Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Of course they're peaceful, they're vegetarians!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of course they're peaceful, they're vegetarians!

Oh man, where does the Kansas City Star find these goofballs?

I was flipping through the paper over coffee and I came across this spectacularly naive statement by writer Suzanne Conaway in an article on religion and hate.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/12/21...-religion.html

The sentiment is fine by itself. But I wanted to zero in on this particular statement that just about made me spit coffee.

Iíd always thought of Hinduism as peaceful. My impression is that many followers are vegetarians because they donít believe in killing animals. However, it seems that killing and persecuting Muslims is OK for some Hindus.
    Wait, wait wait! You thought that Hindusim, a religion with practices like sati and caste, was totally cool because they were vegetarians???? How in the name of the Animal Liberation Front did you ever get such a wild conclusion?

Why do I get the feeling she got her views of India from Eat Pray Love? I am reminded of Dinesh D'Souza's remarks in 2016, mentioning college kids who had this romanticized view of India as a land of gurus seeking inner peace and chanting Om. Instead of a land with diversity going quite a bit deeper than the Durand Line with political and ethnic violence to match.

But seriously, vegetarians?

Nah, don't mind them, they're vegetarians!
    It's not even entirely true that they're all vegetarians but still vegetarian = pacifism? You thought this continent of multiple empires was totally chilled until you saw news that Hindus have comitted violence against Muslims?

Guess not everyone got the memo.

A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Chances are she had little idea of much about Hinduism, including the existence of Sati (still banned). As a religion with so many adherents it often doesn't get much of a look in the media compared to, say, Christianity (makes sense, being big in the West) Judaism and Islam (hot news topics, also big in parts of the West) and Budhism, which is right up there with Crystals for new-age trendy folk in the West. Has Hinduism had much international media light since George Harrison played Sitar?
    A lot of my childhood in Britain was in the Midlands, with Hinuds and Sikhs - we celebrated Diwali at school and went to Hindu places of worship as part of Religious Studies (along with Christian, Muslim and Sikh ones) - but not many people are likely to get to such grips with Hinduism on first hand, not here or in many other parts of the world, but that's fairly understandable- if there are no Hindus (or whoever) around, you wont get to meet 'em there.

Going on the article I think it's fair to say with lines like 'Geez, such a lot of hate. There’s probably lots of religious hatreds that I’ve missed. Like my minister says, “Some people are so sure they’re right, they do wrong to prove they’re right.” ' she's not a journalist?
    ------
    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Well it said Special to The Star under her name so maybe she isn't a regular.
      A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Some of the great unwashed place themselves "above" animals, so the killing or casting of a human is, well ok. Merry Christmas!
        In Vino Veritas

Comment

Well, how many societies were there that only ate vegetables? Not many, if any at all. Of those people that ate only vegetables, did they have the need to go out and conquer the known world? Doubt it, because everything they needed was all around them. Roots, tubers, bulbous, leafy and stalky vegetables, as well as various fruits, berries and nuts. With good management you can grow a lot of nutrition without the need to go out securing territory to graze animals or grow grain, both of which are quite intensive if you want to feed a city or a nation of cities. However, perhaps its the nutrition that plays a role in vegetarian's state of mind. Applying the chi concept. A balance is needed to maintain a healthy life. Too much and too little chi is bad. Vegetables have less chi than an animal. However you don't want to eat too much of either. Too many vegetables = low chi. Too much meat = high chi. Chi is a measure of "life force". Obviously eating a lot of something that moves, can reproduce more moving offspring, has an organ structure like ours, a nervous system, and consumes a lot of energy will give us a lot of chi as that animal has lots of chi.

Perhaps thats why the Mongols conquered so much of the world. They were full of chi and had so much of it that they nearly conquered all of Asia, the Middle East, and Europe. While you never hear of a strict vegetarian group of people bent on dominating the world. I think only monks are the only group of people who abstain from eating flesh. Except for Tibetans, the lay people do consume animal products, monks have never really formed an empire of their own, even if a select few are good at martial arts.
          The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Iíd always thought of Hinduism as peaceful. My impression is that many followers are vegetarians because they donít believe in killing animals. However, it seems that killing and persecuting Muslims is OK for some Hindus.
            Yes, but they didn't eat them. I think it's OK as long as you don't eat them.
            Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
              Yes, but they didn't eat them. I think it's OK as long as you don't eat them.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Vegetarian nations? Try the Romans, whose gladiators and legions were primarily fed a porridge and bread made of easily transportable grain that didn't spoil like meat did.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  ...the Romans, whose gladiators and legions were primarily fed a porridge and bread made of easily transportable grain that didn't spoil like meat did.
                  That's interesting.
                  Didn't know that.
                  I wonder if it tasted good.
                  "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

When did any military in history care how the field rations "tasted"?

Grain was cheap. easily transportable in bulk, and required only water to prepare, with a pinch of salt. Since the Roman armies were partially paid in salt, that was always available as well.

Game and livestock were unreliable sources for large armies in the field, but local fruits and vegetables were also used in available, and could be dried and shipped if not.

The Romans also provided hard cheeses, which also did not spoil, to the troops in the field.

It wasn't until Napoleon that armies solved the problems of canning and preserving field rations, beginning with vegetables vacuum packed in champagne bottles. Prior to that, salting meat heavily was the only way to preserve it for long, as smoking was too cumbersome for large scale use and required too much fuel, and the British Navy was infamous for the terrible quality of it's partially rotten salt pork and salt beef, and the weevils that infested the hardtack bread.
                    Last edited by Mountain Man; 29 Dec 12, 13:34.

Comment

Why do I get the feeling she got her views of India from Eat Pray Love?
                      "A common thug can kill someone, but it takes the talents of an intelligence service to make a murder appear to be a suicide or accident death." -- James Angleton, CIA, Chief of Counterintelligence.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X