No announcement yet.

A must-see for all History aficionados.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A must-see for all History aficionados.

Interactive Martin Luther King speech with commentary.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/int...in-luther-king
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

I saw it the first time.

Wasn't impressed then. Still not impressed now.

Speeches aren't history, they're entertainment at best.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
      I saw it the first time.

Wasn't impressed then. Still not impressed now.

Speeches aren't history, they're entertainment at best.
      Some things are more important than the person. Martin Luther King the person? Meh. Bit like Obama really.

MLK and BO being important for what they really represent? I personally consider it important. Breaking down barriers is important imho. The US population may be far more intelligent than some here give them credit for.
      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
        Some things are more important than the person. Martin Luther King the person? Meh. Bit like Obama really.

MLK and BO being important for what they really represent? I personally consider it important. Breaking down barriers is important imho. The US population may be far more intelligent than some here give them credit for.
        I disagree.

Obama didn't break down any barriers, he was just a shill for a Democrat faction who exploited the novelty of his ethnic background for a political win.

If anything, he reduced the opportunities for blacks because he removed one of the last 'firsts' left undone without doing a thing to help the black community. The destruction of the black family unit continued unabated on his watch; the imprisonment of black youth increased on his watch; crime against black markedly increased, in increasing, and shows no abatement in the future. Take a good look at the spiking crime areas: its not middle class people getting stuffed into body bags. The police are not abandoning the 'burbs. He makes it easier for people to ignore the plight of the inner city because if Bobo could be President, then obviously everything is just peachy.

As to MLK, he advocated non-violence, but what did he accomplish other than a quasi-martyrdom? His kids are dirtbags, and black people as a whole are much worse off today than they were in his day. In 1950 the strongest social unit in the USA was the black family; the strongest political unit in the USA was the black neighborhood community (followed second by the Chinese neighborhood community). Today the black family unit has been gutted; more black children are born to broken homes than whole, and the number keeps growing. The black neighborhood is gone. In terms of education, incarceration, and criminal victimization, things are far worse than they were in MLK's time, and they are on a downward spiral.

So no, the barriers broken down were what people will accept. And what the US voters will accept is blacks being decimated by crime, addiction, poverty, incarceration, and failed education systems.

A black guy I work with said it best: in the 60s we were worth hating. Today, we don't matter enough to even be noticed.

You judge a man by his efforts. MLK was an utter failure. He led his people to ruin.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X