Are there any welders in the house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any welders in the house?

I know a young man who wants to be a welder, but he's slow to pick up new skills and takes longer to complete projects than his peers. That being said, he's a hard worker. His school is trying to tell him that he just can't be a successful welder. Does anyone have any feedback? ideas? suggestions?

It seems like a reasonable goal to me, and I hate to see someone throw him off the horse before out of the gate. On the other hand, I'd hate to support a kiddo in a career goal they'll can never be successful at.

Great job but you are sucking fumes of one sort or the other that are not healthy all day long at work.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

We have a sheet metal shop here at the factory where I work and along with welding, they cut and bend metal. He would need to grasp some basic math and read drawings so he could fit what he is welding. Good ventilation and respirators can offset the fumes.

I'd recommend looking for a welding or sheet metal shop in the area and see if he can take a tour/intro to see what the job/work entails, get a feel for that sort of environment. It's rather handy skill to have, better yet master and I wish I knew it better.

Desire goes a long way in boosting aptitude and providing incentive towards a skill/trade.
      TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
      “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
      Present Current Events are the Future's History

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
        I know a young man who wants to be a welder, but he's slow to pick up new skills and takes longer to complete projects than his peers. That being said, he's a hard worker. His school is trying to tell him that he just can't be a successful welder. Does anyone have any feedback? ideas? suggestions?

It seems like a reasonable goal to me, and I hate to see someone throw him off the horse before out of the gate. On the other hand, I'd hate to support a kiddo in a career goal they'll can never be successful at.
        I really hate people that discourage others. I would suggest taking a class in it to see if it is something that really interests him, if it does he can then work on being successful.
        My worst jump story:
        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
        No lie.

~
        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Thanks guys! This is a great start! There's a blacksmith school about 30 minutes from home. He does weekend schools at varying levels. I want to do it so bad, but don't have the funds yet. I wouldn't want to be a career welder, but I'd like tinker.

The older I get, the more tinkering appeals to me! Tinkering with woodwork, sewing, welding, or whatever sounds fun that day. How long until retirement?

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
            I really hate people that discourage others. I would suggest taking a class in it to see if it is something that really interests him, if it does he can then work on being successful.
            I'm with you. A hard-working, well-intentioned shipmate does a lot more for the Fleet than a skilled, dirtbag!

Comment

If you like woodworking a gr8 book is 'Making Authentic Shaker Furniture by John Shea'.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...aker_Furniture

Though you have to make your own cut lists, (its only drawback)...
              Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

'Round here ironworkers usually start out as laborers. When they get their union card they can receive training in crane rigging, scaffolding, OSHA safety standards, etc, etc, and various forms of welding. Right now it looks as if the entire City is being rebuilt from the foundations up, so there's plenty of demand for ironworkers here.
                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Welding is as much an art as a skill. You need to practice to be good at it. Me? I can't weld for $H!+ but I can tell you everything you want to know about every method there is for doing it as I ran a shop in the Navy for a while that did it.

For production and commercial work most is done using wire feed today (MIG welding). Arc is generally limited to specialty welding where MIG can't be used easily.
                  TIG is another specialty type. I don't see it used as much as it should be in things like auto body work and restoration. MIG is the wrong way to go there except on frames and heavier gage metal.

So, a good way to start is buy a stick box off Craig's list and start practicing. You can get one for about $100. Get some 7018 rod in say 1/8 to 3/8" and go to it. All you need is a hood and some leathers to start having fun.

Comment

Reminds me of a possible Einstein quote. Or Edison. Newton?
                    “Genius, 1% talent, 99% hard work”
                    Sounds like he is 99% of the way to genius .
                    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

He needs an entry level part time job doing job shop welding. Welding skills that actually attach two pieces of metal together are more important than speed and wasted materials. Any shop worthy of the name will test him to see what he can do. The journey begins with the first step...
                      Skip

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                        If you like woodworking a gr8 book is 'Making Authentic Shaker Furniture by John Shea'.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...aker_Furniture

Though you have to make your own cut lists, (its only drawback)...
                        Isthe tread isn't about woodworking. Quit trying to derail threads.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                          Welding is as much an art as a skill. You need to practice to be good at it. Me? I can't weld for $H!+ but I can tell you everything you want to know about every method there is for doing it as I ran a shop in the Navy for a while that did it.

For production and commercial work most is done using wire feed today (MIG welding). Arc is generally limited to specialty welding where MIG can't be used easily.
                          TIG is another specialty type. I don't see it used as much as it should be in things like auto body work and restoration. MIG is the wrong way to go there except on frames and heavier gage metal.

So, a good way to start is buy a stick box off Craig's list and start practicing. You can get one for about $100. Get some 7018 rod in say 1/8 to 3/8" and go to it. All you need is a hood and some leathers to start having fun.
                          I would guess a good pace for welders would be in a ship yard or oil platforms.

Comment

I find reasons to weld all the time and it has saved me tens of thousands of dollars to do it myself around my house. (Admittedly most of those saving are represented by wrought iron) It's a good skill to learn.
                            We hunt the hunters

Comment

I'm with you. A hard-working, well-intentioned shipmate does a lot more for the Fleet than a skilled, dirtbag!
                              Or a useless officer...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X