Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Beer Day.

Happy Beer Day.

To you who don't know about it, its the day that prohibition ended.

Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

England had tried to introduce partial prohibition long before with the Spirits Acts of 1732 and 1751 which attempted to effectively eliminate the retail sales of distilled products (mainly gin). They were widely evaded and provided a fillip to Scots production of Whisky which hitherto had been widely scorned in England as being a primitive crude drink (and probably at the time much of it was old fashioned rot gut) and the smuggling of Brandy from France.
    It also gave rise to the invention of the first coin operated vending machine this being a cast iron cats head on a wall in London. Inserting a penny in the slot produced a measure of gin poured from the cats mouth. The mechanism however was a man the other side of the wall with a jug.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Interesting/fun bit of history there.
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I've just surfaced from my last night shift for a month... I shall now sally forth to partake in a happy beer day.

The long toll of the brave
        Is not lost in darkness
        Over the fruitful earth
        And athwart the seas
        Hath passed the light of noble deeds
        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

I will drink to that.
          War is less costly than servitude

Comment

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X