Gigs and Data Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigs and Data Plans

I have an aging Apple G4 laptop that has soldiered on and outlived the last eight(?) Microsoft based PCs that I have owned. It actually even came back to life once all by itself. It can still keep up in speed except that it had not been supported for years now and it won't work on more and more sites. It is time to start looking into putting her into semi-retirement.

I use a PC card to get online. Laptops no longer come with PC card slots. What I need if I change laptops is a Hot Spot device. Only thing is that I cannot do so and keep my data plan at the same time.

My current plan is unlimited, and according to Verizon, it has not been offered since 2008. According to them, there had been other unlimited plans, but it wasn't really unlimited because it the fine print, there was an actual stated limit, whatever that means.

According to Verizon,, data usage per month averages and 20 gigs(?). I'm not tech savvy so be kind. My old unlimited plan was $70 and came out to be about $87 after all the mystery fees. The biggest plan they have for the Hot Spot device is 18 gigs. Does $120 before the mystery fees for 18 gigs seem fair?

How much is one gig in the real world? Is 20 gigs a high monthly sum? What can one gig do? If I spend 8 hours a day on ACG, how much gig usage versus say streaming a movie?
    Last edited by Salinator; 11 Jan 16, 21:27.
    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
    I have an aging Apple G4 laptop that has soldiered on and outlived the last eight(?) Microsoft based PCs that I have owned. It actually even came back to life once all by itself. It can still keep up in speed except that it had not been supported for years now and it won't work on more and more sites. It is time to looking into putting her into semi-retirement.

I use a PC card to get online. Laptops no longer come with PC card slots. What I need if I change laptops is a Hot Spot device. Only thing is that I cannot do so and keep my data plan at the same time.

My current plan is unlimited, and according to Verizon, it has not been offered since 2008. According to them, ther had been other unlimited plans, but it wasn't really unlimited because it the fine print, there was an actual stated limit, whatever that means.

According to Verizon,, data usage per month averages and 20 gigs(?). I'm not tech savvy so be kind. My old unlimited plan was $70 and came out to be about $87 after all the mystery fees. The biggest plan they have for the Hot Spot device is 18 gigs. Does $120 before the mystery fees for 18 gigs seem fair?

How much is one gig in the real world? Is 20 gigs a high monthly sum? One can one gig do? If I spend 8 hours a day on ACG, how much gig usage versus say streaming a movie?
    Now I'm not a techie but I stream all the time and it doesn't come up on the bill. I think the big difference is downloading stuff. (I could be wrong but looking at the bill they don't charge me squat for streaming...)

Verizon is the spawn from hell btw. I wouldn't do business with them if they offered me free service. (I had a cell phone with them and they charged me for incoming telemarketers spam...)
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

I'm just a Canadian, and we pay a premium for data, but $120 for 18GB seems not too bad.

Video streaming (constantly) would equal about 1000MB ( 1GB) an hour approximately
      Data streaming (on ACG, constantly) would equal 40-100MB an hour approximately.
      BoRG
      "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

For comparative purposes...

Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
        I'm just a Canadian, and we pay a premium for data, but $120 for 18GB seems not too bad.

Video streaming (constantly) would equal about 1000MB ( 1GB) an hour approximately
        Our Bell/Sympatico internet bill for the month of December was $105 all in, for unlimited usage, and speeds of up to 6 Mbps. We used 204.05 GB in that period. We're moving in 3 weeks, with Xplornet I can get 500 GB for $99.99, top end.
        "I am Groot"
        - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by Arthwys View Post

Originally posted by Marmat View Post
          Our Bell/Sympatico internet bill for the month of December was $105 all in, for unlimited usage, and speeds of up to 6 Mbps. We used 204.05 GB in that period. We're moving in 3 weeks, with Xplornet I can get 500 GB for $99.99, top end.
          I assume the difference is mobile versus fixed position.

I see young people on their mobile devices non-stop. Either they got a better plan than I do or I am much poorer.
          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Dude you've been being ripped off... Not much poorer than some kid.

I told you version is a total rip off. And I meant it.
            Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Ripoff for sure. Should be like 20 bucks for unlimited...
              Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                Now I'm not a techie but I stream all the time and it doesn't come up on the bill. I think the big difference is downloading stuff. (I could be wrong but looking at the bill they don't charge me squat for streaming...)

Verizon is the spawn from hell btw. I wouldn't do business with them if they offered me free service. (I had a cell phone with them and they charged me for incoming telemarketers spam...)
                basic unit = 1 bit
                8 bits equals 1 byte
                1 bit = one letter or character
                1000 bits = 1000 letters = = 1 kilobyte
                1000 kb = 1 megabyte = 1 million letters o/c
                1000 megs = 1 gigabyte = 1 billion letters o/c

My hard drive routinely handles four terabytes of data. That's 4000 gigabytes or 4 trillion letters/characters.

The average number of words per book has been figured to be around 64,000. The average number of letters per word in English is about 5.

http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/calculate/

We've got VisionQuest service out here and it's excellent, but when the number of users goes up during peak service, the data rate decreases as function of available bandwidth and it takes a second or so longer for some sites to load.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X