Quiz thread VIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiz thread VIII

It is common knowledge that in Europe during WW II, several successful airborne operations took place. Among the most renowned were the Airborne landings for Operation Overlord and Operation Husky.

What is not so well known is that several airborne operations also took place in the Pacific Theatre.

Where and when did the first large scale (Regimental size or greater) airborne operation take place in the Pacific Theatre ?
    Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Tough question. There was the American 11th airborne division but can't remember if they made any landings.

Commonwealth forces in Burma had some airborne units as well. Nothing large though.

The Japanese also had several airborne regiments that made many landings during the centrifugal offensive. However nothing big comes to mind.
    "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Tough question. Using my airborne specials I recorded on airborne from A&E and the History Channel, coupled with the power of Google I'll go with Sept 5, 1943, Nadzab, Markham Valley. Of course I could be way off.

I know the Japanese made some use of airborne forces, but I don't recall any of their jumps numbering more than 300-400 men.

It would be cheating by saying I have to look up the answers. However, in the process I am gaining wisdom so I guess it ain't too bad.
      "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Deltapooh
        Tough question. Using my airborne specials I recorded on airborne from A&E and the History Channel, coupled with the power of Google I'll go with Sept 5, 1943, Nadzab, Markham Valley. Of course I could be way off.

I know the Japanese made some use of airborne forces, but I don't recall any of their jumps numbering more than 300-400 men.

It would be cheating by saying I have to look up the answers. However, in the process I am gaining wisdom so I guess it ain't too bad.
        That's the one.

The US 503rd Para Inf Regt supported by an Australian artillery battery jump into the airfield at Nadzab in New Guinea for the beginning of the operation to seize Lae from the Japanese.
        Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

And now I know more and feel happy
          "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X