Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to be allergic to some books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to be allergic to some books?

Yeah, I know I'm setting myself up for a one liner with that one. But I am being serious. I purchased a book a few days ago and it seems to be a book that hates me. The pages have an odd sour odor and anytime I get a whiff of it my sinuses go nuts. Even if I hold the book at a distance if the breeze from turning the pages gets to my nose, swelling and blockage. The pages are glossy and in good shape, nothing appears to have been spilled on them, but for some unearthly reason my sinuses revolt anytime I get near it. Any ideas/possible remedies?
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Old fashioned parchment, made from sheepskins and the like, attracted certain insects, whose droppings can promote allergic reactions. Modern adhesives, as used in bindings, can also cause similar symptoms.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Mildew and or/mold from being stored in damp climes.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

If there's an obvious smell you need to return it. Now.
        Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
        Hyperwar, Whats New
        World War II Resources
        The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

This is probably TMI, but growing up with 6 people in a small house, the only place to read quietly was on the toilet. Today, within 5 minutes of walking into the local B&N, it's time for a BM.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
            This is probably TMI, but growing up with 6 people in a small house, the only place to read quietly was on the toilet. Today, within 5 minutes of walking into the local B&N, it's time for a BM.
            Thank you, George.

Comment

I take it that it is used. If new you could return it, if used and this depends on what happened to the book. You could air it out, put it in the trunk of your car for a week or two and that may do the trick.
              My worst jump story:
              My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
              As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
              No lie.

~
              "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Bought it used from the library for a quarter so it's no big deal. The kicker is it really doesn't seem like something spilled on the paper. The pages are glossy and in perfect shape with no stains and the smell comes from all the pages. Had me wondering if it was the ink or something.
                A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                  Yeah, I know I'm setting myself up for a one liner with that one. But I am being serious. I purchased a book a few days ago and it seems to be a book that hates me. The pages have an odd sour odor and anytime I get a whiff of it my sinuses go nuts. Even if I hold the book at a distance if the breeze from turning the pages gets to my nose, swelling and blockage. The pages are glossy and in good shape, nothing appears to have been spilled on them, but for some unearthly reason my sinuses revolt anytime I get near it. Any ideas/possible remedies?
                  Short answer: yes.

Cause: mold and spores that grow in books not properly stored; i.e., dampness or areas with mold and spores, which transfer readily to the books.

One remedy: microwave it. Radiation improves life.

Second remedy: leave it outside in the sunshine every chance you get, and make sure the book is open so the UV can reach the binding.

For yourself: Benadryl (dipohenhydramine hcl), 25 to 50 mg as needed. Warning: makes some people drowsy.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                    TMI: Too Much Information.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Quit linking your fingers when you turn the page.
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

^ he can do worse: he can lick his balls.

Comment

I have an ozone generator to handle that problem
                          We hunt the hunters

Comment

Yes it is... Sort of. I you have a book like you describe, kind of musty maybe smells mildewed, it could have mold growing on it. I've gotten books like that from sales and even DRMO (when they closed Williams AFB here in Phoenix for example). If the book got damp it can have black mold growing on it and it is possible you can't really see it.

What you can do is first wipe each page off thoroughly. Wear a dust mask at a minimum doing this. Then you can hard freeze the book to kill any remaining mold.
                            If mold is visible you can try using isopropyl alcohol to wipe it off too. Be careful doing that as it is a liquid and can potentially mess the paper up.
                            Vacuuming the pages can help too.

Comment

Lung infections from mould spores used to be an occupational disease for 2nd hand book dealers. In extreme cases it could be fatal. Inks have been known to create reactions but very rare. To be honest I'd ditch the book and buy another coipy from an internet book dealer. Mind you books by certain authors have been known to produce extreme reactions in myself
                              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X