Were's the Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were's the Oil?

Damm us Americans. We are going to send troops to a country with not oil reserves(Liberia), WTF? All our Euro friends have told us it's the only reason we go to war..........Who knows maybe this times its all about us cornering that diamond market for our newlyweds or something.............
    "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Yes this completely negates the whole oil argument completely.

"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

– Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeJ
      Yes this completely negates the whole oil argument completely.

Or so it would appear to 2 dimentional thinkers... which is no doubt why they're doing it

But anyway, whatever the reasons, well done USA for at least attempting to show some altruism.

By the way, most other 1st world countries have been carrying out humanitarian operations like this for decades...

Comment

Originally posted by Daw
        By the way, most other 1st world countries have been carrying out humanitarian operations like this for decades...
        Most countries undertake humanitarian operations because it's in their best interest. Be it gaining some kind of influence, or stopping the war before it crosses their borders, humanitarian operations more often than not are motivated by less compassionate causes.

The only reason I give some support to a possible operation in Liberia is because Charles Taylor is likely going to step down, improving the possibility for a settlement. If I'm not mistaken, the factions have agreed to ceasefire if the US sends troops, and Taylor is removed from power.

Yet, this doesn't mean the US should fly right in. Taylor might be the instigator, but Liberians have alot of frustration that is being expressed in bullets. It's economy is in a sham, and will likely remain so for some years to come. There are also social and political considerations revolving around the civil war that will likely not disappear when Taylor steps down and the US moves in. Americans should not be fooled by cheering crowds. This is a dangerous situation for our troops with all the ingredients for disaster.

The US should move with extreme caution in Liberia. We should not be motivated by global popular opinion. We are not responsible for Liberia. And if Britian and France want to argue that point, I would be more than willing to see them explain it in the UN without putting their own feet in their mouths.

While going into Liberia feels like the right thing to do, that doesn't mean it is right. The US must protect her interest by not committing its resources to enforce a peace that doesn't exists. The warring factions in Liberia must decide to accept peace no matter the consequences. And we should establish a timetable and stick to it. It shouldn't take us long to determine if the people are committed to peace, even in the wake of an uncertain economic and political future. If all that is needed are American troops to keep the peace long enough for the country to get on it's feet, that's find. However, we shouldn't be foolish and commit ourselves to open-ended efforts with no achievable endstate.
        "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

I agree. The mission should be short (6 months or less) and allow the factions time to come to an agreement. However the force is there to provide a short-term security buffer, not rebuild the country.
          "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

We are going to Liberia because we are under orders from the French. We are in Iraq because of orders from the English. No, not those English.
            Get the US out of NATO, now!

Comment

Oh...I thought you meant salad oil. Now, the petroleum stuff, yeah, that's why he's interested...
              http://www.msnbc.com/news/934126.asp

Follow the money...
              I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Then again, why worry about "black gold" when the yellow variety always retains its lustre in times of trouble? And troubled times these are...
                http://www.globalwitness.org/campaig.../Robertson.pdf
                http://www.theperspective.org/patrobertson_taylor.html
                http://www.atheists.org/flash.line/roberts5.htm
                And finally, to maintain some "balance" ...
                http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2002/002/14.18.html

Incidentally, it is a bizarre coincidence that one of the principals in this tragedy shares my name. Honest...it isn't me!!!
                I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Originally posted by JAMiAM
                  Incidentally, it is a bizarre coincidence that one of the principals in this tragedy shares my name. Honest...it isn't me!!!
                  Yes, "Point Slut" could be anyone!
                  Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X