Quiz thread VII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiz thread VII

Here is an easy one to even out the tough # VI.

Although D-Day is commonly recognized as 6 June 1944, D-Day was a common designator of beach assaults in WW II.

What was the last D-Day of WW II and on what date did it take place ?
    Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

April 1st, 1945 Okinawa is my guess.
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Interesting question. If I had to guess I'd say it happened some where in the Dutch East Indies.
      "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT
        April 1st, 1945 Okinawa is my guess.
        Unnnnnggghghhghghhgh!!!!
        That's my version of the NO sound.
        Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Balut Island, Philippines. 20 July 1945.

"landing of American units...who wipe out small Japanese garrison"

Got it from 2194 Days of War...an interesting day-by-day book of WW2. It may not be the correct answer, but while researching this I found an interesting tidbit on the end of the war. It says that 1000 Japanese soldiers actually attacked the Imperial palace to prevent the Emporer from broadcasting his surrender. I had no idea!
          Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

That's a good one, but I'm looking for a major amphibious operation. Since it's close I'll provide a clue.

The last D-Day in WW II was a divisional sized operation carried out by an Allied nation. Not the USA.

Comment

2 May 1945....Indian 26th Division lands just south of Rangoon and advances on the Burmese Capital.
              http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe Tone
                2 May 1945....Indian 26th Division lands just south of Rangoon and advances on the Burmese Capital.
                Wrong Ally. Wrong landing. Wrong date.

Remember, the landing and the date it took place are required.
                Last edited by tigersqn; 08 Jun 03, 14:49.

Comment

What about the British/Indian amphibious/airborne assault on Rangoon, 1st and 2nd May 1945?

Comment

I see Wolfe Tone posted before me anyways.

Comment

Balikpapan?

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck
                        Balikpapan?
                        Got a date ?

Comment

July 11th?

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck
                            July 11th?
                            Close.

On July 1st, 1945, the 7th Australian Division landed at Balikpapan, Borneo in what became recognized as the last large scale amphibious landing of WW II.
                            The landing at Balikpapan is also recognized as the largest all Australian amphibious operation of the War.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X