NHS has staff shortages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHS has staff shortages

Britain's National Health Service has major staff shortages and is having to use agencies to get doctors from all over to fill the gap (BBC report) but this is ridiculous
    http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/976/c...47ca59f5b4.jpg
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

But, how can that be? 1.7 million + employees... I guess they feel bad that they still employ a few less than McDonald's and Walmart...

Comment

It can be easily done if there are few doctors and the rest are mostly staff.

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        But, how can that be? 1.7 million + employees... I guess they feel bad that they still employ a few less than McDonald's and Walmart...
        And yet NHS patient cost, for the same overall level of care as that for someone in the US, is less than half.

US healthcare is not capitalist, its corporate and monopolistic.
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

You can't employ enough doctors and nurses if you haven't trained enough doctors and nurses. You can have all the hospital porters, cleaners, maintenance staff etc etc you can shake a stick at and not have enough doctors - especially if some have gone to sunnier climes
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
            And yet NHS patient cost, for the same overall level of care as that for someone in the US, is less than half.

US Healthcare is also saddled by laws that are crazy.

I talked to someone that spoke English with a Chinese accent so strong that I could barely understand him and only if he repeated his words several times. I was surprised to find out that he was a doctor. According to him, half of the patients that show up in the ER at the hospital are not even illegal aliens, but people who literally just stepped off a plane coming from places such as China and Taiwan. He is the doctor that admits them into the hospital after the ER doctors are done with them. I was shocked to find out that according to our laws, once anyone managed to get into the door to the ER, they have to be treated until cured - even private hospitals. So, his particular private hospital hired him from Taiwan for his Chinese speaking skills to deal with these medical tourists! His words: Why do you think Americans have to pay such much....because no one else pays!
            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post

I talked to someone that spoke English with a Chinese accent so strong that I could barely understand him and only if he repeated his words several times. I was surprised to find out that he was a doctor. According to him, half of the patients that show up in the ER at the hospital are not even illegal aliens, but people who literally just stepped off a plane coming from places such as China and Taiwan. He is the doctor that admits them into the hospital after the ER doctors are done with them. I was shocked to find out that according to our laws, once anyone managed to get into the door to the ER, they have to be treated until cured - even private hospitals. So, his particular private hospital hired him from Taiwan for his Chinese speaking skills to deal with these medical tourists! His words: Why do you think Americans have to pay such much....because no one else pays!
              I guess it's called common humanity - doctors treat the sick before them, they check their pulse before their wallet. You want it any other way you need to find a way to stop them coming

Comment

Bingo! Bingo! Bingo!

That is a large part of the problem(s).
                TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
                “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
                Present Current Events are the Future's History

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                  You can't employ enough doctors and nurses if you haven't trained enough doctors and nurses. You can have all the hospital porters, cleaners, maintenance staff etc etc you can shake a stick at and not have enough doctors - especially if some have gone to sunnier climes
                  Doctors and nurses aren't the sort of skilled professions one can "draft" competent persons into. And when they can go somewhere else where the pay is better and the load/pressures less ...

Then there's "Doc Martin" ...

Comment

I guess it's called common humanity - doctors treat the sick before them, they check their pulse before their wallet. You want it any other way you need to find a way to stop them coming
                    There is something criminally wrong with someone going to an ER knowing they will be seen and treated while knowing full well they have ZERO intention of paying for services rendered.

If I went to the grocery store and loaded up on groceries I need to live on and don't bother to pay I'm going to jail. I very likely could be charged with a felony.

I'd suggest the same for US ER's. You can't demonstrate a way to pay for services, they'll be rendered and you will be criminally charged for defrauding the hospital just as if you used stolen credit cards, shoplifted, or whatever.

While doctors and the medical staff might have a humanitarian need to treat you, you have a civic and moral duty to try and pay for that service fairly. You know you can't, you can rot in prison for your criminal act.

Comment

The point being is that it is such a widespread and known problem, yet nothing is done about it. Don't kid yourself about the morals of the doctors, my new friend told me that it is only done because of the law, and not because of any noble cause, because at the end of the day, if the hospital cannot get out of the red, they all lose their jobs.

The hospital already has to deal with tons of illegal aliens and the poor or uninsured legal residents and citizens. Now to my shock, I find out that we are taken advantage of by citizens of nations because we have the best health care and is stupid enough to give it away for free while punishing our own people by forcing them to absorb the cost of others.

China has socialized health care, but many of their smarter people don't trust their own doctors and go to Hong Kong. Those that can afford it fly to the US to rip us off. I don't suppose they would want to go to the UK where according to this thread, things in that socialized medicine world also sucks. Taiwan would have good health care, but hey....why pay for it if it is cheaper to buy an airplane ticket to the US where we are too stupid to collect dues? These are not stupid or poor people flying here. They apparently can afford to travel and have researched our laws.

And do you know what is the worst? A woman coming off the plan and goes to the ER just to deposit an anchor baby - yep, the Chinese doctor pointed that one out.

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

To state US healthcare costs more than Europe due to immigrants is preposterous. Europe is closer to the immigration issue, and we open our doors to all and any. If anything is true, Britains healthcare is in a worse position financially. And yet our state costs are lower per patient than the USA. Immigration is not the issue. Also remember, that the governmental report that revealed this issue was Republican.
                        Absolutely.

US healthcare is corporate and monopolistic, and about as far from capitalism as you can get without becoming the Soviet model..
                        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

To state US healthcare costs more than Europe due to immigrants is preposterous. Europe is closer to the immigration issue, and we open our doors to all and any. If anything is true, Britains healthcare is in a worse position financially. And yet our state costs are lower per patient than the USA. Immigration is not the issue. Also remember, that the governmental report that revealed this issue was Republican.Absolutely.

US healthcare is corporate and monopolistic, and about as far from capitalism as you can get without becoming the Soviet model..
                          Right. Until you absorb 21 million illegals into your heath care system and have medical tourists raiding your system, you really ought to check that attitude.

Just a year ago, most Euros was giving us a mouthful about wanting to control our borders, and now after a mere million or so friendly migrants, mighty Germany and wonderful Austria is crying. Wait until those migrants get to the UK and then let see how you cry about it. You guys laugh about some of us wanting a wall, yet make no comment about the walls built by Hungary, CR, Macedonia and so on...
                          Last edited by Salinator; 01 Mar 16, 03:24.

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

To state US healthcare costs more than Europe due to immigrants is preposterous. Europe is closer to the immigration issue, and we open our doors to all and any. If anything is true, Britains healthcare is in a worse position financially. And yet our state costs are lower per patient than the USA. Immigration is not the issue. Also remember, that the governmental report that revealed this issue was Republican.Absolutely.

Poor memory here, please cite/link this "report" you speak of.

BTW, you do grasp the concept of "no free lunch"? If health care costs aren't paid direct, then they get added to national debt passed onto the next generation. We're having some of that now in our Deficit/Debt ledgers.

Comment

Based on what I've heard from some British family friends I've been led to believe level of care isn't exactly equal or at least timely access to it isn't.
                              "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X