Winter Solstice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Solstice

Well, happy Winter Solstice, everyone. Currently it's about 9 degrees, the wind is gusting to 55 mph, which is actually down from yesterday where it was gusting to 75, and we have five hours 19 minutes of daylight.

Somtimes I can't remember why I live in Alaska.

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
    Well, happy Winter Solstice, everyone. Currently it's about 9 degrees, the wind is gusting to 55 mph, which is actually down from yesterday where it was gusting to 75, and we have five hours 19 minutes of daylight.

Somtimes I can't remember why I live in Alaska.
    And a Happy Winter Solstice to you as well.

Could it be you live in AK for the 18 hours and 39 minutes of daylight you'll be basking in a mere 6 months from now?

Comment

Originally posted by Gorque View Post

Could it be you live in AK for the 18 hours and 39 minutes of daylight you'll be basking in a mere 6 months from now?
      Ah, yes. Now I remember.

Comment

That's a lot of daylight. How far north are you?

Comment

That's a lot of daylight. How far north are you?
          Not very. I live in Palmer, about 40 miles north of Anchorage. South Central. It's not nearly as cold here as it gets in Fairbanks or the interior.

Comment

I live in Urals, they have been forecasting about 30 C below zero for about 7 days in a row, but it never was colder than -23 C here. Yet.
            "Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

Comment

Originally posted by dmf01 View Post
              I live in Urals, they have been forecasting about 30 C below zero for about 7 days in a row, but it never was colder than -23 C here. Yet.
              Thay's very cold. So far this year we've seen about -25 F where I live. Fairbanks has gotten down to about -45 or -50 F. Try not to freeze off anything important!

Comment

Thay's very cold. So far this year we've seen about -25 F where I live. Fairbanks has gotten down to about -45 or -50 F. Try not to freeze off anything important!
                Ah, we've got metric system here. It took me some time to convert, so: -25F = -31.67 C. -50F = -45.56C! We haven't had such cold for long-long time - I can remember, when I was a child, in '70s, it was -53C (about -64F) during New Year night - it was so cold that the bottle of fizzy wine (it was kept on our balcony) broke due to frost because water inside turned into ice. But it happened just once. Recent decades it's scarcely descends below -30-35 C (-22-31F). Usually, significantly warmer. The recent days are relatively cold, as I've said - about -25F. We got used here. It's alright if it's warm inside the house. Besides the fact that my latitude is 58 N (Fairbanks is at 64.55' N) we have strictly continental climate here: +30 C in Summer and -30 C in Winter (86 and -22 F respectively). And, even now, when it's a bit frosty outside I declare that I hate heat the most. When it comes to 25 C (77 F) and higher - it's starts being uncomfortable for me.
                Thank you llkinak for your best wishes, take care as well!
                Last edited by dmf01; 21 Dec 12, 13:53.
                "Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

Comment

May Crom continue his disinterested countenance concerning you all, my friends, on this Winter Solstice.

Outside my house, just the other side of the road, is a three mile long, narrow river that connects the nearby village lake/pond with a local canal. It has increased significantly in volume over the past 24 and given the flood warnings in much of the isle I'm a little concerned it might burst its banks and damage my living room. And you thought Katrina was bad.
                  ------
                  'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

That goes for me too.

"Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Not very. I live in Palmer, about 40 miles north of Anchorage. South Central. It's not nearly as cold here as it gets in Fairbanks or the interior.

friend of mine spent some time in Anchorage
                      and told me it was colder in the winter in his native Minnesota.

we are getting a cold front down here in SW Fla
                      it supposed to get down into the high 30's tonite
                      which means I gotta get all our tropical birds inside
                      of they will die..

they aren't very hardy...
                      Human beings are the only creatures who are able to behave irrationally in the name of reason.

Comment

Originally posted by KICK View Post
                        friend of mine spent some time in Anchorage
                        and told me it was colder in the winter in his native Minnesota.
                        I certainly can be colder in Minnesota from time to time. Anchorage is actually pretty mild, I believe due to it's proximity to the ocean. Still, Anchorage is usually good for some long cold snaps every year where it won't get above zero for a week or two. The main thing about Alaskan winters is they're just so damn loooong. It's not unheard of to have snow from early October through late April or early May. Six or seven months wears just a bit. Still, I prefer the weather here to North Carolina or Arizona. I can't do hot or hot and humid very well.

Comment

Keep together, keep everyone warm,

Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

What he said. Because Crom will do what he will.

It was damned cold here this morning. For here-after having no winter I'm told and the hottest, driest summer nearly on record. Upper 20's, and wind chills 5-10. I was told last winter it got to the upper 20's 2-3 times, and one day(a couple hours) of sleet. I told them Crom will wreak havoc this year. Believe me.

Originally posted by Selous View Post
                            May Crom continue his disinterested countenance concerning you all, my friends, on this Winter Solstice.

Outside my house, just the other side of the road, is a three mile long, narrow river that connects the nearby village lake/pond with a local canal. It has increased significantly in volume over the past 24 and given the flood warnings in much of the isle I'm a little concerned it might burst its banks and damage my living room. And you thought Katrina was bad.
                            This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X