End of the queen of the 4x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of the queen of the 4x4

Sad news http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35285258. I have happy memories of riding around in an old series 1 in my student days (and less happy mempries of having to push start it).
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Many candidates for such a title. This is the best one I ever drove:

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Many candidates for such a title. This is the best one I ever drove:

If you had to put chains on the wheels can't have been up to much
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Looks like an older 3/4 ton. It was the best military 4x4 that I drove. Went places that left the 151 spinning in the mud or grass.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

It's the Dodge 3/4 ton power wagon that saw tremendous service through WWII, Korea and clear into the 80's, and ended up in civilian service all over America, wherever there were former GI's.

Those things will go anywhere and do anything, they're easy to maintain, and with a winch on the front bumper they're unstoppable.

I keep wanting to get my hands on one for driving the old railroad grades and mining roads here in the Rockies, places I wouldn't take our jeep CJ because it rolls too easily.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
            Sad news http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35285258. I have happy memories of riding around in an old series 1 in my student days (and less happy mempries of having to push start it).
            I saw this, sad news indeed.
            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              It's the Dodge 3/4 ton power wagon that saw tremendous service through WWII, Korea and clear into the 80's, and ended up in civilian service all over America, wherever there were former GI's.

Those things will go anywhere and do anything, they're easy to maintain, and with a winch on the front bumper they're unstoppable.

I keep wanting to get my hands on one for driving the old railroad grades and mining roads here in the Rockies, places I wouldn't take our jeep CJ because it rolls too easily.

There just happens to be one for sale in the Sacramento area.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5359707241.html

It looks in good condition and it runs great.

Comment

Gix, sounds like you need cheering up, ...

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                I saw this, sad news indeed.
                ... figured this just might come in handy in your neighborhood about now :

"I am Groot"
                - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post
                  ... figured this just might come in handy in your neighborhood about now :

Very nice, but not necessary......see avatar.....

I burned up a half a tank of gas just playing in the snow Saturday afternoon.
                  ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

But this isn't about Jeep or Dodge. It's about the Defender, a true offroad icon.

All that'll be left in its category will be the Wrangler. That sucks. The category needs more options. I'd love to see the Defender go on, I'd love to see Ford come out with a Bronco similar to the original one.
                    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

I really was ...

Very nice, but not necessary......see avatar.....

I burned up a half a tank of gas just playing in the snow Saturday afternoon.
                      ... thinking your Jeep avatar, the vehicle in the photo is a Willys-Overland Jeep Truck, a 40's-50's contemporary of the Dodge WC's, M37's, Powerwagons etc. and part of the Jeep lineage; and it's dressed for snow, to boot.
                      "I am Groot"
                      - Groot

Comment

The Land Rovers made in Turkey are total junk in my opinion.
                        My worst jump story:
                        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                        No lie.

~
                        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                          The Land Rovers made in Turkey are total junk in my opinion.

Land Rovers are very expensive here in the states. In the UK, it's more expensive to buy a Ford Explorer than a Rover.

Comment

But this isn't about Jeep or Dodge. It's about the Defender, a true offroad icon.

All that'll be left in its category will be the Wrangler. That sucks. The category needs more options. I'd love to see the Defender go on, I'd love to see Ford come out with a Bronco similar to the original one.
                            Gix there are other very good 4x4's on the market, just that they are made in Asia or Russia. When was the last time a Land Rover or Jeep entered the Paris Dakar Race or won?
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                              Gix there are other very good 4x4's on the market, just that they are made in Asia or Russia. When was the last time a Land Rover or Jeep entered the Paris Dakar Race or won?
                              There's so many great Toyotas and Nissans that aren't available here. Very jealous.

And I'll pass on the Russian garbage.

But I'm talking about the class occupied by vehicles like the Wrangler, Defender, early 70's Bronco, Suzuki Samurai.... Not many left.

American factories are less involved with Dakar. If you want to see a competition that Jeeps dominates, google King of Hammers.
                              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X