Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy Scout leader attacked by bear

A couple things stand out for me......

Where was the 'second' adult? For all Boy Scout activities there has to be a second adult present.

The other thing that stands out is that while the Scouts used a cell phone to get help....the help took several hours to arrive. It sounds like the Scouts had no idea where they were because the first responders had to use their cell phone to find them.

No Boy Scouts were injured in the incident, which occurred at Splitrock Reservoir, about 25 miles west of New York City, but officials said that three Scouts ranging from 12 to 14 years old were hiking with Petronino at the time. None of them, however, followed him down into the cave.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/21/us/bea...sey/index.html
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

When my son was 14 he was asked about joining the Boy Scouts. I not only told them no but hell no. Idiocy such as this was only one reason why.

Comment

They should feed all Boy scouts to the bears... pervy little bastards obsessed with wiggling their woggles.
      The long toll of the brave
      Is not lost in darkness
      Over the fruitful earth
      And athwart the seas
      Hath passed the light of noble deeds
      Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
        They should feed all Boy scouts to the bears... pervy little bastards obsessed with wiggling their woggles.
        Better than sniggling their snoggels.

Comment

The scout troop I belonged with was partly from the wrong side of the tracks (except it was the wrong side of the canal) and I suspect that if we'd met up with a bear we'd have been living off bear steak for weeks - those of us from the posh bank would have ended up cooking it. I've eaten bear in Northern Finland and it can be delicious but I don't think ours would have been. There aren't any bears where I lived although some Cheshire farmers could do a fair impression. If the claw has been on the other paw and one had got our scout master I suspect it would have died quite quickly from an excess of the wrong kind of fat and alcoholic poisoning.
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

My eldest boy is already in the Scouting movement. My other two will also be joining him as soon as they are old enough.

The Scouts are generally awesome, and with far less perves than any religious group I know of.

Also, we don't get bears in Wales afaik. Except in zoos or similar.
            How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
            Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Hmm. I guess they weren't prepared
              Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                The Scouts are generally awesome, and with far less perves than any religious group I know of.
                By Welsh standards of course.

we don't get bears in Wales afaik. Except in zoos or similar.
                On the rugby pitch perhaps?
                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Thomas Hamilton was a Scout Leader... nuff said.
                  The long toll of the brave
                  Is not lost in darkness
                  Over the fruitful earth
                  And athwart the seas
                  Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                  Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Several things strike me as so stupid the guy deserved to be served up as dinner.

One, The I'm gonna climb down into a bear cave.

Two, I'm gonna do it with a pick as a primary weapon.

Three I'm gonna lead a bunch of kids to a bear cave, climb down into it, attempt to find a bear without a serious gun, ect...

This guy shouldn't lead any people anywhere...
                    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

But, the burning question is... Was / is the bear a homophobe?

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                        Hmm. I guess they weren't prepared
                        They sure weren't prepared and it began with the Scout Master. There is no situation where a single adult is allowed to be with Scouts:

http://www.scouting.org/Training/YouthProtection.aspx

It also appears that the Troop isn't 'Scout Lead.'
                        "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                          They sure weren't prepared and it began with the Scout Master. There is no situation where a single adult is allowed to be with Scouts:
                          d.'
                          Gosh how things have changed over the decades. We trusted our scout leaders and from a personal viewpoint know of no occasion where that trust was betrayed.
                          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

I'm on the bear's side on this. A stranger who comes in to where I'm sleeping will rue the day.
                            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                              I'm on the bear's side on this. A stranger who comes in to where I'm sleeping will rue the day.
                              He should be happy it wasn't this bear:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X