Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first US casualties in the ETO

Hello les amis!

I was born in Dieppe ,and you all know the history of the infamous 19 of August 1942's landing there .
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieppe_Raid

I was back there on last Saturday ,under a stormy sky and a strong wind.
    I realised that i had never seen before this memorial to the US Rangers killed that day.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Ra...ited_States%29

So i copy you some pics i did.The memorial,and the place they landed on ,and "my" sea on that very location.
    Respect to these guys.

I post it in the barracks cause last time i did a pictural report (more than 30 pics taken on Omaha beach, in the WW2 forum) , i had only a couple of replies ,and i have to admit that my ego was upset.
    So feel free to move it .
    Attached Files
    That rug really tied the room together

The plaque is completely correct but they were not the first to die in Europe during WW2
    Captain Robert Moffat Losey (May 27, 1908 – April 21, 1940), was serving as a military attaché to the American embassy and killed on April 21, 1940 during a German bombardment whilst attempting the evacuation of the American diplomatic legation to Sweden.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      The plaque is completely correct but they were not the first to die in Europe during WW2
      Captain Robert Moffat Losey (May 27, 1908 – April 21, 1940), was serving as a military attaché to the American embassy and killed on April 21, 1940 during a German bombardment whilst attempting the evacuation of the American diplomatic legation to Sweden.
      What country, please.
      Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
      Hyperwar, Whats New
      World War II Resources
      The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Norway obviously
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Merci mon ami

Thanks Seb for posting those photos. The beach reminds me of my own North Beach here on the short seacoast of New Hampshire. We also get our share of gray, stormy days. Merci aussi to the French people for remembering our fallen soldiers with such a strong memorial.
          ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
          IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Mark ,thank you for the details regarding Cpt Losey,very enlightening.
            Jose ,thanks for da kind words but I believe that the memorial is a US initiative,I mean,it's so specific that I would be amazed if it was done by locals.
            That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Good pictures, Seb. Looking at those cliffs and the seawall, it's hard to imagine that anyone actually thought that was a god place to stage an amphibious landing.

Brave men, all of them.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Thanks for the pics Seb.
                My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X