Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zip Line, The future of medical delivery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zip Line, The future of medical delivery?

SAN FRANCISCO— How's this for a flight plan to get a drone delivery service financially aloft?
    Carry cargo that's of live-saving importance, fly long-range fixed-wing aircraft in uncongested skies, and score a government as your first client.
    That's the atypical approach being taken by Zipline, a Bay Area startup that has raised $18 million in funding from Yahoo founder Jerry Yang, Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen and others.
    Companies such as Amazon and DHL are testing four-propeller helicopter (or quadcopter) drones for consumer goods deliveries in first world countries as lawmakers debate regulations governing such craft. Zipline founder Keller Rinaudo, in contrast, set his sights early on helping save African lives with a drone that looks like a small airplane.
    "Getting medicine to remote places is both a huge market and a global challenge," says Rinaudo, 29, a Harvard-trained scientist who before starting Zipline in 2011 was a professional rock climber. "About half the cases the doctors we spoke with see are mothers hemorrhaging after child birth and 30% are kids with malaria. There's nothing more precious than blood and medicine."

USA TODAY
    Drone coalition splits as DJI, GoPro faction quits

Starting in July, Zipline, which came out of stealth mode Monday, will begin shuttling blood and other vital medical supplies via its 22-pound, battery-powered Zip aircraft to remote clinics throughout the central African nation of Rwanda. The planes can carry a payload of up to 3.5 pounds and have a roundtrip range of 75 miles, or about triple that of the average quadcopter.
    Zip planes also can handle inclement weather much the way a traditional aircraft might, Rinaudo says, while quadcopters don't fare as well flying in stormy skies.
    Most intriguingly, Zip planes drop their parachute-carrying payloads into predetermined landing zones, eliminating the need to land at the delivery site. Onboard computers compensate for wind to ensure accurate drops. The planes are launched via a high-powered catapult. The pre-programmed flights are monitored on the ground via tablets.
    Typically, the rural Rwandan outposts served by Zipline are only reached a few times per year for resupply due largely to weather-ravaged road conditions, says Rinaudo. Zipline plans to have up to 150 flights per day, each one paid for by the Rwandan government.
    Deliveries will consist largely of blood and small vials of medicine to Rwandan clinics, but eventually the payload is likely to broaden and service to other African nations will begin later this year.
    While Rinaudo says he can envision demand for his service in Europe and the U.S., stringent aircraft regulations in those parts of the world makes those markets more difficult to navigate for drone delivery services. And first there's a small matter of making money.
    "We're not a charity and we hope to reach profitability very quickly," he says.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/n...yang/82536598/

I think I'm gonna buy into this firm...
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

I just love casual idiot lines like this one:

There's nothing more precious than blood and medicine."
    I call BS! There's lots of things more precious than blood and medicine. Depending on who you ask, and in what context:

Diamonds
    Children
    Friendships
    Safety

I'm sure you can add to that list of irrelevant appeals too.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      I just love casual idiot lines like this one:

I call BS! There's lots of things more precious than blood and medicine. Depending on who you ask, and in what context:

Diamonds
      Children
      Friendships
      Safety

I'm sure you can add to that list of irrelevant appeals too.
      If stuck down a mine
      • Air
      • Food
      • Water

If you are an addict (depending on your habit)
      • Drugs
      • Booze
      • Change for the slots

If a politician
      • Votes
      • Money
      • Money
      • Money
      • Votes
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

For the critically ill or injured;
        Blood and Medicines. Especially antivenom due to snake bites or other poisoning.
        “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Drones with infrared cameras would be useful for SAR work in deep woods and similar areas. They could also be useful in patrolling perimeter fences. A drone hovering over an area known for its high accident rate could be useful as well.

I'm waiting for the first person to be killed by falling debris from a mid-air drone collision.
          Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
          Hyperwar, Whats New
          World War II Resources
          The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Over the years we've had a number of people over here killed by being hit by radio controlled model aircraft, which, when you think about it, are a form of drone. One poor guy was even taken out by a low flying pulse jet (before they were banned) which was a bit like getting hit by a small V1
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
              For the critically ill or injured;
              Blood and Medicines. Especially antivenom due to snake bites or other poisoning.
              Fine if you add the qualifier to put things in context

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post

I'm waiting for the first person to be killed by falling debris from a mid-air drone collision.
                So it seems are the ambulance chasers http://www.droneinjurieslawyer.com/read-me/

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                  So it seems are the ambulance chasers http://www.droneinjurieslawyer.com/read-me/
                  "You should not yell 'FIRE' in a crowded theater or 'AMBULANCE!' in a crowded law school."
                  Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                  Hyperwar, Whats New
                  World War II Resources
                  The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Law school - where sharks go when the water dries up.

Comment

Interesting point though - if you are walking along the street and some goon fires at a drone over his adjacent property so that the damaged machine falls on you who has the liability the drone operator, the shooter or both? Does one have the right to knock down drones that fly over your property without your permission? If so what degree of care do you have to take - if any.

Comment

"Drone - ten o'clock high..."

Shooting down a drone over one's own property could get one in a heap o' trouble. Depending on where one lives it's illegal to discharge a firearm within a certain distance from occupied buildings or in certain municipalities.
                        Better to disable the critters using a directed energy beam. The Battelle DroneDefender is one that comes to mind. It's aimed like a rifle and the constant electron beam takes control of that pesky drone while you guide it safely to the ground where it can be neutralized or inspected for whatever information it has gathered.
                        For my part, I live far enough away from other occupied dwellings that I can use my Mossberg 12ga with the goose barrel to play "skeets with prizes"!
                        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

I wonder how easy it will be to shoot down those valuable commodities with an AK?

Or use a radio jammer?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            I wonder how easy it will be to shoot down those valuable commodities with an AK?

Or use a radio jammer?
                            Or, an RPG...

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
                              Shooting down a drone over one's own property could get one in a heap o' trouble. Depending on where one lives it's illegal to discharge a firearm within a certain distance from occupied buildings or in certain municipalities.
                              Better to disable the critters using a directed energy beam. The Battelle DroneDefender is one that comes to mind. It's aimed like a rifle and the constant electron beam takes control of that pesky drone while you guide it safely to the ground where it can be neutralized or inspected for whatever information it has gathered.
                              For my part, I live far enough away from other occupied dwellings that I can use my Mossberg 12ga with the goose barrel to play "skeets with prizes"!
                              Not here in Colorado, where it is legal to shoot down anything that frightens your livestock, your chickens or your women!

Seriuosly light aircraft pilots get into a heap of trouble when they fly too low over ranches, farms, dairy farms and chicken ranches. Major damage money.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X