... QUOTE:
              "
              If that ambulance hadn’t happened to have been nearby, I would be dead.

Not all random events lead to favorable outcomes, of course. Mike Edwards is no longer alive because chance frowned on him. Edwards, formerly a cellist in the British pop band the Electric Light Orchestra, was driving on a rural road in England in 2010 when a 1,300-pound bale of hay rolled down a steep hillside and landed on his van, crushing him. By all accounts, he was a decent, peaceful man. That a bale of hay snuffed out his life was bad luck, pure and simple. "
              http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...-think/476394/
              TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
              “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
              Present Current Events are the Future's History

Comment

And one person's good luck can be someone else's bad luck. many many years ago I was pushing my motor bike through thick falling snow and was struck from behind by a skidding car. This left me lying on the road side with concussion, a dislocated knee and heavy bruising. Some one found a phone (this was way before mobiles) and called an ambulance. It was a long time coming - what happened was that after my accident there was another one on the same stretch of road about half a mile away and another call for an ambulance was made. The one despatched for me arrived at the later accident which wa closer to the ambulance station and assumed it was the one they were called out to picked up the victim and rushed them to hospital. The second ambulance eventually picked me up, although they had arrived at the reported site of the accident that had been despatched to and found no one they did think to drive a bit further down the road and found me. That other victim's good luck in getting an ambulance extra quick was my bad luck.
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

All hail random chance.

How lucky was the rabbit's foot for the rabbit?
                  Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                  Hyperwar, Whats New
                  World War II Resources
                  The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
                    All hail random chance.

How lucky was the rabbit's foot for the rabbit?
                    Exactly...

Comment

Lord Lucan. was known as Lucky Lucan - even the longest run of good fortune runs out sometime. A sobering thought given that many cosmologists ascribe life on Earth as the result of a chain of fortuitous events

Comment

Luck.

Napoléon Bonaparte had his name changed by an Astrologer, According to Numerology.

He Use to believe in Luck. Before appointing any one he use to ask, is he a Lucky person.

Person Born with certain Benific Planets placed properly or in good houses makes him generally lucky.

There are many combination but a man must pay for his works and deeds.
                        HIS KARMA

Anybody with some knowledge of Astrology will find this web page
                        interesting.

http://www.navamsa.com/?p=1784

Incidentally Saddam Hussain also had some similarity in Chart with Hitler, Napoleon.

vikram

Comment

Originally posted by vikram72 View Post

He Use to believe in Luck. Before appointing any one he use to ask, is he a Lucky person.

vikram
                          Gross exaggeration - he once (once!) asked of a new general "is he lucky" and even this is apocryphal

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                            Gross exaggeration - he once (once!) asked of a new general "is he lucky" and even this is apocryphal
                            Napoleon Bonaparte :Sourced quote

"All great events hang by a hair, I believe in luck, and the wise man neglects nothing which contributes to his destiny"

https://simple.wikiquote.org/wiki/Napoleon_Bonaparte

“I know he's a good general, but is he lucky?”

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/8120...ut-is-he-lucky

Do you see up there? … That is my star. There it is, shining before you. It has never left me. I see it in all great moments. It commands me to go forward, and that is always a sign of good luck for me.

Napoleon Bonaparte

Napoleon Bonaparte was born in Corsica, an island known at the time for the “egregious superstition” of its inhabitants. (1) A 19th century guidebook observed that the Corsicans “believe in the mal’occhio, or ‘evil eye,’ and in witchcraft as sturdily as their ancestors of the sixteenth century.”
                            Napoleon believed that he was guided by a lucky star. French psychiatrist Alexandre Brierre de Boismont relates an anecdote told to him in 1846 by a Monsieur Passy, who claimed to have it heard directly from General Jean Rapp.
                            Marshal Auguste de Marmont writes of the star in his memoirs. He claims that one day at the palace of Fontainebleau, Napoleon was arguing with his uncle, Cardinal Joseph Fesch.

At the end, the Emperor took [Fesch] by the hand, opened the window, and led him onto the balcony. ‘Look up there,’ he said, ‘do you see anything?’ ‘No,’ replied Fesch, ‘I see nothing.’ ‘Well, then, learn to hold your tongue,’ the Emperor went on. ‘I see my star; it is that which guides me. Do not compare your weak and imperfect faculties to my superior organization.’ (5)
                            http://shannonselin.com/2015/11/was-...superstitious/

Comment

Stalin, Hitler, many US Presidents had personal Astrologers.

Also in Classical Times.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X