Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hypothetical 2 : paid tour of 28 days - which of the named historical cities ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hypothetical 2 : paid tour of 28 days - which of the named historical cities ?

    Hypothetical question with poll.


    Of the 25 named cities (all outside the US) which one of them would you pick for a paid tour? The basic rule is that you must spend at least 14 of your 28 days visiting general history / military history sites, museums etc

    A military history magazine is looking for new staff. As a part of your assessment for one of the positions you will be required to make videos (at least 3 per site), interview curators and local people. You will have to submit your reports in video form at the end of each day you nominate as 1 of your 14. As this is hypothetical you can presume that you will be able to do this.
    27
    Cairo
    3.70%
    1
    Johannesburg
    3.70%
    1
    Beijing
    0.00%
    0
    Jerusalem
    3.70%
    1
    New Delhi
    0.00%
    0
    Athens
    0.00%
    0
    Berlin
    3.70%
    1
    Copenhagen
    7.41%
    2
    Dublin
    0.00%
    0
    Edinburgh
    3.70%
    1
    London
    18.52%
    5
    Moscow
    3.70%
    1
    Paris
    3.70%
    1
    Rome
    11.11%
    3
    St. Petersburg
    25.93%
    7
    Vienna
    3.70%
    1
    Warsaw
    0.00%
    0
    Waterloo
    0.00%
    0
    Ypres
    3.70%
    1
    Mexico City
    3.70%
    1
    Toronto
    0.00%
    0
    Rio de Janeiro
    0.00%
    0
    Santiago de Chile
    0.00%
    0
    Canberra
    0.00%
    0
    Wellington
    0.00%
    0
    Last edited by Cosmos; 04 Jan 13, 14:04.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

  • #2
    Moscow

    As in the first poll I'm still of the opinion that for pure density of military (history) museums, Moscow would be the best choice.
    BoRG

    You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, my choice is obvious, but it's also because I know how to spend 28 days here focusing on military history alone.
      www.histours.ru

      Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

      Comment


      • #4
        I went St Petersburg .

        I would focus on WW2, but would try to cover everything possible.
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ShAA View Post
          Well, my choice is obvious, but it's also because I know how to spend 28 days here focusing on military history alone.
          Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
          I went St Petersburg .

          I would focus on WW2, but would try to cover everything possible.
          I gave St. Petersburg serious consideration but in the end chose for Moscow based on the grounds that I expect it to cover a wider timeline in Russian military history.
          BoRG

          You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
            I gave St. Petersburg serious consideration but in the end chose for Moscow based on the grounds that I expect it to cover a wider timeline in Russian military history.
            That's true, in terms of "saturation with historical events per century and square kilometer". But if you look at the province around the St. Petersburg, many wars and battles were fought on its territory since the 12th-13th century when the Swedes started invading these lands, which were under the control of Novgorod at the time. So the "ancient" timeline is there too, albeit not as "packed" as in Moscow.
            www.histours.ru

            Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

            Comment


            • #7
              Hmm...problematic question really. On the face of it, I would likely choose St. Petersburg, as I would likely have a tour guide who could show me around the old siege lines from World War II as well as show me the sites involved in the battle of the Volkhov. However, if I had free access to the Russian state and FSB archives, then I would choose Moscow, and would likely spend the entire time poring over old files armed with a thermos of coffee and my trusted digital camera...

              Comment


              • #8
                London for the simple fact that there's no language barrier. No written barrier anyway, speaking to the Brits might be a different story. Plus, according to the OP, we only have to do 14 days on history in our chosen city. That leaves plenty of time to sample all the fine British ales. And to scoot over to Wales for a few days and try to find out where my particular branch of the Evans' came from.
                Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                  I went St Petersburg .

                  I would focus on WW2, but would try to cover everything possible.
                  I picked Berlin, but St. Pete's was a close 2nd.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I went with London. It is a large city and has lots of historical places. Not all sites are military as well.

                    Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

                    Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

                    by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I voted Copenhagen due to the coast defense forts. St Pete came in second because I would love to nose around the old forts on and near Kronstadt.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                        I voted Copenhagen due to the coast defense forts. St Pete came in second because I would love to nose around the old forts on and near Kronstadt.
                        Well, the Mannerheim Line (and several 1942-1943 Finnish bunker lines) is in just 2 hours' drive from the city and there are big coastal defence forts on both sides of the coast of the gulf of Finland.

                        Besides, there are some well-preserved 1941-1943 bunkers inside the city and the damaged ones, stormed by the Germans in September 1941 at the city's outer defensive perimeter. Some of them were preserved and memorialised.

                        Just saying
                        www.histours.ru

                        Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          St. Petersburg got my vote due to its place in WWII history. Also had an inebriated and interesting evening with a gentleman from that metropolis named Vladimir. Would really like meet him again and to reenact that memorable evening.
                          If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went when they died-Will Rogers

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                            London for the simple fact that there's no language barrier. No written barrier anyway, speaking to the Brits might be a different story. Plus, according to the OP, we only have to do 14 days on history in our chosen city. That leaves plenty of time to sample all the fine British ales. And to scoot over to Wales for a few days and try to find out where my particular branch of the Evans' came from.
                            I said London also. Afterall, you've got over two thousand years of recorded history to choose from..
                            "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Cosmos View Post
                              Hypothetical question with poll.


                              Of the 25 named cities (all outside the US) which one of them would you pick for a paid tour? The basic rule is that you must spend at least 14 of your 28 days visiting general history / military history sites, museums etc

                              A military history magazine is looking for new staff. As a part of your assessment for one of the positions you will be required to make videos (at least 3 per site), interview curators and local people. You will have to submit your reports in video form at the end of each day you nominate as 1 of your 14. As this is hypothetical you can presume that you will be able to do this.
                              You missed Istanbul and absolute awesome city bathed in History I chose Cairo because I wanna go there one day
                              http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X