Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Custom

I was wondering if any members from France could answer me on this one:

When I lived in Paris during my youth we went on ski-classes to the Alps once a year. There I once partook in a suprising French custom. All students received a sort of pancake and in one of those pancakes there was a bean. I was one of the 'lucky' ones to get a bean in my pancake.
    As I didn't know what this meant, I was told by my fellow students that, since I got a bean, I was allowed to kiss a girl from my classroom. I chose my elementary shool weetheart Sandrine as the girl to kiss.

Now, what is the name of this custom and is it still practized in France? How common is this custom in French speaking countries?

Any info on this custom would be appreciated!

Greets,
    Stratego
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Statego,it could be,i repeat ,it could be a variant of the "Galette des rois" custom.Was this moment in January ?
    That rug really tied the room together

Comment

coffee bean in the cake

Jason,
      In my youth in the Dutch province of Zeeland we had the same custom during children's parties around Three Kings in January, when a coffee bean was baked inside the cake.

The "reward" for finding the bean could be different though:
      you could be pronounced king/queen of the party and, as you experienced, which gave you the right to kiss the girl/boy of your choice
      However IIRC finding the bean could also entail duties and tasks
      like having to sing the first lines of an appropriate song after which the others would fall in
      or making sure the next dish was served.

The name in French would be "galette des rois"(my translation)
      BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

HEY! Y'AT??

Icky-sticky oo-ey-gooey YELLOW an' GREEN
        Icky-sticky oo-ey-goo wit' PURPLE in -between.
        An' if you're lucky MAYBE,
        You won't get the BABY
        An' hafta buy the King Cake again.

The preceding are the words to a song heard around the New Orleans area near the time for Mardi Gras. (Maybe because there is such a French flavor to the area) The 'KingCake" parties, usually held on Sunday afternoon, after church, were a family or neighborhood get-together where a round or circular coffee-cake type of pastry with Mardi Gras colors of green, yellow and purple icing is distributed to each in attendence. If you were the one who got the piece that had the tiny ceramic 'babyjesus' baked in it then you were "it" and had to host the next week's KingCake party.
        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
          Statego,it could be,i repeat ,it could be a variant of the "Galette des rois" custom.Was this moment in January ?
          Thanks!

That could be since I was on ski-classes...when is this custom practiced during the year?

Greets,
          Stratego
          Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

BORG

Comment

Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
            Jason,
            In my youth in the Dutch province of Zeeland we had the same custom during children's parties around Three Kings in January, when a coffee bean was baked inside the cake.

The "reward" for finding the bean could be different though:
            you could be pronounced king/queen of the party and, as you experienced, which gave you the right to kiss the girl/boy of your choice
            However IIRC finding the bean could also entail duties and tasks
            like having to sing the first lines of an appropriate song after which the others would fall in
            or making sure the next dish was served.

The name in French would be "galette des rois"(my translation)
            That suprises me Jeroen!
            Never heard of this custom in the Dutch-speaking countries

Greets,
            Stratego

BORG

Comment

Originally posted by Stratego View Post
              That suprises me Jeroen!
              Never heard of this custom in the Dutch-speaking countries

Greets,
              Stratego
              Jason, in order not to overburden your capacity for comprehension
              I have included a Belgian link with relevant information mentioning both the French and Germanic origins of this custom

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/det...leid=GIG16H6NV
              BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X