Dopplegangers ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dopplegangers ...

Now this is weird. One from Sweden, the other from Ireland, but sure look like twins. Can genetics only be shuffled so much ?
    http://www.coasttocoastam.com/pages/...duo-discovered
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
    Present Current Events are the Future's History

Given the size of the human population and the number of permutations possible the chance of doubles is far from infinite. Back in the 70s I was presenting a report to an audience from MOD, RE and REME. Some members were convinced I'd already given them a report on an entirely different subject. About a year later I was giving evidence to a House of Commons Committee - same effect. Talking to colleagues it became likely that I had a double working in much the same areas of consultancy as I was. Given that I had been PV'd for my position any doppelgänger doing the same sort of work would also have been security cleared and poking around trying to find him would possibly not have been career enhancing. However I did spot him when I was in a cab going through Whitehall - it was rather disturbing -even the same style beard. I lost him when my work shifted away from government work (mainly) and out to the oil fields etc of the world but he may still be out there somewhere. I do hope that when I die they'll come and bury him.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      Given the size of the human population and the number of permutations possible the chance of doubles is far from infinite. Back in the 70s I was presenting a report to an audience from MOD, RE and REME. Some members were convinced I'd already given them a report on an entirely different subject. About a year later I was giving evidence to a House of Commons Committee - same effect. Talking to colleagues it became likely that I had a double working in much the same areas of consultancy as I was. Given that I had been PV'd for my position any doppelgänger doing the same sort of work would also have been security cleared and poking around trying to find him would possibly not have been career enhancing. However I did spot him when I was in a cab going through Whitehall - it was rather disturbing -even the same style beard. I lost him when my work shifted away from government work (mainly) and out to the oil fields etc of the world but he may still be out there somewhere. I do hope that when I die they'll come and bury him.
      Fascinating - eh?

I've had a few times when people thought I was someone else they knew. Most flattering has been when they thought I was Harrison Ford.
      TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
      “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
      Present Current Events are the Future's History

Comment

I suspect that it's not that uncommon but we only got to hear of examples when someone well known was involved (such as Montgomery) but today's trade in celebrity lookalikes shows that it does happen. With the modern narcissistic trend of taking selfies etc and posting them all over the web many many more will show up with increasingly tedious regularity.
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X