Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

could someone tell me what kind of ceremony it is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could someone tell me what kind of ceremony it is?

Hello boys.

While wandering on youtube ,watching tributes to Major Dick Winters , i came across this oddity.It was named "Dick funeral " and was consequently connected with Dick Winters.
    This is a burial ceremony , but some details are weird for me , for example ,the coffin ,how it is made and where this poor guy is buried.
    Watch it ,if you want to ,and tell me if this is a common practice in the States ,or if you never seen this.
    I mean ,it's freaking strange.!

That rug really tied the room together

That's how we do.
    My worst jump story:
    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
    No lie.

~
    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

My question was :is it a ceremony from a particular church ?

Comment

Seb, looks to me like a real nice NONCOMMERCIAL funeral. A group of friends burying one of their own. No pomp, circumstance, frills or folderol. Everyone seems to have had a part to play and it shows as a real celebration of their love for this man who has passed into a new existence. Would that we could all be remembered this way when we go.
        RIP Dick Winter
        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Thanks Jose.
          I have the same feeling.
          If my reaction may be surprising,it's because it is impossible to bury someone here,like they do in the vid.
          A really moving moment indeed.

Comment

My Aunt and her husband. Her husband died about 3 years ago. He had been in the navy in WW2 and had taken part in a couple of landings in the pacific on a landing craft. He had a lifelong respect for Marines,having seen what they had went through on a naked beach. When he died my aunt had him cremated. The family took him out to sea off the coast of florida and scattered his ashes.
            Last march his wife, my aunt passed away.She also was cremated and my mother also went with other family members on a rented boat to put her to rest in the same general area her husband had been. Her granddaughter had made a paper mache sailboat to put her ashes in.My mother said they put it into the water and watched as it sailed away from them. She said they watched for about 45 minutes and she never sank......just circled one way then the other as if looking for her husband. They left finally,my mother says she likes to think she is still sailing around there looking for her partner..... Arthur.

Comment

Here there are restrictions on where you bury someone, but provided you go through all the legal hoops it is often possible to do it on your own land subject to various safeguards about where that is in regard to proximity to certain things. However there is a duty to record the presence of the body in the deeds of the property (saves the police being called when a new owner turns up a skull) and it can damage the prospects of selling the property. Many are surprised to find that provided those who control the burial site are happy there are very few restrictions on how, 'Green' funerals with simple biodegradable coffins are becoming more popular. These can be made of reclaimed wood, wicker or even recycled cardboard. It is not mandatory to employ a mortician or funeral director and a funeral like the one in the vid would be possible.

There are increasing restrictions on what you are allowed to do with ashes. Recently someone who wanted to have his fired from a cannon over his home town had his last wishes thwarted by the authorities mainly on the grounds that it was consiered that the inhabitants might not want to be sprinkled with old Fred so to speak.
              Last edited by MarkV; 27 Jan 16, 10:01.
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                Thanks Jose.
                I have the same feeling.
                If my reaction may be surprising,it's because it is impossible to bury someone here,like they do in the vid.
                A really moving moment indeed.
                Depends on the county that you live in, most probably require a concrete grave liner. I have heard that in some counties you can't even bury a dead farm animal, I'm sure farmers do it anyway. Get turned in by a dick neighbor and you will pay a heavy fine. Knew a dick that tried to turn his neighbor in for burying his horse after it died, the county laughed at the dick when they found out that it had happen two years prior.
                My worst jump story:
                My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                No lie.

~
                "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                  Depends on the county that you live in, most probably require a concrete grave liner. I have heard that in some counties you can't even bury a dead farm animal, I'm sure farmers do it anyway. Get turned in by a dick neighbor and you will pay a heavy fine. Knew a dick that tried to turn his neighbor in for burying his horse after it died, the county laughed at the dick when they found out that it had happen two years prior.
                  According to the Pennsylvania Domestic Animal Act you have to bury it within 48 hours don't know if this is a general case in other states. Here you cannot bury a farm animal, it has to be rendered. This was apparently introduced because some dick headed US owned mass producer of chicken products was burying salmonella infected dead broiler chickens on a large scale and causing significant water pollution problems. However now we are having problems with bovine TB (probably spread by badgers) I suspect that many farmers would be pi**ed off if their neighbour was disposing of dead cattle by burying them as Pasteur proved many years ago this can linger in the soil and be passed on to other animals.
                  Last edited by MarkV; 27 Jan 16, 10:39.
                  Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                    According to the Pennsylvania Domestic Animal Act you have to bury it within 48 hours don't know if this is a general case in other states. Here you cannot bury a farm animal, it has to be rendered. This was apparently introduced because some dick headed US owned mass producer of chicken products was burying salmonella infected dead broiler chickens on a large scale and causing significant water pollution problems. However now we are having problems with bovine TB (probably spread by badgers) I suspect that many farmers would be pi**ed off if their neighbour was disposing of dead cattle by burying them as Pasteur proved many years ago this can linger in the soil and be passed on to other animals.
                    Yes.........its much better they are rendered......gives McDonalds a lot of cheap meat.....

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
                      Yes.........its much better they are rendered......gives McDonalds a lot of cheap meat.....
                      You obviously don't know what rendering is - its boiling down the carcase into fats etc which in these cases are a sterile and b easily disposed of. Can be used in some industrial processes.

Comment

Looks like an old fashioned "pine box" funeral to me. That's a sort of frontier / old American tradition dating back to the 19th Century.

Comment

Thank you for the enlightenment.
                          This coffin ,I had only seen examples in the pictures of the 19th century ,so that's why I needed your pov.

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                            Thank you for the enlightenment.
                            This coffin ,I had only seen examples in the pictures of the 19th century ,so that's why I needed your pov.
                            You're welcome. You can return the favor when something on Joan of Arc comes up...

Oh, my great grandfather on my mother's side had his body dug up because he was buried in his front yard...

http://www.cemetery.state.tx.us/pub/...sp?pers_id=107

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                              You're welcome. You can return the favor when something on Joan of Arc comes up...

Oh, my great grandfather on my mother's side had his body dug up because he was buried in his front yard...

http://www.cemetery.state.tx.us/pub/...sp?pers_id=107
                              I suspect that unless you come from a very spooky family some one else had your great grandfather's body dug up

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X