Contacting FireFox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contacting FireFox

Firefox updated itself to a new format and wiped out 2.5 pages of bookmarks collected over years.

Does anyone know a way to get in contact with Firefox? All of their links work in a closed loop to prevent actual customer contact.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Sounds more like you've collected a virus. I use firefox and no such update has happened to me...Malware bytes is a good cure... And free.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Firefox updated itself to a new format and wiped out 2.5 pages of bookmarks collected over years.

Does anyone know a way to get in contact with Firefox? All of their links work in a closed loop to prevent actual customer contact.
      One reason I don't use the browser. (One other is because it used to have a rep for being hit by malware). I'd second using Malwarebytes it gets most things that ordinary VCs don't catch but it won't get your bookmarks back if they've really been wiped - however some malware merely conceals things liked bookmarks as that's easier to do than getting through some browser protection I use Opera which has a plug in called Malwarebytes Antiexploit. One day some months ago I got hit by something concealed in an e mail and got a similar effect. However it turned out that what it did was not to attack Opera directly but loaded a startup app that put a skin between the browser and my desktop so although it was running unaffected I wasn't seeing it directly. Once I detected and chopped the start up all was fine.
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Don't suppose you have a smartphone with Google synced up to your PC? If so, that sync option could mess things up or fix things. Or if you used something like CCleaner and nuked stuff, that could do it too. In any case, there is a backup option that if properly enabled lets Firefox keeps copies of the bookmarks.

Have you tried the Bookmarks dropdown from the menu bar? Click :

Bookmarks > Show all Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Restore >

A list should popup sorted by date; you select the one you want, Firefox will ask you to verify that you want to replace current bookmarks (presumably you don't have any left for some reason) and it should bring them back for you.

Comment

The bookmarks are usually saved in backup files, or separate files that can be restored...so don't do anything rash like deleting or adding anything at all before you are sure the bookmarks are really gone.

EDIT:
          https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...sing-bookmarks
          https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1042283

Firefox is a free product, and no one offers customer support for a free product. So there is no way for you to contact them.

EDIT2:
          Boomer actually posted the solution, most likely that will fix it.
          Wisdom is personal

Comment

I will point out that there is no update for firefox. This was a viral attack.

I use firefox so I'd know if there was a update.
            Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
              Sounds more like you've collected a virus. I use firefox and no such update has happened to me...Malware bytes is a good cure... And free.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
              Not a virus. Loads a Mozilla home page congratulating me on the new upgrades and listing all of the help links to Mozilla, all of which eventually come back around to the starting page. This is quite common with all browser providers who do not actually want to be told about problems that might result in major lawsuits, like this one.

I've tried Malware and fond it not be a good as Kaspersky.

Comment

I will point out that there is no update for firefox. This was a viral attack.

I use firefox so I'd know if there was a update.
                You pointed that out already, and Firefox says otherwise. In any event, no address listed for Mozilla or Firefox leads to an actual customer service site, and if it's really a "virus", using their trademarks and home pages, they need to know about it, right?

Appreciate your advice, and your confirmation that you do not have a working help website address for Mozilla either.

Comment

Here's the contact page.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...munity-support

Do with it as you will.
                  Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

Not a virus. Loads a Mozilla home page congratulating me on the new upgrades and listing all of the help links to Mozilla, all of which eventually come back around to the starting page. This is quite common with all browser providers who do not actually want to be told about problems that might result in major lawsuits, like this one.

Proves zilch if something is putting up a false Firefox skin it could just as easily be putting up a false Mozilla home page. I've generally found Kapersky Krapersky in such instances.
                    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

It's unlikely they are totally gone. Search your computer very thoroughly. Good luck!
                      We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by boomer400 View Post
                        Don't suppose you have a smartphone with Google synced up to your PC? If so, that sync option could mess things up or fix things. Or if you used something like CCleaner and nuked stuff, that could do it too. In any case, there is a backup option that if properly enabled lets Firefox keeps copies of the bookmarks.

Have you tried the Bookmarks dropdown from the menu bar? Click :

Bookmarks > Show all Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Restore >

A list should popup sorted by date; you select the one you want, Firefox will ask you to verify that you want to replace current bookmarks (presumably you don't have any left for some reason) and it should bring them back for you.
                        No list shows up. It asks if I want to import HTML, and then asks for the specific html addresses.

I also imported the entire Old Date file that the upgrade created back into the new version of Firefox, and nothing happened then, either.

I also restored my entire system to a point before the update, but it didn't restore my bookmarks, or my cookies or passwords.
                        Last edited by Mountain Man; 04 Dec 15, 09:44.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                          It's unlikely they are totally gone. Search your computer very thoroughly. Good luck!
                          What do you think I have been doing?

Comment

Here's the contact page.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...munity-support

Do with it as you will.

Read this very carefully, Bwaha:

I have been there, and it takes one on a circuitous path that always leads back to the start page without placing one in contact in any way with Mozilla/Firefox.

The "Ask This" button does not work.

Why do you think I;m asking about contact info, and why not just asmit that you don't know either?

Comment

Works fine for me.

Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X