Twitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twitter

I used Twitter a lot during the Libyan civil war to get up to date info, but I only read stuff.

Just today, I've started using it to write stuff.

How many of you use the service?

Philip
    Yes, I am a regular Twitter user.
    9.09%
    A little, I only read what others are saying.
    18.18%
    No.
    72.73%
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

I have an account but very rarely use it. I am more of a Facebook guy.
    “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
    ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
      I have an account but very rarely use it. I am more of a Facebook guy.
      What is good about Facebook compared to, say, ACG? Serious question - I'd love to be converted (like much of the planet), but I just find the site so badly organized and limiting, especially compared to ACG.

I'm probably missing something that most of the rest of the world gets...........wouldn't be the first time.

Philip
      "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Facebook is a social network that is mostly used for small talk although there are groups you can join and you can also post photos and have chats with your friends. ACG is mostly a history site but there are outside discussions on the message board. The discussion here is more serious and although there are groups and photos on here they are not used as much as on Facebook.

One huge plus for Facebook is that you can look up old friends you haven't seen in years and sometimes find them. I came across people I hadn't seen since high school who I thought I would never see again.
        “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
        ― Groucho Marx

Comment

I have twitter, but it was primarily setup to keep tabs on info... from that perspective it's pretty bland. Facebook is ok, good for keeping in touch with relatives etc.... I have one but don't post much, on the other hand my wife loves it.
          "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
          Ernest Hemingway.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

Comment

No twitter. I use Facebook to keep on the photos of my family. Never have involved anybody else never will/
            My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

I've found many of my old friends from http://www.friendsreunited.com/

My beef with Facebook is that it's so counter-intuitive to navigate.

But that probably just identifies me as a hopeless oldster.

Philip

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
                I used Twitter a lot during the Libyan civil war to get up to date info, but I only read stuff.

Just today, I've started using it to write stuff.

How many of you use the service?

Philip
                Right now I don't have twitter, i hear it is really good for stuff like keeping news tabs, and following businesses/writers you enjoy. i have wondered through there but haven't made the plunge.

Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
                What is good about Facebook compared to, say, ACG? Serious question - I'd love to be converted (like much of the planet), but I just find the site so badly organized and limiting, especially compared to ACG.

I'm probably missing something that most of the rest of the world gets...........wouldn't be the first time.

Philip
                Besides the Family and friends thing, it is weird in the sense that more connected with pages and friends the more lively and active the site becomes. my mother who is the fan of about 3 pages, and friends with under 50 people can read and see what has happened for the past week with her circle of friends in about 5 minutes, and then spends the rest of her time on there playing games.

Compared to myself who is has is a fan of about 10 active pages, and friends with a bit over 500 people it would take me 5 minutes to find things from a full day ago. i see people with over 1,000 and i couldn't imagine not being able to see things from twelve hours ago. So while it is a different sort of social communication the real turning point is amount of information you get on your feed grows tremendously with accordance to pages and friends.

as you know friends are people who you have met etc, the big thing about pages is they are the closest to news sources etc you would primarily get from twitter. that is where my mother gets most of her information about radio contests, she has their pages liked and follows them and doesn't have to worry about listening to 3 stations at once. the majority of active pages i am part of are usually for entertainment and is where i get lots of my laughs for the day from.

Right now Facebook is hitting one of its most stable operating systems, it caught the tail end of the beginning facebook and i had to have a friend coach me about the massive amount of applications needed to run your page. it later hit a massive influx of 'become a fan' pages where one would simply hit become a fan if there was a quote you liked, or a product, when this format linearized into all standard pages the hundreds of pages you had became a fan of began posting constantly as entertainment so for the following month until you manually unliked all those pages there was little in the ways of personal connection. and now about a year from that last change the only difference is changing to the formats to 'timeline' (a minor change you get used to) it has been riding a stable course for now.
                God didn’t create evil. Evil is the result of when man does not have God's love in his heart.It's the cold when there is no heat.The darkness that comes when there is no light

Comment

Don't use it, don't use facebook either. I don't use any social media site (excepting ACG if that counts) IMO it's just another way for 'them' to get to me. I see what happens to my students when they get involved in too much drama on these pages and it's just pitiful. I feel that these things are not needed and serve to waste a lot of time and effort.
                  ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                  IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Do you use Twitter?

Poll added.
                    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

I like the games on Facebook, it's also nice to know that I'm not the only fan of the Bay City Rollers and the Seekers still around.
                      Last edited by the ace; 14 Jan 13, 13:37.
                      Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

I use Twitter intermittently to find information and to throw out invitations to some of the websites I use.

Facebook I use daily as I'm an admin on one of the groups there. It's really not that difficult to use ; whatever you're looking for enter it into the search box at the top of the page ; if you find something of interest, 'like' it and you'll receive updates about it - you can stop the updates if you want. Same procedure for looking for friends but instead of liking them you request friendship. It's becoming more difficult to find people now because there are so many people with common names and a billion (10^9) to look through. If you open a Facebook account include your middle name(s) / nickname(s) because you can't add them later.
                        The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

I don't use Twitter, I used to use Facebook and jacked it in. I don't really like the social network stuff.
                          ------
                          'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

I have both. I hardly use either.
                            This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

It can be useful to catch up on what's happening at a given moment. Many people tweet serious accidents etc
                              The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X