Grandson Of Enola Gay Pilot Takes Command Of B-2 Bomber Wing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandson Of Enola Gay Pilot Takes Command Of B-2 Bomber Wing

A grandson and namesake of the man who piloted the B-29 that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan, during World War II took over leadership Friday of the United States' aging fleet of nuclear-capable B-2 stealth bombers.
    Brig. Gen. Paul W. Tibbets IV took command of the 509th Bomb Wing during a ceremony at Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri, replacing Brig. Gen. Glen VanHerck, who has led the wing since February 2014.
    Tibbets' grandfather, Paul W. Tibbets Jr., was assigned to a predecessor of the 509th Bomb Wing when he piloted the Enola Gay in the world's first atomic bomb mission on Aug. 6, 1945. The bomb destroyed much of Hiroshima and killed tens of thousands of its citizens. Paul W. Tibbets Jr. died in 2007.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...b-2-bomb-wing/
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

It's nice to see that nuking the planet has stayed in the family...

Comment

Tibbetts dropped a single nuclear weapon following the direct orders of the president of the United States.

No one "nuked the planet", but if you're feeling particularly bitter about something, how about the Bataan Death March, conducted by the Japanese?
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

He was being sarcastic.

I think.

And the bomb landed on one planet, this planet. So, yes, this planet was bombed. Good thing too, saved lots of lives.
        The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

I was not being sarcastic, I was being flippant.

Flippant

[ ˈflipənt ]
          ADJECTIVE

Not showing a serious or respectful attitude:

"a flippant remark"

synonyms: frivolous facetious tongue-in-cheek disrespectful
          Now, I'm being sarcastic...

Comment

Five post in and the thread has been poisoned. WTF.

Comment

The second "bomb" was dropped by an aircraft nicknamed "Bock's Car", normal commander, Fred Bock. I had an uncle named Fred Bock whom served in the USAAF during WWII, but he served in the CBI, 14th Air Force.

Still ...

Germany invades Poland, Sept. 1, 1939 and German Army Group Center is commanded by Field Marshall von Bock.

Last major action of WWII, atomic bombing of Nagasaki, done by "Bock's Car" aircraft.

Seems my family name has been drug into the start of WWII and the finish of WWII ...

Comment

Bravo Zulu BGen Tibbets. I hope that you will bring uninterrupted leadership and efficiency to the 509th.
                ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X