Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does this remind something to our retired British members?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does this remind something to our retired British members?

Hello to all.

The Look at Life serie is my all time fave.
    The perfection of the lightning and the sharpness of the film make it a hit.

Does this one remind their youthness to our respectable retired British members?
    Cause it is so iconic.

That rug really tied the room together

Up till five years ago there was a bloke with a pony and cart that used to come round halifax picking up scrap.
    "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Here in AZ they look like this and are usually Hispanic:

In fact, just a couple weeks ago I got one passing by to haul off my old Mastercool evap. He was quite happy to load it himself. We both said "Thank you" and off he went.

Comment

When I was a kid a tatter on our street stabled his old nag in the front room!
        The long toll of the brave
        Is not lost in darkness
        Over the fruitful earth
        And athwart the seas
        Hath passed the light of noble deeds
        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
          One way to keep flies out o kitchen.
          The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Problem these days is that some come round and remove scrap before it has become scrap (using hack saws and bolt cutters etc)
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
              He should have sent her in to the kitchen to get supper on the table and a pot of tea brewing.

Oh, Von, it's really not nice to call a neighbors wife an old nag, even when true.
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I came across this one.

While watching at it ,i felt like i was on the planet Mars.
                A witness of an epoca gone for ever , in my modest opinion ..

Comment

Apart from upgrades to the technology the Black Cabs are till not too dissimilar. Despite Sat Nav the drivers still have to gain "the Knowledge" although for years they have done it on mopeds, motor scooters or small motor bikes rather than push bikes
                  Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Last time I was up to London many of the cab's were other colors than black and the drivers less than a model of politeness and lacking in dress. The T-shirts in a blue cab just doesn't compare with the white shirt and tie. London lost something there.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                      Last time I was up to London many of the cab's were other colors than black and the drivers less than a model of politeness and lacking in dress. The T-shirts in a blue cab just doesn't compare with the white shirt and tie. London lost something there.
                      Since when have black cab drivers ever been polite? And I don't remember any of them wearing anything other than scruffy tat. Hansom Cab drivers were a byword for surly rudeness - the only polite ones are in Disnified films sporting Van Dyke parodies of a cockney accent.

Comment

Not my experience back in 71. Perhaps I lucked out. The cab was as clean as if it came straight from the factory, the driver had suit coat, white shirt and tie. We waved him down in St James Park and told him to take us to the Tower. "Sir, if your interested I can show you a couple out of the way places between here and the Tower" Sure, ya by way of Liverpool I thought. No, he was good to his word, Pudding Lane, Great Fire of London and a few side streets but pretty much a straight line between start and finished. I was and remain impressed by that gentleman.

Comment

This "exam" is still required of London cab drivers today:

http://www.the-london-taxi.com/london_taxi_knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                            This "exam" is still required of London cab drivers today:

http://www.the-london-taxi.com/london_taxi_knowledge
                            Yes I said in my earlier post

Comment

Ok Guys.
                              Except for the exam,what's remaining from the past?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X