Be careful what you click on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be careful what you click on

Ransomeware attacks - hinting Britain currently but could appear anywhere If some message claims you owe a company or charity you've never dealt with take care do not click on anything in them. See below BBC report
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35996408
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Best of all is never revealing your identity. My name on my bot is user. I don't have my name or SSN on my bot. I refuse to conform and give one iota of personal information. When I buy something online I use a VISA gift card. Online banking is for fools. I do it face to face with a human.

Bottom line is I refuse to give personal data on the web...
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Heh as a retired person I've got way too much time on my hands.

I created a profile of a 'Sir Harry Dick the third' and went trolling...

Great amusement befell as I revealed that I needed to hide my hedge funds from the feds. I wasn't interested in his little scam but I needed desperately to find a place to hide my illicit gains...

Where I got the idea.

http://forum.419eater.com/forum/album.php
        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

You're my kind of evil!

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
            Best of all is never revealing your identity. My name on my bot is user. I don't have my name or SSN on my bot. I refuse to conform and give one iota of personal information. When I buy something online I use a VISA gift card. Online banking is for fools. I do it face to face with a human.

Doesn't protect you from this one unless you never buy anything on line. The sacmmer don't give a tinkers fart for your personal data as such so long as they can get your e-mail address to send you the scam mail. If they do and you click on it that initiates the encryption worm embedded in it and it seals up your PC/tablet/implant whatever
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Also, hijacked contact list from Yahoo e-mail accounts when you get a Hi (name) from one of your friends and all there is in the message is a link to click on.

Further investigation finds that the friend's e-mail return address is not from Yahoo, but from, in this case, sim-o dot com
              “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

I pay all my utilities online. Buy plenty of stuff online. Have my identity on multiple sites. For many years now. Never got into trouble, never lost a single eurocent to cyberfraud. I think most people that do get in trouble are just very naive or disregard minimal rules of online and PC safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Imperial View Post
                  I pay all my utilities online. Buy plenty of stuff online. Have my identity on multiple sites. For many years now. Never got into trouble, never lost a single eurocent to cyberfraud. I think most people that do get in trouble are just very naive or disregard minimal rules of online and PC safety.
                  And your from where? No insult intended but that part of the world isn't renowned for great wealth. I 'could' lose a couple million bucks if I wasn't really hyper paranoid about online transactions...
                  Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

Hotmail told me it was spam (I only read it because I deleted the message above from a jobsite that keeps sending me jobs in Australia, so I class it as junk and look at it when I'm bored), and it seems I was right to block the sender.

Thanks for the reassurance.
                    Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Easy solution. Don't click on crap like that. I have never gotten hit because I don't click on it unless I am expecting it

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

And your from where? No insult intended but that part of the world isn't renowned for great wealth. I 'could' lose a couple million bucks if I wasn't really hyper paranoid about online transactions...
                        You can use a debit card not linked to your main bank account(s) and engage in online payments without worries.

Comment

Ransomware attacks have hit two large hospitals recently.

One precaution I take, business and personal emails use different addresses. If something that looks like it's from the bank shows up in my personal email box, it's either spam or advertising.
                          Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Is this something new, because I was under the impression that just opening an email was not dangerous. You have to click on the link inside.
                            Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                            Hyperwar, Whats New
                            World War II Resources
                            The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Ah!

Most viruses, Trojan horses, and worms are activated when you open an attachment or click a link contained in an email message. If your email client allows scripting, then it is possible to get a virus by simply opening a message. It's best to limit what HTML is available in your email messages.
                              Best to run Firefox with NoScript.
                              Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                              Hyperwar, Whats New
                              World War II Resources
                              The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X